Real Chat: Dynamic Spawns

Skull cave for the lieutenant item, Thunder lizards for the warrior defense quest, a number of other areas as well have been seeing insane frequency of dynamic spawning. Often there are not even many players nearby. Often you do not even have time to loot a corpse before the mob has already respawned.

It really seems quite a bit over-tuned, and I have to wonder why things left beta in this state.

5 Likes

They were undertuned in beta and on the next to last stress test, leaving lots of players standing around waiting for mob respawns, and Blizzard tinkered with the formula a bit.

The formula is as of now quite borked. Instant respawns should NEVER be a thing.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree tbh. Feels like a private server sometimes.

2 Likes

Agreed. And if certain camps remain at this frequency I can see the economy taking a :poop: due to AOE farming.

What I don’t get is, there are the dramatic respawns like you mention, where I and others have died. Then there are those named quest targets that still have their few minute plus spawn times hindering all those on the quests. I spent nearly 20+ minutes waiting for a chance to be able to get Kreege(?) in The Barrens and that was with parties of 5 waiting their turn. It didn’t help that someone grief-ed a few of the groups by keeping the first tag on him. Still bitter about that.

I’ve actually encountered mobs which respawned as I was starting the initial pull. In a few cases, I’ve also seen double-spawns.

3 Likes

I thought at first it was my game play style. (taking 7-10 hits on a mob to kill it)

But more often now I’m seeing whole groups of mobs simultaneously spawn into the game and immediately rush to attack. In WoW’s history, respawns always had a delay of a couple seconds before they would ‘see’ you and then attack. What I’m experiencing feels more like the early phasing issues that BfA had as it only seems to happen when I’m alone in a area or cave.

That’s how it was in vanilla. It seems particularly bad because that zone is overpopulated.

That delay still exists. If you think they’re running in and attacking immediately upon spawning, it’s only because you didn’t notice them.

1 Like

I have always believed that each player who participates in killing an enemy should be able to loot the body without needing to form a party. In Guild Wars 2 each enemy has a damage table and a threshold value of damage done to it by the player before it will give full credit for the kill. This value is about 5% to 10% of the enemy’s health. The loot dropped is unique to the player, and loot received by one player does not affect what another player receives. One enemy may drop the same rare item for multiple players.

Supporting your allies contributes toward earning rewards for killing enemies and damaging event bosses as well, healing and applying buffs is considered contribution.

In many ways the respawn rate feels pretty good. However, Chok’suls 10 min respawn didn’t feel very good lol

Sorry, but I played throughout vanilla, and it was NEVER like this. There were never instant respawns. There were never 2x spawns. The way classic currently is behaving is akin to PS dynamic spawns where tight areas like caves are certain death traps.

2 Likes

Ya the named mobs should have a bit faster respawn time until stuff evens out. I also may have been one of those people who ran in stole the mob as I arrived then left, all about that first tag.

Sorry but I played all the way through vanilla and it was often like this.

The mines in elwynn forest were known deathtraps because of this respawn behavior.

That’s how it was in vanilla. Your memory is wrong.

I’ve definitely never seen any of this, but I wouldn’t be aware if it were different from vanilla anyway. Wow isn’t really a game where you pay attention to respawning, like EverQuest. It just happens in the background.

Shh made that quest very easy for me!

if you think thats bad, then just wait until you do test of endurance in 1k needles
those respawns are completely insane, and you practically need a 5-man group to do that quest
skull rock was bad too

1 Like

I agree that at times they do respawn to quickly, often immediately after the previous mob died. But I would rather play around the possibility of an immediate respawn than fight with a swarm of players over tags.

Skull rock is indeed insane, as is the mine in the northeast corner of the barrens. Literal instant respawns.