Re: Random targeting/un-targeting

Not entirely sure how to explain this, I’ll be running around Valdrakken and randomly my game will start targeting and un-targeting players in an instant, too fast to get a look at who is actually being targeted. On a similar note, I’ll be running around with my dressing room window open looking at appearances and then the game will randomly shuffle between 2-3 other players gear sets and put them on my character in the dressing room… keep in mind I turn with my mouse so I’m not targeting anyone while running around in circles and only clicking items from my bag/appearance tab. It all seems random when it happens, I haven’t been able to find a setting or addon I have that might cause something like this. I use base UI with very few QOL/raid addons.

Any information would be great, thank you!

3 Likes

Noticing this as well. Seems only to have recently been doing it. Will attempt to capture the behavior and upload a vid.

This is what is happening:

Have also tried with third party unit frames and the same thing occurs.

1 Like

Are you using action targeting by chance?

1 Like

Nope. Never had that enabled.

What addons are you using? Maybe there is a common denominator between those who are having this issue. Personally I’ve never had this happen, so I don’t even know where to begin with trying to find out a cause.

I wish I’d known this thread existed so I wouldn’t have mistakenly attributed it to a third-party problem for close to two months now.  I do not nor ever have had action targeting enabled, either.

Still happens even when ClassicUI and Classic Frames are disabled, too.

1 Like

Do you have any addons? Let me know and I can see if we have any in common that I can try and isolate.

ClassicUI and Classic Frames are the only major addons I use for the main UI, but let’s check… :thinking:

• Addon Control Panel
  • Altoholic
  • Atlas
  • AtlasLoot
  • BadBoy
  • Battle Pet BreedID
  • Can I Mog It?
  • Chatter
  • Classic Quest Log
  • CT_Mod
  • Deadly Boss Mods
  • Decursive
  • Deja Character Stats
  • Details!
  • GatherMate2
  • Grid
  • HandyNotes (w/ DF xpac module)
  • Hide Clean Up Bags Button
  • Pawn
  • PetTracker
  • Rarity
  • Rematch
  • SimulationCraft
  • TaintLess
  • Pet Battle Scripts
  • WoWthing

OK great! So if it IS an addon, the only ones you have that I also have are:

I’ll try disabling these when I get a chance and see if the issues goes away.

UPDATE: Disabling the addons we have in common does NOT resolve the issue so I am concluding it is a game issue that people may or may not be noticing. Will leave this pending as a game bug.

1 Like

Just saw this thread. Ive been having this same issue for awhile now. I honestly couldnt tell if it was the game or if my eyes were playing tricks on me. Sometimes its frequent and sometimes its not. I have no clue what could be causing it.

2 Likes

It definitely took me a little while to work out that I wasn’t just imagining it as well. I ended up recording the game footage and slowing it down to 5% speed to work out what was happening. I’m certain it’s a base game issue and is affecting many people but just goes unnoticed. I can’t remember exactly when it first started but I would guess sometime in the last couple of weeks? EDIT: OP posted 20 days ago, so I guess make that some time in the last 3 weeks.

3 Likes

It’s definitely been going on longer than 3 weeks. I would say at least the entirety of 10.1.5’s release, but possibly longer, based on my experience.

1 Like

It is because of auras or something, like the trinket that shares stats ect. You can /targetlasttarget and inspect what is on them. Also mobs adding you to their table it seems, like getting in range of some of the world bosses.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this strange second-long targeting issue happen as well. It’s been going on for a while now; several weeks at the very least. I honestly chalked it up to one of my addons behaving weirdly and figured it would be fixed eventually.

This is anecdotal and it may be unrelated, but the toons I’ve actively noticed this happen on have had the Ominous Chromatic Essence trinket equipped.

It happens on all of my characters and only two of them have Chromatic.

They didn’t used to target you like this either. It didn’t start in 10.1.0 but I feel like I noticed it when doing one of the 10.0 world bosses for July’s traveler’s log…so between 10.1.0 and 10.1.5? Not even sure if it’s really related to the issue being seen here with players being the targets, either.

1 Like

I noticed this happening the other day, as well. I did have the essence on that character but it may be happening on others, just not as noticeable since I keep my targets at the top of my screen.

I also reported an issue not too long ago where I was constantly learning and unlearning PVP talents in Valdrakken when people walked by my augmentation evoker (when not in war mode) so I think there are definitely aura issues going on, in general.

I’ll give this ago next time it occurs and see if I can identify any commonalities.

Ok so I have determined the last 4 players to target me have all had this trinket equipped:

Paracausal Fragment of Frostmourne - Item - World of Warcraft (wowhead.com)

3 Likes