Re-Enable the Character Clone Service - Players Want to Return

As another user pointed out in a different topic,

For those coming back to WoW Classic Era without Clone…one thing you need to understand. If you and your buddies aren’t all coming back, you will likely have to get involved in a GDKP guild.

Currently the game isnt in the same state it once was, and the environment does not foster Server growth or player retention, there is a distinct lack of progression guilds, social guilds or any other type, for the most part the servers are currently dominated by GDKP runs, which provide a direct avenue to gear with no side-streets leading to wider community growth. Not everyone who originally played classic raided naxx finished all their goals or was done with the experience, re-opening Character Cloning will lead to an immediate mass-influx of players; some which will just come to quickly check out the game again, however I would wager many of which will form new guilds and groups which arent focusing on selling gear in GDKP runs and will actually lead to long-tem sustained server growth.

Unfortunately the current state of the game, is this exact reason that the hype currently behind classic wow which has rapidly accumulated will dwindle and die if blizzard doesnt act immediately and effectively,

Re-Enable Character Cloning to Classic-Era people want to return, they want to play the characters they invested countless days weeks and months on, and they are willing and happy to pay for the service.

No rational person believes for a second that the data behind our characters was deleted, given that it would demonstrate an incredible lack of understanding, awareness empathy and business acumen on blizzards part, especially given the fact that the entire struggle behind classic WoW’s development was the lack of server backups early on in the development process. Imagine for a second that the same company then intentionally delete their own data immediately following completion rofl, yeah somehow that seems a little unlikely.

We all know it was a tactic used in order to propegate FOMO, and we seriously dont care, walk back the statement, come up with some excuse like we found back-up data on a thumb-drive in Steve’s basement again, we really dont care. Just give us our characters back and let us play, aside from annoying players that they were deleted and forced transfered in the first place not re-enabling the service is actively discarding free money and frustrating potential returning customers even further.

TL/DR Give us our characters back, we will pay let us play!

14 Likes

There seems to be more SR than GDKPs.
Players are doing runs at all levels.
Lots of progression guilds.

If you cared for classic or your toons why didn’t you make an effort in last few years?

3 Likes

Some of us took a break directly after classic, life happens, and the fact that not one direct notification was sent to any players that this service would be discontuniued unless you were actively monitoring the forums or blizzard app is extremely disappointing, and stopped many of us from taking action to save our characters before they were unknowingly taken from us.

The real question is why would anyone who actually cared about the classic community be actively trying to prevent players and members of the original classic community from returning to it unless they are trolling or gate keeping, both of which would be the actions of a toxic member within it, and I would say would be one of the issues new players joining it are facing today.

6 Likes

It took a long time for the economy to settle, we had a dead world for years, having a influx of toons with lots of gold and gear is not necessarily a good thing.

Also, at this point it is probably better for the community if players return as level 1 to keep the world alive and players having to gear up is good.

The people that cared about classic or their toons copied them over. How did you have time to level to 71 but not copy?

2 Likes

are you actually suggesting you are able to decide how much other players care about their own characters? or whether or not players deserve to keep their own characters, or whether or not they should be able to return to the game? lol… just wow the ego… On top of concerns it might upset their GDKP economy…

I think we just found the problem new players are facing in the the classic-era community right here in the threads first response, thank you for providing an example.

In regards to myself… because I logged in and tried wrath and left it?

Blizzard Character Clones need to be re-enabled immediately so that Classic-Era can grow like it once did, otherwise well new players have to deal with people like this.

4 Likes

The fact is that there was a long period of time to copy the characters and it was not done.

Outside the few people that literally could not access their account, lacked funds, had health issues, etc. that seems like a pretty objective case for not caring enough about the toon or classic.

Classic era will grow regardless of what happens because it is a good game. Best of luck in your efforts.

1 Like

No, Blizzard already decided you abandoned Classic Era and hence your toons here were purged.

2 Likes

Sorry time to relevel.

1 Like

I totally agree, let me play my hunter again! I never wanted to play Wrath or TBC and this choice was made for me, I would be quite happy to pay for my character to be cloned so long as I can continue my time on classic-era on my main.

3 Likes

Damn right I want back in, I can’t post the let me in meme here but y’know. Let me in, with my clone.

5 Likes

Haha that meme pretty much captures the sentiment perfectly

2 Likes

Clones coming in hot

2 Likes

haha not sure how you actually post images, some people can its weird, however thats pretty much the vibe atm… let us in!

1 Like

It’s not your place to judge why people did or didn’t clone their characters. Character services has historically been permanent and players had no reason to think their characters would be deleted. For me personally I always planned to return to my characters, but was taking a break and didn’t have any reason to immediately clone them unsuspecting it wouldn’t always be an option.

Why are you arguing so hard in favor of people losing hard work they have put into the game? It just feels like bad karma and makes you seem like a genuinely bad human being. Toxic personalities is one of the biggest problems with wow classic and everybody knows it. You fit the bill. You seem like a truely miserable and insufferable person. Only a really sad person would take joy in other folks losses.

4 Likes

That is such a weird argument. My characters haven’t been purged from retail and I’ve been basically inactive for 10 years. Totally illogical.

3 Likes

Exactly if our characters were purged every time we quit the game for a few years. I would come back to retail with my char being purged every time I quit the game and came back. I have quit and come back so many times in the last 15 years. Imagine every time I came back my chars were gone because blizzard thinks I abandon it and I don’t deserve my char anymore rofl

1 Like

No characters were purged. They were on were always ‘progression servers’ and they simply continued to tbc and wrath. This is basically how retail works and the servers automatically update to the newest expansion.

While I may not agree with the choice, era servers are not the main ‘classic’ timeline and one had to copy their characters to them.

i think it’s sad how some people really can’t just let it go :expressionless:
they must be young 20 somethings
when you get to my age, you just don’t have the time, energy, or inclination to make a big deal about losing a vidya game character.

This made me chuckle. Aurumai, you are the most triggered guy on these forums, bar none :laughing:.

I was right, your a middle aged Gate keepers reliving your glory days of 2004, when times just weren’t so rough on ya. you banana :hear_no_evil:

2 Likes