RDF Confusion

There seems to be a huge misunderstanding in the community on why RDF is not being used for Wotlk. I keep seeing arguments from players, forum users, and even youtubers about Blizzards reasoning behind the removal of the tool. Feel free to criticize but when Blizzard says they want to protect the social aspect by not adding it I interpreted that as in Blizz saying “we don’t want to add Cross-realm integration into Classic.” which I 100% agree is part of retail’s main issue with socializing.
The issue I personally have is that it’s hard to take players seriously on retail’s RDF when I know I will never see them again. Also, the RDF tool is probably the catalyst of why you see people walking around Oribos that aren’t on your realm.

I also heard the argument from Scottejaye’s youtube video ‘The TRUTH about the “NEW” LFG tool in WOTLK Classic’ saying you talk in Heroic TBC Dungeons because they’re actually hard but in Wotlk they won’t be. In a blue post 4 weeks ago (Developer Update on Wrath of the Lich King Classic - Wowhead News)
Blizzard mentioned they wanted to make Heroic Dungeons more difficult and rewarding, they also wanted to make them relevant throughout the Wotlk life span. If they achieve this goal, I don’t see why you wouldn’t talk in a Wotlk heroic pug.

That being said I don’t think the new Wotlk LFG tool is perfect or even great for that matter, but I do think if we gave actual constructive criticism and worked towards fixing the LFG tool instead of crying for the RDF tool, we could break the retail timeline and have a better and more Classic feeling WoW.

P.S: Worst case scenario if Blizzard’s wrong, they can just add RDF later which would line up more accurately with Wotlk’s original content timeline anyway.

52 Likes

I like the positivity here. What’s done is done at this point. The decision on dungeon finder could be reverted eventually, but right now it would be much more helpful if people gave constructive feedback rather than just incessantly spamming the forums with the same threads day in and day out. It’s really no wonder why the blues hardly ever interact with us anymore.

23 Likes

I have several bnet friends I have added because I ran a dungeon/raid with them using the random que system. Even have had some move servers to join the guild.

You milage will vary but socializing isn’t something to be constructed, it happens organically.

47 Likes

You’re not wrong about that, but you can certainly create an environment that facilitates socializing or not. And dungeon finder definitely does not.

15 Likes

Aside from asking them to just put in RDF which is my preferred solution, we have definitely given feedback.

1. When you receive an invite it should inform you what group/dungeon it’s coming from. You are capable of signing up for things, but when the invite comes you don’t know what group it is. Retail does this already, and very effectively

2. Don’t restrict LFG access, we don’t want the finder clogged with people who have no intention of using it just to use the chat.

3. Allow users to filter and search better (It’s hard to explain exactly how, but blizzard could just copy/paste the search function from retail)

etc. etc.

Honestly in summary: Just use Retails groups finder, it accomplishes the same thing, its been tried and tested for years now. Just because we want RDF over either of these options doesn’t mean people haven’t provided feedback. It’s all over the forums.

This is the main criticism right now. That’s not the worst case scenario, it’s the worst case scenario that they FORCE us to use this tool by restricting access to chat and never add dungeon finder. Something has to give here, you can’t do a bad take on dungeon finder and FORCE people into it.

13 Likes

If we are forced to use the LFG tool, all people are asking is for it to be designed well, instead of what they currently have on beta

2 Likes

Considering I just gave an example of how it did, I have to disagree. THe dungeon finder put players in the same location. If they choose to socialize, then socializing happens. If they choose to not, then, nope.

Boosting can either be staring at a wall or chatting with other players while we stare at walls.

It’s what we make of it.

8 Likes

No you aren’t. PvP is cross realm AND cross faction… No one seems to care.

Nor do you in PvP.

There are 3 types of players:

1. Players who want to provide accessibility to everyone.
  2. Players who only care about themselves.
  3. Trolls just to stir :poop: up.

New LFD tool is trash. I’ve outlined it’s flaws on day 1.

Blizzard claims to listen to the community. And they’re lying. Openly. Not even a drop of shame. It has already been proven. Over and over. In Ulduar they will come back, and say “We’ve heard the overwhelming feedback on lack of RDF so we have decided to add it YAY WE ARE THE BEST WE LISTEN TO YOU”.

Exact same thing happens on retail every single patch.

TBC Heroics are MUCH harder.
Do you know how much communication was going on during Phase 1?
I’l show yal.

• Hi.
  • GG
  • Rogue CC diamond
  • Mage sheep moon.
  • “Player X leaves the party”.

That’s about it.

31 Likes

You literally have to be in the same location to run a dungeon as a group. Dungeon finder doesn’t add this mechanic to the game. It just automates it.

Dungeon finder isn’t the reason why players are in the same location. The dungeon is.

Correct. And once again, you can encourage people to make something out of it or not. Removing the necessity of communication discourages it. Dungeon finder isn’t the reason why people don’t talk in groups, but it makes it possible to form a group and run an entire dungeon without a single word, which is not the case now.

1 Like

Dungeon finder sure does make that grouping process a lot less complicated. Which means I will be doing dungeon with randoms instead of guild only.

But, that’s how I play. Others might PUG with /chat spam or /tells. Fact is that dungeon finder doesn’t hurt socializing.

19 Likes

It’s part of a game dev’s job to protect the player base from itself because at the end of the day if it was up to the players, they will take the easy way out every time even at the cost of a worse player experience.

If you have time to spare, I highly recommend the video below; it’s based off of the decision to remove the quest tracker, but I think a lot of points can be shared with RDF.
Blizzard Have 180’d Their Plan After Backlash… Should They? (HIDDEN DANGER) - YouTube

5 Likes

They do. They clearly said it in their comment that you linked. Why are your feelings towards the subject more important?

1 Like

In a perfect world I do think PvP would be a more enjoyable and social experience if you only faced people on your realm.
A good example of that was in Classic I did BG premades on Kurinnaxx, we happened to que into another Kurinnaxx premade. I could tell as soon as everyone in my group found out the stakes got higher. Everyone wanted to win so bad. We beat them and everyone was so happy practically jumping out of their chairs. People immediately went to the realm discord and bantered with the opposing team. That’s something I remember to this day 2 years later even though I did countless premade BGs.

Realistically if we did have same-realm BGs they would rarely pop on most realm because of the player-base choosing realms that are clearly faction dominated. Maybe with same-faction BGs being a thing now it would work though? Maybe it would be even more interesting since you’re facing your friends and guildies on your realm? : ) Food for thought

6 Likes

Two points.

1. They can remove the cross-realm aspect without removing the RDF tool. They already use custom groups in their server system as is.

2. Their “stated reason” for removing RDF was that they want to recapture the Vanilla feel. Which is a problem, because people wanted Wrath for Wrath. Different people from those who watned Vanilla for Vanilla. Picking and choosing by changing who the target audience is, is guaranteed to damage the game, because they have Era servers for people who want Vanilla. No-one who wants Wrath, wanted no RDF, because it was part of Wrath. Those who didn’t want RDF want Vanilla in Northrend.

16 Likes

I don’t think Blizzard honestly cares about the ‘social aspect’. If they did, I could faction change my alliance Druid to play with my friends.

I really wish they’d stop turning this into wotlk SOM though…

10 Likes

Some of these servers have 3,4,5,6+ times more the population than Wrath servers had.

Chances of you seeing the same people are already low and layers are essentially different realm populations you can switch between.

9 Likes

That’s right.
What about PvE’rs on those exact realms on the opposite faction though?
Faerlina is ~25k Horde So the remaining 200 Alliance are stuck. Again, no one seems to care about it.

Also, if you play on one of those mega servers of 20k+ pop, I’m sorry mate, but there is no “identity” anymore. I play on Pagle and to this day, I rarely ever, maybe once a week, will encounter a familiar name, thinking “oh, I recall something similar, but I can’t remember anything about it whether or not he was good or bad”, because in between our meets, I’ve encountered 5,000 other players

Indeed.
They should make Wrath SoM without RDF, nerf boosting, buffed content…But then it will only prove how wrong they were and they’d never allow it.

3 Likes

I completely agree that layers and mega servers are an issue that should be addressed with hard caps on populations if they really do care about the social life of these realms.

5 Likes

There’s a really good addon for LFG tool on retail called Premade Group Filter. It works really well.

Other that taking some of that addon’s ideas for filtering making the UI look clean and providing more information when invites get sent out would be great too.

People can give their opinions on wanting RDF here, that’s what the forums are for. Any expectations of getting it put into the game from forum posts, at least right away, are not realistic though. Blizzard has decided to go another direction and is investing resources in doing so. if that direction doesn’t work maybe things will change.

The only thing I find really annoying is people attacking others for liking the social aspects of this game, which is an MMO and MMOs trend to be designed for some social elements. While they themselves are posting on the forums for said game where really only the “most dedicated” over the playerbase even visits.

AS or the PVP argument by that poster that’s only a narrative and that poster refuses to understand that some people aren’t even happy with the direction PVP has gone because that doesn’t fit. He thinks Blizzard is going to read that and change something (lol).