"RDF caused WoW to lose subs" argument

Having agency over who I play with is the best part about this version and the worst part of RDF and retail. I am not controlling other people from forming a group! It’s their laziness and misery doing that. I form groups in minutes and have been grinding dungeons on multiple alts having a blast.

2 Likes

I <3 that you posted that. Well done. =)

I agree with you. I think it truly started back when they introduced paid transfers and paid name changes. Prior to that you had to re-invest in a toon to switch servers. Your friends play elsewhere? You had to earn the ability to play with them again. Then, overnight, all the people who were toxic on a realm could simply pay to hide behind a name change or transfer. Losing that accountability on characters was a fairly small shift but participated in the problem. RDF doubled down.

Why do people even get caught up on this when the game has way worse things in it like mass gdkp with botted gold.

Gdkp removes the social aspect from the game far more than RDF ever can.

3 Likes

Ironically GDKP is a social dynamic, since it’s you know created by the player base.

It’s tough to un-ring a bell.

I’m with you and wish they’d take that seriously. That also tanks the game.

No… WoW peaked because all the players wanted to see the conclusion to the giant cliff hanger that was left on WC3 + The announcement of Cataclysm

1 Like

Again, for people that want to basically be “the 1%”, you already have a guild with friends so who cares at the end of the day for you, that’s right, you shouldn’t but you want too.

Not really, do you consider raid logging lazy? Daily logging lazy? By your logic, yes.

Good for you, questing and doing other things alongside dungeons is my primary thing while “waiting” to do dungeons. I’m hardly waiting and doing nothing when doing this, I’m multitasking.

I agree with you.

Cataclysm seemed like it was going to be amazing. The idea of being able to fly in the old world and have it all re-vamped. It was a huge draw. We benefit from hindsight now. Leading up to cata, you couldn’t know what it would end up being.

RDF was an addictive tool that removed important frictions from the game. I don’t think it’s why WoW ‘retained’ the users. It’s definitely what changed the culture on our realm almost overnight. It was too convenient. How awesome they aren’t going to ruin the game again.

Huh? I can’t really make out your point.

I don’t think you know what logic means.

He made claim I want to control people. I am not controlling people. That is the only point of fact. People can do whatever they want. They don’t even have to pay to play this version they don’t like. But, I’m going to because it’s awesome.

Simple, then the statement doesn’t apply to you. Not sure why you responded to it.

Jeeze this guy takes himself way too seriously.

Yup, RDF alone made WoW peak. Not the content, world design, raids, PvP. Just RDF.

The point is, you want to insert yourself as the center of attention. No one likes you.

You want to control people though, you dictate a player by wanting RDF as lazy when they use it while doing other things, while you on the other hand are hype focused on one thing. And ironically, it’s not the “real” version of wrath, its a Sudo version to appease a minority mindset that is more toxic and is going to ruin the expansion as a hole.

which also applies to EVERY DPS OUT THERE, that’s the sad/dumb part about this. The only people “waiting” are tanks and healers for a couple mins because they can’t do multiple things like a dps can.

Random
dungeon
Finder.

It’s not RDF alone. It’s a combinaison of many things. If you look at short term metrics, people will say RDF didn’t impact subs. If you look at long term, RDF is sort of the beginning of a downhill that WoW never recovered from. Long term view vs short term view. Both argument are somewhere not false, just used to different context.

Plenty of people like me. I’m okay if you don’t. You aren’t important to me.

I don’t care what version it is. I like what they released because they left out such a toxic system.

whole

I don’t care how you use a tool available to you. I’m glad they aren’t putting RDF in the game. It’s terrible. You seem to think these things are connected. They are not. You can do whatever you want. I don’t know you. I don’t care what you do.

Nah - Just because you’re miserable doesn’t mean you get to speak for everyone. Plenty of people are in the game having a great time.

I think they’re trying to create some product differential with retail. I can kind of get that, but this was a strange place to draw the line. LFR I could see, but RDF?

They simply don’t know their audience well enough to understand that there’s another group besides people who like Vanilla and people who like retail. For a lot of players, their “golden age” was Wrath, Cata, and MoP. Blizzard has decided they’re fine with making significant changes to those games to appease the Vanilla crowd.

No one said it caused Wrath to lose subs.

It didn’t help maintain them or grow though, and that’s what people keep claiming.

The graph people keep showing shows growth from Q4 2010, but then jumps to Q4 2011 right before Cata is about to launch. That period is when people typically come back before a new expansion.

After Cata launched, the subs took a nose dive. They jump up again right before MoP and then dive down again.

People are reading the graph completely wrong because they aren’t watching when the data is posted.

Then there’s no reason to not have RDF if you don’t care what I do, or many others do. Just like how we don’t care what you do.