Rating system is toxic and should be removed or reworked

I am basically forced to heal or tank on any character that doesn’t have a high rating. Because people only want to get carried so they’ll only take dps with super high ratings.
However, these people fail to understand that rating is absolutely meaningless. All it does is give people an ego. I have seen countless people with 2500+ ratings that don’t even know the basics of boss fights and do terrible damage or cant heal/don’t know routes.

It’s odds. a 2500 player is more likely to be better than someone with 0 rating.

6 Likes

Personally i dont think rating should exist outside of pvp for the sole reason of this is an mmo not a competitive fps it shouldnt have systems like this.

1 Like

Alas, since Blizzard itself singlehandedly created the e-sports aspects of the PvE game, they clearly disagree.

Before ratings, we had the Gear Score add-on, and before that you were searched on the armory. People have always checked the players they invite, and always wanted players that could help carry rather than be carried

An I.O score is a heck of a lot easier than an armory search. It used to take a while, back in the day…

8 Likes

people like receiving an ego.

Not sure if this works for PvP where ratings come in, but for me (doing m+) I would start the group myself.

To be fair, I also casually m+ and the highest I think I’ve ever gotten (and this was back in SL) was a single 10. But for lower level keys, I find making my own group helps a lot.

1 Like

i agree, they should definitely just take your word for it that you’re a great player. after all, you wouldn’t be mistaken about your abilities, or misrepresent them in any way!

7 Likes

Back in the day your ilvl was your rating.

Man those were the days i wasnt any good at the game back then though.

1 Like

oh definitely, i remember! of course it wasn’t perfect either, but it at least gave some idea of what kind of content you’d been dragged through. now that gear is so easy to get, it’s no longer reliable. enter RIO score. but of course that is now easy to get, so it’s also no longer reliable. we’ll have to add a third score! :slight_smile:

Thats why they only have a 2,5k io

Nah if someone has KSH they should know what their doing by now

1 Like

Not always. There are some people that speak English for their entire lives and haven’t a clue the difference between “their”, “there” or “they’re”. Surely you can empathize!

9 Likes

robertdeniroyou.gif

2 Likes

Only if you expect to get carried by higher rated dps!

Like everyone else, you have a key of your own that you can make a group for. You may not get your dream candidates, and it may not be as fast as it is with a healer or tank, but you’ll get applicants.

You can build a social network of people (befriend tanks and healers), join one of the community Discords (in NA, there’s WoW Made Easy, in Europe we have No Pressure and Chill Streak), or look for a guild that runs M+. Brute-force PUGing everything is the worst way to do content in WoW (and every other multiplayer game).

That is because rating alone doesn’t tell you everything about a person. You’ll want to look at the number of timed keys. Even when picking people for 20s and up, I’ll check how many lower keys they have timed. If someone doesn’t have many timed 11-18 runs, I don’t want them in my 20s, either, because it tells me they probably didn’t gradually build experience and there’s a chance they got carried by friends or paid for boosts.

4 Likes

I’ve found that getting a decent rating as early as possible in the season helps a lot. Raider io will link that on your other alts. Now I know this does not solve a late season alts problems but still will be a factor in your favor. I agree with you that rating does not convey a perfectly accurate picture of a persons ability but I think that most people making groups are simply using the fastest way to ensure the best outcome for their key on average.

If a better more complex system that more accurately portrays a characters likeliness to be a positive influence on a given key was available I would not say no but doesn’t exist right now.

1 Like

It has nothing to do with rating, it’s more about your role and what you can bring to the group. Healers and tanks get invited fast because not many people play them, dps have long wait times because there’s a lot of dps players. Ratings are simply an easy way for players to identify if another player has put in the work.

My biggest piece of advice would be to just make your own groups as a dps player, it’s faster most of the time and you can be the picky one. When you see how many dps players que up you will understand why you’re not getting picked, you’re just 1 out of many and even if you all had the same ilvl and mythic+ score it would still be unlikely to be the 3 dps who get picked.

M+ rating is the best indicator even though it is indeed flawed. People who can’t enchant/gem their gear / don’t understand strats / under-perform will have lower scores. The only way to gain score is to buy a carry (which it will be obvious someone did if they’re 2800 dying in a 20 to the most obvious mechanics) or to spam keys and get better naturally through repetition. Without this system we’d just see people revert back to ilvl and then lower end players will never reach 20s unless they start groups themselves. Just the name of the game sadly.

worth-as-a-human score!

1 Like

woohoo for failing upwards! I’ve seen a lot of those people the last few weeks, playing at the end of a season really is something special.