Ranged Survival seemingly a no go in 9.0

this post is a translation of a german interview with Ion, where he says that sweeping reworks like when Survival went from ranged to melee won’t be happening, although they do want to look at some specs like Subtlety.

RIP

7 Likes

True, though I’m still keeping my hopes up for that 4th spec option.

I can see why they don’t want to overhaul current SV yet again.

Though that’s still not an excuse to ignore all the feedback from the last couple of expansions.

In short, they(devs) screwed us over, us who liked that former ranged SV.
It’s up to the devs to make it right again.
And by that, I don’t mean revert melee SV. I mean give us an additional spec option so this problem would actually go away.
Because, until they do, it won’t.

18 Likes

How is Survival not a spec to be re-examined, but Subtlety is…? That makes no sense to me.

Just give us a talent that switches Raptor Strike to Black Arrow and the Bombs to Explosive shot and GG.

At least in the SLIGHTEST, add talents that make MM feel more like old Survival. I really don’t think a MASSIVE overhaul is necessary to fix this issue.

8 Likes

Well, I mean it is the only spec in the game more under represented in PvE than Survival.

1 Like

I don’t want ranged survival back just to upset Bepples. I used to love ranged survival before that dude came on the forums weeping.

13 Likes

How considerate of you, for the rest of us…

9 Likes

You wouldn’t have loved ranged SV after he came to weep about it because by the time he did ranged SV was already gone.

1 Like

I really wish they would have just one talent at level 15 for MM that would replace Aimed Shot and Rapid Fire with Black Arrow and Explosive Shot.

In fact, I think they could take it a step farther. Level 15 talents should be
Talent One: Marked Shot and Sidewinders, adds marking targets.
Talent Two: Black Arrow and Explosive Shot, changed Arcane to Cobra Shot and Mastery to increase magical shots.
Talent Three: Glaive toss and Piercing Shot

4 Likes

I do not know, I enjoy playing survival in PvE. It is a fun Spec. BUT I argued on my Hunter in forums ranting on how they ruined my toon, and they gave us some things on Marks to give it that feel. It stunk.

I feel everyone can agree that they play a Hunter as a ranged class first, and old Hunter spec had melee that people rarely used.

Now I have said it on dozens of posts, SV is the medium range with pet DoT spec. The flavor that was originally with traps and stuff that hardly comes into play, or is of any real use. BM should have been the Melee Spec or close range.

Melee SV should have been the Demon Hunter 3rd spec in my opinion. Not that they would do it, but they could reword and redesign all those things for SV and make it a DH thing. Give Hunters back SV more closely to what it was and never ever make a range class go melee!

Next thing you will know, Mages will have Frozen Boxing Gloves as Frost to close combat… Not A Good Idea!

2 Likes

Yeah it’s fantastic! I play Hunter to melee first now! Has always been my favorite playstyle, melee with a pet.

Glad to see they are sticking by it. Hunters finally have some spec diversity.
Removing RSV was the best thing to happen for the class.

Kill shot is coming back!

9 Likes

To your preference, perhaps it was.

To many other Hunters, it wasn’t.

Yeah, it certainly fits that melee playstyle.

18 Likes

That is some quantum chess there. Well played…or something.

Well I would assume they make it like execute for MSV.

Cheers.

Well, hey: it’s simple cause and effect.

Cause: Legion makes Survival spec a full melee spec.
Effect: Bepples spent years petitioning Blizzard to roll it all back.

3 Likes

Speaking of cause and effect. His weeping makes me not want it back. Ever.

6 Likes

I never did say that effects can’t be causes for other effects…but silence would just give more consent and approval to Blizzard’s designs.

4 Likes

So…you actually loved ranged SV. But you’re speaking against the return of it because you don’t like one particular player who speaks in favor of it’s return?

:thinking:

15 Likes

Old Survival saved my heinie back in WoD, my first expansion as a max-level Hunter. Not just the spec-specific stuff but the whole kit and kaboodle that is ALL gone until now.

7 Likes

Honestly I think it would be entirely fine as long as they fix MM because you could have legitimately combined the old versions of MM and SV into one spec and just have a talent choice swap them

Like taking MoP SV vs MoP MM you trade Chimera for Explosive Shot, Aimed Shot for Black Arrow, Silencing Shot gets replaced for Entrapment, Master Marksman gets replaced with LNL, Steady Shot for Cobra Shot etc.

You could honestly just have a talent that swaps those abilities lmao and it would be totally fine if they really wanted to do that, although I still feel like that would be weird in general balance wise - just that was kind of what they described they wanted to do going into Legion with MM… but didnt follow through. If that was their intention like I said it could easily be a talent that fixes this

7 Likes

Sorry, this post became a little bigger than expected :confused: No idea how that happened…

It certainly could be done. My question regarding the thought of adding RSV into MM is more about if it should be done that way.

You’re essentially talking about making 1 talent provide for more than 5 different ability-/and passive effect-swaps.

More if you factor in popular past features for RSV such as Serpent Spread. And, you’d have to look at the Mastery Bonus effect as well. Should there only be one for the spec as a whole or should that talent you mentioned swap that out as well for one that fit RSV better?

You would also have the issue you mentioned with balancing. And about the fact that it would all be dependent on that particular talent being neither too superior or too inferior to the other talents on that talent row.

And, you also have to factor in all the other talents available through MM. You would have to essentially do double-designs for several of them to add in more, non-core-yet-still-flavorful-effects that caters to the RSV talent and not only the base of MM.
You could skip this part ofc, but that would essentially leave us with one fully developed base spec in the form of MM and one half-developed talent-based version of RSV.

Granted ofc that we all have varying opinions on what could be considered “fine” in terms of spec design. Some players might not care much for the little things that made(or even could make today) RSV what it was.
I can only speak for myself on this matter.

Now, I’m no game dev so I couldn’t say with certainty exactly what major obstacles there would be in the case of designing a 4th spec option for the class. Nor can I say that I know exactly how long it would take.

But considering how the devs(whoever) decided to remove that spec from us who loved it, with no regards to what we as players wanted. I would say that it’s more than justified to advocate for it’s implementation. Even in the form of a fully developed 4th spec option.

4 Likes