Random Pepe sounds from using Soulshape

Discussion about this in GD here:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/the-case-of-the-hidden-bird-chirp/831756/28

For a little over a week people have been hearing single Pepe chirps in weird places without wearing pepe.

This is the sound for the Korayn soul bind ability “Horn of the Wild Hunt.” When using soul shape in rested areas it plays a horn sound and a pepe sound for everyone affected.

Leaving this as a bug because I think the pepe sound is not intended, makes no sense for the situation, and it doesn’t show as a buff for the person granting it.

Given the extreme confusion about this it probably has some design issues.

1 Like

I hear it even when not in soul shape. I hear it in Ardenweald, in Bastion, in Oribos, in the Maw, it’s everywhere. There seems to be no pattern or cause for it whatsoever.
What is it, Blizzard?

3 Likes

I think the issue is people are hearing other peoples transition into soul shape and regardless of forum it plays the Pepe sound.

At the very least when properly used it needs a different sound. Took a fall death looking for the hidden pepe I kept hearing.

1 Like

I’m usually getting this right after I zone into somewhere like the portal pad in Oribos. And contrary to the theories above I’m not seeing any soul shaped toons.

I think I only get this when I have my moth soul shape selected.

Not using it, just when it’s the one I have selected and then i hear noises when other people use their soul shape near me but it sounds like I’m making the noise.

And I think the moth shape was a reward for finishing the campaign so it would make sense this is when everyone started hearing it.

Edit: Nope, still hear it without the moth selected but I suspect the moth is still involved.

I just came over here to say that every time I hear it, someone activates their moth soul shape. It seems to have something to do with that, but it’s not a moth sound!

I keep hearing Pepe bird sound, but only in PvP. I haven’t been able to trace what is causing it, but it’s annoying as all heck.

It was mentioned in another thread on this topic that it might be related to Korayn’s soulbind talent which gives everyone a 10% ms buff whenever you soulshape. Apparently this is meant to give you a little blue ball and a personalised chirp sound effect. I can’t test this right now but it would account for the randomness of the chirping, considering Korayn is bis for a lot of people. it also directly precedes a DPS/HPS conduit, so everyone would be taking it.

1 Like

The other day, when I blinked it made an odd sound. I wonder if the sound resource indices have an error.

This is indeed what it is.

Edited OP to reflect this.

Both the random pepe chirp and horn sounds happen randomly as of Jan 21 and has been going on for weeks now. Doesn’t matter if in a crowded area or can literally be in an area all alone, it still seems to happen randomly. Even occurs within the Castle Nathria raid and M+ Dungeon Instances.

No buffs, no Pepe or anything on me or others, etc.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/random-pepe-sounds-from-using-soulshape/832950/10

I currently have Niya’s soulbind active and my inactive Korayn soulbind does not have the talent path with Horn of the Wild isn’t selected. Yet, I’m still hearing Pepe. Am I hearing others who have that talent selected?

Been hearing this even more in the last few days now. No one has Pepe on, and it’s a loud bird chirp as if the bird is right beside my character. It can happen when I’m completely alone in a zone, or near other people–and the volume is just as loud.

I would appreciate if the sound file could just be removed until a solution is found, it really is driving me crazy.

1 Like

yeah i kept thinking that maybe there was a Pepe hiding out in Heart of the Forest somewhere, was hoping for a new Pepe costume >.< ah well.

I get random Pepe sounds while doing BGs, and not even Night Fae covenant.

I took a fall death from the queens loft while looking for the phantom Pepe.

If nothing else it’s a sound design issue in using a sound that has an established meaning.

make the noises stop please…