Random Dungeon Finder - More Social Than You Think

As a tank, I was very much looking forward to logging in, grabbing 3-4 guildies and using RDF to get an instant queue to a dungeon. I get the bonus reward for queuing as a tank (badges, gold, etc) and my guildies get a free instant queue. It’s exceptionally beneficial for everyone with guildies or friends that play together, particularly the DPS that usually sit around for hours or don’t do dungeons at all. Best part is when Timmy needs to go to bed at 9 PM, the 4 of you can queue up again and fill with a random instantly.

My best memories from original Wrath were actually doing exactly this with my guildies. I joined a progression guild at the start of ICC and no one knew me. Over the course of a weekend I had met and tanked for every person in that raid group using RDF and when I stepped into ICC for the first time with them on a Tuesday, everyone knew who I was and what my skillset was, etc.

Just because “RDF” has the word “random” in it, the only thing that’s actually random if you use it the right way is the dungeon that gets selected. But it can also be used as a tool for getting that last body you need to fill a dungeon group and even a tool for running around the world doing quests while waiting to be popped into one of those groups. It helps both spectrums of players! Those with friends and those without!

That’s what people coming from Retail hating the current Dungeon Finder need to realize. RDF in Wrath with a guild or a bunch of friends was literally the best experience ever. I still remember logging into my paladin tank in Dal and getting a whisper from non-guildie friends begging me to queue with their DPS mains for the instant queues. I can’t tell you how many friends I made that way since my non-guildie friends were usually grouped with 2-3 other players from our server waiting on a tank like me to login or join the queue!

My experience with LFG chat in TBC after Phase 2 has been extremely underwhelming and if it continues to be filled with boosters rather than players, I can’t see myself leveling all that many alts this time around. In original Wrath, I had 8 level 80s with full Heirloom gear after starting the expansion with only one character. I did A LOT of RDF. Bare in mind RDF wasn’t released until the start of ICC, so I did all of that in a year while also raiding at the highest level of available content for the time.

I should also mention that since RDF could be used during leveling, I used that opportunity to post the message “Hey everyone, this is my first time playing (so and so class), so if you have pointers, I’d love to hear about it.” Everyone in RDF was also leveling alts at the time, so people that mained those classes would just spew useful tips for playing the class/role I was playing in party/whisper. I think at least one time an RDF group just sat at the start of the instance (SFK) and posted helpful tips for everyone else. The tank would chime in “I’ve never pally tanked before”, well, there was my go-to thing. I had a macro for new pally tanks setup that I would post for the new pally tanks or a general tanking macro for the warriors/dks/druids.

The community in RDF was surprisingly helpful if you simply started a conversation. And new players see these interactions and would pick up the helpful tips that might be relevant to their class as well. It’s a win for everyone! Also it’s always a good thing to see engagement at low levels in dungeons among other players otherwise everyone expects everyone else to already play like professionals and when they don’t, they get sour. Wrath was the period for new players and is widely considered one of the most successful periods of socialization in the game’s history. Dare I say a lot of this can be attributed to the success of RDF.

To be honest when the Lead Classic Dev said there would be no RDF at all, I got up and walked away from the computer because I was in absolute shock to hear them say that. I would love to see it at launch, but I would understand 100% if it was delayed until a later phase since that would match the original timeline. I don’t know who the majority of the people they are talking to about this issue, but clearly those people didn’t play Wrath back then or are ignorant to the social benefits of its inclusion. I hope my post widens the viewpoints of those adamantly against RDF. I was against RDF for Classic and TBC as I wanted the experience to be as accurate to the original as possible, but Wrath was where it was introduced and at this stage of the game, the barrier to entry for new players wanting to experience Wrath is so high that the game is more likely to die than it is to thrive.

We suffered through the World Buff Meta thanks to #nochanges and I’ll be damned if we suffer Wrath without any RDF because of those same people are now spewing the opposite propaganda when it doesn’t suit them, or so they think. If you give Wrath RDF a chance, I promise you, you’ll regret not being pro-RDF the same way we all regret dealing with World Buffs all of Classic and not being able to play our main characters for most of the week.

34 Likes

I concour.

1 Like

Good post, I used to do the same with my brother and best friend back in the day. we’d 3 man queue and just pick up pugs on the way, bro tanked I healed everyone else dpsd.

3 Likes

Yes! Exactly this! People seem to forget that we could premade groups for RDF back when we had guilds and friends that played the game like we do now in Classic.

5 Likes

This is pretty similar to my mostly positive experience with rdf.
I especially remember the extra incentives to tank or heal when needed. For me, that’s enough enticement for just one more dungeon. Sometimes I got to know people in my guild better, sometimes it was a random that I’d never met before. As I was in a VERY large guild at the time, it allowed for a bit more social interaction than was possible during raids and such.

6 Likes

I think retail is more social than TBCC to be honest.
I think retail, in fact, has better communities, as on retail we form communities based on our gameplay & interest and not purely based off our server name.

Not to mention, retail has a lot more pug raids/dungeons happening.

I logged into TBCC last night, ran 2 heroics (grouping and travelling prob took longer than than actual dungeons clear). And in the meantime, I kept an eye out on LFG addon. Not a single pug raid was actually listed that wasn’t a GDKP.

I’m on pagle. 5th biggest realm /w sub 9k Alliance.
https://www.warcrafttavern.com/population/bcc/

RDF makes gameplay more social 100%.
Especially during leveling.

Doing random keys on reail is how I met my current guild I’ve been with since the start of Shadowlands.
Doing keys is how I met my guild on horde on retail.

3 Likes

Well, I’m not sure I’d say Retail is more Social by itself. Discord and other forums of communication certainly contribute heavily to this. Additionally, each of the Classic Realms has their own Discord for the server community outside of the game. To say Retail is more social than TBCC in that respect would be inaccurate.

That said, you are 100% correct when you say that GDKPs and boosting have made using the LFG channel harder. I have started filtering out anything with the words “GDKP” and “WTS” in them using the LFG Bulletin Board. If those sorts of things are uninteresting to you, I’d recommend doing the same!

1 Like

You have to understand the anti-lfd audience before you can craft an effective argument to persuade them. Sadly, anti-lfd group doesn’t actually care whether or not it’s possible to have a social experience in LFD. That’s just the rhetoric they use to make their position seem credible. I’ll explain to you some key facts about the anti-lfd group now. This doesn’t apply to all of them, but it’s generally true for most of them.

1. They don’t run pugs to begin with.
  2. They only play with a small group of friends.
  3. They likely have at least one tank buddy. If not two.
  4. They’re probably on a mega server.
  5. They’re probably in one of the more powerful guilds on the mega server.
  6. They have an extraordinary amount of free time and flexibility to play the game as they please and aren’t limited by small time frames.
  7. They believe that everything good about WoW ended after wotlk. This is a belief, it’s not a matter of fact. It’ simply comes down to how they feel.

It’s a very tough road to unravel the anit-lfd perceptions surrounding LFD when you consider who you’re dealing with.

9 Likes

The best part is that the vast majority of the things you listed get enhanced by additional lockouts, gold, loot, and convenience of not having to leave where ever you are in Azeroth by simply using the RDF to queue with their premade group. It’s astonishing to me that they would hate on a feature that they never got to experience when the community itself was alive and thriving during Wrath. The game died when Cataclysm released and everyone quit for one of three reasons: (1) The Lich King was the final boss to them due to WCIII, (2) Cataclysm just didn’t have that same vibe that Wrath did, content wise, (3) their guild fell apart as a result of enough players thinking the same thing as the players that dipped from (1) and (2) and we didn’t have anyone to play with anymore.

Raid Finder being added during Cataclysm was the final nail in the coffin for guilds that were just barely hanging on after that. Sadly Dungeon Finder takes the flak for being the feature they added the expansion before that looked and behaved similarly, but it didn’t kill guilds. Raid Finder did.

6 Likes

I remember tanking in RDF and getting invited to a raiding guild on another server. I switched to that server and was the off-tank for the majority of Cataclysm. Those were good times, and without RDF, I wouldn’t have had them.

2 Likes

RDF was fun. I made some long term friends from there. Occasionally you would find a group and just keep que’ing back up because you worked so well together. But now, it really comes down to time for me now. I want play and run dungeons. But I play when it’s convenient for me to do so, I don’t want to spam channels for groups and have travel to the dungeon. That process will take longer than clearing the instance most times. Having RDF doesn’t force anyone to use it and would not affect those that run with their guilds or chosen group of friends. It is better to have the option. More ways to play is always better,

I agree 100%!

3 Likes

Also the dungeon difficulty spike. I actually played with more people after launch, Rated BGs were all the buzz, but I could definitely see population on my server declining over time.

Blizzard doubled down on wanting those super tough heroics, so people just left. Then they finally nerfed them and I believe buffed the gear heroics drop.

I was one of the few people that didn’t mind the harder Heroics. Believe it or not, I found a good group of folks that wanted to do the meta achievement together. Despite being from different servers and stuff, we knocked them all out and each of us had the drake at the end. Wiped the mechanic? Ah well, we’ll just requeue and do it again after RDF selects the instance again.

Is how we did it… homie was tank… another guildy was healer we would que… sometimes with a 4th a most times just us 3… and blew though the crap, other time was myself healer and mage… aka my 3s team… we que up run some crap when needed a little break.

1 Like

I have seen the opposite, the anti RDF people have all be bad players tbh…

They hide on alts get called out then log on their Green/blue parsing main…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.