Random disconnects from Blizzard server

And its not just WoW retail or Classic, its ALL Blizz games I play. I’ve run ping, tracert, and MTR tests. I have no issues getting CONNECTED to the games, its STAYING connected that is my problem. There is no pattern to the disconnects, it doesn’t matter what game I’m playing, or the time of day or what day. I can ipconfig /release, /renew, /flushdns, do hard restarts of my modem, router, and PC and it fixes the problem…temporarily.

The problem does not exist with my equipment - they’re all fairly new and I can switch between having ethernet directly from my modem or have the router linked in and the problem still crops up.

I do not have connection issues with anything else. I can run streaming services through ethernet or wifi and have no problems. I can have Pandora or Spotify playing while I experience a DC and have no interruption in my music. I can play other online games and have no disconnections.

I’ve wasted the past 3 hours going back and forth with my ISP for them to say the problem doesn’t exist for them, since they aren’t able to replicate the issue and they can’t find anything wrong with my equipment. I’ve deleted files, reinstalled files, adjusted settings, and nothing works. I’ve obviously gone to my ISP, and they can’t help. I’ve gone to Blizz in the past, posted test results, and got suggestions for fixes that were no help.

Frankly, I’m getting really tired of being told “Not our problem, maybe its your ISP/on your end…” And from what I’ve seen posted on the forum, a lot of other players are experiencing similar problems, and being told “Its your ISP”. How is it that multiple ISPs have the same problem??

2 Likes

I am having the same issue. We have multiple accounts in our house and we dont DC at the same time its all so random. and only blizzaed games. So frustrated. First it started out as only when afk for a min or so then when just around town or open world now in DGs but not in combat. Now its happening all the time and seems to be getting worse. But your right all we will get is “check with ISP”

2 Likes

Same issue, my servers are going down and get disconnected from the games. And as you say is not only WoW

1 Like

Hi Folks

We should take a look at WinMTR tests - see if anything shows up there.

The instructions are on this Blizzard Support page:

Once you have the tool open enter the IP number for the server group you play on in the WinMTR box then hit start.

137.221.105.2 (West Coast)
24.105.62.129 (Central - Chicago)

(only the number - include periods)

Leave it run for 10 minutes or so - or until one of these disconnects occur. Then use the button that copies Text to your clipboard. Paste that on your thread here.

*You may need to alter or remove any URL addresses to paste on forum. You could also place the test results in a code block:

Open chat box - paste test then right click - “select all”. Should highlight everything. Then press the preformatted text button along top of chat box. Looks like this </>.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

Host - % Sent Recv Best Avrg Wrst Last
www.routerlogin. com - 0 2931 2931 0 0 6 1
XX.XX.XXX.X - 0 2929 2929 5 8 55 8
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - 1 2910 2905 6 9 62 7
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - 0 2928 2928 15 19 130 15
dalsbprj01-ae1.0.rd.dl.cox. net - 4 2591 2504 20 25 165 23
68.105.30.10 - 0 2928 2928 22 29 251 24
ae1-br01-eqda6.as57976. net - 0 2928 2928 33 40 151 62
et-0-0-4-br01-eqch2.as57976. net - 0 2928 2928 35 43 469 39
et-0-0-0-pe04-eqch2.as57976. net - 0 2929 2929 33 38 150 36
chi-eqch2-ia-bons-04.as57976. net - 0 2927 2927 34 37 113 36
24.105.62.129 - 0 2928 2928 36 39 106 40
________________________________________________ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

The problem always pops up at the 5th hop (…cox.net), which is why I’m constantly being told the issue is with my ISP, but, as I originally stated, they claimed to find no problems. In the past, when the disconnects were frequent, the loss would be higher, at times around 15%. The other hops see nothing higher than 1% when there is loss on them.

Oddly enough, I’ve had no connection issues the past few days. :roll_eyes:

The WinMTR doesn’t look too bad in all honesty, aside from a bit of a latency spike starting on the 4th hop. Though a bit of latency shouldn’t cause the disconnects usually. The packet loss on the 5th hop in the Cox network is not actually an issue, because we can see the loss goes back down to 0% on the hops after. If it were an issue then the packet loss would continue down to the server.

Glad to hear that you’ve been disconnect free for a few days Versipellis. Generally when you go from having a good stable connection, to disconnecting regularly for a few days, and then back to stable without changing anything on your end it means there was a temporary problem between your ISP and the game servers. It isn’t unheard of for this kind of thing to randomly start happening and then go away on its own once the route to the server clears up.

If it starts happening again something that you could try would be to connect through a VPN or an alternate network (if you have a mobile hotspot for example). Using a VPN would change the route you connect through to get to the server, so it can help work around problems like this if the ISP isn’t able to clear it up immediately. We (Blizzard) also of course have our own team of network engineers that are awesome at what they do, so if there’s a major issue impacting the Blizzard network causing disconnects for everyone they are immediately on top of it.

Hopefully this helps and thanks for the WinMTR! Best of luck out there.

1 Like

Had this happen a couple of times yesterday. Now disconnecting continually after a minute or so and not being able to interact with anything in game.

Finally! A straight answer that isn’t shrugging the issue off! I’ll give the VPN a try the next time I have DC issues and see what happens. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know if this is any help for troubleshooting, but it seems to happen more often when I tab back in (to the guild screen) after doing something on my second monitor for awhile. The game will freeze for awhile, even if a D/C doesn’t happen.

I believe there is a known but unresolved issue with the guild and communities screen, especially with large guilds or communities.

There indeed is a known issue with the guild screen and disconnections. Here’s the thread where we’re gathering reports and providing updates :slight_smile: