Raiding and whats wrong with it

Then why arent there more individual character kills for the first normal bosses of a given patch?

Raiding is neat, but it’s not what most people are here for and it never has been.

The biggest problem raiding has is that 20 man mythic is lame and feels beyond outdated. We need flex or 10 man. It’s 2022, for god’s sake.

1 Like

Where are you looking?

Back when API datamining was a thing, we knew that about 40% of the playerbase was regularly getting Ahead of the Curve for clearing Heroic.

Meanwhile, about 60% of the playerbase was completing the raid on any mode. Which means that the Normal + LFR combined population was about 20%. In other words, half the population of people who do Heroic.

Back in WoD? Perhaps raiding was quite popular before then, sure. I don’t remember it ever being THAT popular and I can’t find anything to confirm or deny that, but we also know that LFR was introduced in Cata because of how unpopular raiding was to begin with.

As for my personal info, it comes from various places.

WoW Realm Stats and MMO-Population can give you an idea of active characters.

RaiderIO is another good source but it only tracks guilds for these things the same way WoWprogress does I believe.

I mean, take these numbers with a bit of salt. They’re likely not 100% accurate due to the limitations of wow’s API access currently. But they all seem to agree that raid participation is pretty low.

Out of roughly 32,791 guilds active in this last patch according to https://wowanalytica.com/statistics only 7,940 have AOTC (24.2%), 13,270 have killed the first boss on Heroic (40.4%), and only 14,383 have killed the first boss on normal (43.8%).

That’s guilds alone. That’s not free-roaming characters. I’d be willing to bet a significant amount of money that those that are guildless are far less likely to step into a raid at all than those that are guilded.

According to WoWpopulation there were an average of 1,142,942 active players this past month, so one could reason that it was likely much higher at the top of the patch.

Normal and Heroic raid groups can range from 10-30 people, right? Take an average of 20 players and normal+ raiders only account for about a quarter of the current active population, which again is likely far less than we’d see at the top of a patch.

And that’s assuming guilds are full of raiders, which they likely aren’t. It’s more than likely a single group of 20+ players in a guild full of a hundred or more. But I can’t even fathom how to ballpark that.

I will admit my initial statement was wrong, because there’s really no way to track individual character kills specifically. Not unless someone has a more reliable data set of everyone’s individual achievements. I’m not even sure why I wrote it that way, but it was misleading and I apologize.

Nobody in the FFXIV community complains about raid rewards because the % of the community that raids savage is so small it’s statistically non existent. If you think the % of the WoW playerbase that raids mythic is small, the % of the FFXIV playerbase that raids savage would blow your mind. Also the rewards literally only matter for the people doing the raids. There is no world pvp. Instanced pvp is such a god awful dumpster fire that even the devs don’t care if it’s even remotely balanced. No one outside of that minute fraction of people cares about the gear because they have no use for it. FFXIVs endgame is literally 99% rping lavish mansion parties, rping night clubs, rping brothels, and glams. Raid drops are completely useless for any of this.

No one complains about raid rewards in Lost Ark because the playerbase is like 75% bots, lol.

All that being said, while I’m indifferent to Asmonbald’s existence, I wouldn’t listen to anything he has to say about WoW raiding. He doesn’t raid. He runs big dumpster fire pugs with his lapdog McConnel and streams the ensuing rage and hilarity. He has almost no actual knowledge of what the inside of a Mythic raid looks like and what goes into real progression.

You’re kinda right in a big reason is “community” being hostile impatient and well let’s just say it people are VERY touchy if the new raider(s) in their group slow them down even a little from progressing.

It’s just fact and to some extent I understand. I mean if I was on a great raid team and our routine was blowing down boss after boss like a hurricane to a forest, then BAM! New people replace folks in your raid for whatever reason and new people struggle with keeping up even to the lowest dps on your raid team or the lowest performing healer or tank etc.

Yes I get the point that the members of the original raid team would be thinking “oh man you kidding me with this?”

It’s a tough call of balance and not just cut and dry.

My view on if the raid group is at fault for being jerks or not kind of goes like

If you join a raid group do you have minimal gear requirements for the content level (mythic raiding or normal for instance)…if no then not raid groups fault.

If you have ZERO experience, I mean if you want to do big boy raids you probably should at least got your chops down in normal raids for a bit, and likely very high key m+’s. I don’t blame little tolerance for raid guilds not taking players who have zero experience.

So the disagreement part is this isn’t a blizzard fix issue so much as it’s a player issue.

By the same token if a play DOES meet minimum gear requirements for the raid level and has proved them selves on m+ or normal raids and generally appears to try in a raid but that raid group had little to no patience for mistakes or teaching the new person what is wrong…yep then that raid group are being jerks and it’s their fault.

It’s that simple to me.

Another factor for FFXIV is how small the raids are, which is a big win alone for casual players. Its far more likely to see a player with limited time jump into a small raid than it is to expect them to participate in a 13 boss trash gauntlet.

As for gear. Item level might not be a thing in FFXIV but cosmetics certainly are. They put far more effort into their cosmetic collections.

The dude is carried to everything he does. He has no weight to anything he says as he does it for shock value. Guys a tool.

This :clap:

Dedicating 3-4 hours, multiple nights a week on a set schedule is unrealistic.

2 Likes

No it’s not lol.

Sure maybe, it wasn’t when I was a teenager or in my early 20s.

But this is an old game, full of players who have aged with it.

It is completely unrealistic for people who have played since the beginning and grown to have a normal, healthy, adult life.

I know. I am one of them.

It’s very easy to have an adult life and raid. You probably won’t be raiding at a world first level but most people don’t raid at that level anyways.

How to do you honestly dedicate 3-4 hours, multiple nights a week, at set times?

Do you have a family, friends, other obligations?

This isn’t a dig at you. I just find it impossible to find a guild to add me to a raid roster when I can’t explicitly dedicate my nights on a schedule.

No, in BfA at the end of Eternal Palace.

Very easily.

I work 65 hours a week, I’m married with a 3 year old.

I mostly play when they are asleep. My wife and I have days we each take for ourselves for us time.

If it’s something you want to do it’s pretty easy.

I’ve been trying, but the guilds I get in are either mostly inactive or not interested in taking someone that has a changing schedule.

Mmhmm.

It takes a ten second google search to find people complaining about raiding in FF14 (especially Savage), the rewards, and the design of raiding. I do not understand why people are so delusional about FF14 and how everyone loves all the systems with no problems or complaints.

It’s also incredibly hard to enter a raiding FC.

At what level? This is not the case for any AOTC guild or any guild that does normal, and many more casual mythic guilds absolutely do not have this standard.

Okay, but what does that system actually look like?

I’ve literally seen helpers in the sprout chat complaining about new players and noobs.

Only 14,847 guilds got AOTC. So that’s roughly twice as many as Sepulcher. 11,660 guilds got AOTC in 9.1.

IDK what percentage of the population at the time those are because that data doesn’t seem to be held anywhere I can find, but your claim is correct if 1) The majority of those guild’s members raided and 2) population was far lower than it is currently.

Sauce
https://raider.io/the-eternal-palace/boss-rankings/queen-azshara/world/heroic/742#content

I suppose raiding can be seen as popular if the game’s population is incredibly small now, or the overwhelming majority of guildless players are pugging or something. Otherwise participation seems to be very small.

Consider that there are millions of players in WoW, at least I hope. That a large population of players are likely unguilded, and that of those that are in a guild, the majority of that guild does not likely raid unless it is a very small guild.

Conclusion: Raiding has never been as popular as you claim, but I’d be willing to see some counter data.

While I disagree with your conclusion that the raid community is toxic, if it is a player problem, then it should not be blizzards job to fix it.

You can look for player achievements on Data for Azeroth, which scans WoW Armory to find its data.

Generally speaking, about 25% of player profiles get AOTC. That was the case for CN. 19% for Sanctum. 19% (so far) for SoD.

In BfA, 35% of player profiles got AOTC for N’zoth; 15% for palace; and 15% for Jaina.

Achievements fluctuate, usually anywhere from 15-35%, for individual player profiles.

That is a substantial number of players, and it doesn’t include those who raided but failed to achieve AOTC, those who raid on lower difficulties, and those who casually dabble but don’t clear.