Raid Rewards Experiments in Season 4

With this logic why have gear at all? It’s going to get replaced every 2 years.

They’ve proven time and again that, if they are going to stick to a plan, the PTR doesn’t really matter. The whole 3 coin limit is probably final, because screw feedback. lol And the required number of boss kills is excessive, but I doubt they care about that either.

1 Like

Yeah, so you grind to get garbage gear and then you have to grind to upgrade it. Grind Grind Grind. But if you find that super exciting then good for you.

I have mixed feelings… but it is an improvement.

As far as the :

Seems a bit silly and gimmicky. It feels like some people might miss out if they somehow drop the quest, or aren’t aware of the details. Overly complicated and gimmicky. But still, an improvement. At least you can upgrade them.

Which leads me to :

Now this seems super awesome and long overdue.

Boy, have I been there where a group struggles for weeks at a certain boss and can’t get over the hump. And we start debating about extending lock outs, when some folks still need gear. Getting stuff to upgrade items might not change the plans of the most competitive folks, but it is a boon to the middle and lower end.

And it drops 100%, without a quest. Simple. And great.

The Puzzling Cartel Dinar raises a lot of concerns for me.

• Huge burden of knowledge requirement for the user
  • Only solves for very small amount of content relative to totals (15/16 inventory slots, - legendary/tier reservations). What about for people that engage in multiple types of content where I want some raid drops for M+, some raid drops for PvP, some raid drops for raid progression?
  • The feeling users will have when looting a piece they JUST spent a Dinar on is going to feel so unbelievably bad. At least bad vault RNG offers copium for the following week, this is a one-and-done.

The Dinar NEEDS some kind of mitigation on it in terms of that feeling. A way to refund it, a way to “feed” your Dinar item an upgraded version if that’s what happened, something. Right now this feels very set-up as a “See, we tried to give you deterministic loot and you guys didn’t like it, that’s why we’re staying with multi-layered RNG!”

4 Likes

The fact that it’s from raids we’ve already been doing, not from new content. Doing NEW content is a lot of the joy people experience from raiding.

They’ve already acknowledged the malaise that sets in about existing content with the announcement about shaking up the M+ dungeons in Dragonflight, after all.

1 Like

Gear isn’t bad. It’s more the problem that Blizz considers gear the reward in and upon itself. I can’t speak for others, but for me gear was always just a stat stick I needed to do further content I wanted to do. It was only ever interesting if it had appearances I liked. Otherwise, I get gear so I can do content I like.

With things like Season 4, gear basically is the content, and that’s kinda why it feels awful to a lot of people. Getting a bigger stat stick just so I can do the raid I literally just did but on a higher level sound awful. It’s the reason I don’t play Diablo seasons and essentially just replay the game for the story now and then.

7 Likes

Agree with this guy.

If you want us to keep playing, think about how many “classes” you have in the game to learn and play.

Make “long term” gameplay about playing multiple characters to a high level of fun.

Not limiting it to where you can barely feel any sort of achievement on one single character, but only if you never miss a single weekly crumb.

Please.

Stop disrespecting my limited life span.

7 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: ^^ This

5 Likes

System looks great! Can’t wait to try it out!

1 Like

As someone getting pretty close to 278 in most of my slots, a 278 Veinripper or Sylv Dagger is still going to be very attractive and when coupled with the upgrade system to Heroic/Mythic will serve as a pretty important backup path to having those items at higher item levels. Especially for something with a low drop rate like the dagger, this is probably the only real way to get it outside of being lucky once every three weeks. On the whole, having this system is strictly better than not having this system.

A sixty boss grind sounds like a lot when phrased that way, but it’s honestly it’s just 6 weeks of clearing. At this point, all of the fights should be learned, so it’s the matter of walking into normal for six weeks and getting three guaranteed and personally selected drops. I don’t think it’s that unreasonable when you think of it that way.

can i be the one to suggestion, just have all bosses you kill (once per week per boss regardless of difficulty) drop a badge / coin/ Shard/ Cosmic Dimond w/e and they just have Vendors that sell the Normal item at set amount… then on same vendor add Upgrade items to Nomral ->Heroic → mythic at also Set prices. so that your always working towards upgrades ?

buy " Normal Jailer weapon for 20 “currency item”… then Buy Heroic upgrade item for 30 “Currency item”… Then buy Mythic upgrade for 40 "Currency item…

so by that ^^^ you would have “90” Uniq boss kills before you could get BiS Mythic weapon.

i mean in TBC/wotlk/ Cata there were gear vendros that you could use special currency to get the items that some were as good or near as good or simply Were the raid items… why not just do that in a way where u have to still kill Raid bosses but you dont have to feel as bad about not getting Loot for the “8th kill” on that boss cause if was you “50th” total boss kill and now u can buy Said item and upgrade it once!

1 Like

This is exactly how I feel as well. With nothing new to show us until Dragonflight comes out, it’s just a new-system-compounded gear grind, as if that’s the reason people want to play.

Somehow, at some point, it seems the developers of this game collectively forgot what the word “content” means.

2 Likes

Does this mean that guilds that are still progressing will be forced to run old raids to earn the token?

Please read what I was responding to.

Honestly WoW abandoned intrinsic rewards in its design a long, long time ago. I’m not sure actually if it ever had it. I mean look at Torghast – that was a great piece of content absolutely ruined and squeezed of all potential fun and enjoyment by the sheer fear that if we didn’t have to do the content then we wouldn’t do it.

Now that I don’t need to do Torghast, I don’t do it becuase I burnt out on it when I was forced to do it on every single character I wanted to play in current content.

That’s not to say that it’s wrong to have an extrinsic reward – by all means, have them. It’s an RPG, that’s part of the shtick. But “fun” hasn’t been the primary reason to do any given piece of content in WoW in a really long time, they always just staple player power into it and then look at their metrics and conflate engagement with enjoyment.

5 Likes

1-2 pieces of gear from a vendor (as you said) ontop of what already exists.
then multiple pieces from raid
then a piece from the vault guaranteed
Then legendries
You will be fully geared in 3 weeks BIS with that.

3 weeks is far too short, like waaay too short like hell i haven’t touched the raid on mythic yet or even heroic and im already soon to hit BIS and i haven’t even had good luck, just casual random gear drops, valor upgrades, and the weekly vault.

These tokens yeah its only 3 “278” items, which is not huge, but then we also have the upgrade abiltiy which will let us upgrade those to heroic and then mythic ilvl, aswell as all the rest of our gear.

But being able to buy any 1-2 peices of gear you want every single week is waaay too much.

1 Like

You left out the rest of the post how it’s by kills not difficulty.

There is probably an argument if there ever really was a time they cared about intrinsic “fun” rewards.

Because pretty much everything they’ve ever introduced as some form of reward.

6 weeks of clearing content you have already cleared with who knows what they plan on doing to it. It might be longer than 6 weeks. And you realize that when you get to boss #59, the dagger you want will drop… right?

1 Like