Raid Currency

What are everyone’s thoughts on raid currencies to target specific items over the course of a tier? Everquest currently uses this system among others and its great knowing I’ll never “not” get the item I’m chasing.

Each tier rewards x number of said currency

Once said boss is defeated on said difficulty that bosses loot table is “unlocked” on a vendor (killing heroic taragrue would unlock the lfr/normal/heroic loot tables for that boss)

For simplicity’s sake, use Stygian ember as an example where each tier provides a larger number per kill.

Lfr 1 per boss
Normal 2 per boss
Heroic 3
Mythic 4

Then make the cost somewhat reasonable, with the expectation that if you’re full clearing one tier per week you can purchase an item of your choice within 3-4 weeks. Again this isn’t meant to be the main gearing path… you will still receive drops/vault but it helps fill the gap where you’re chasing a specific item but for the life of you won’t drop.

Thoughts/suggestions/criticisms welcome

I would probably raid on more characters if something like this was available. I just can’t stand running raids week to week only to get repeat items and/or anima.

1 Like

Hello, I see you posted a thread about currency. Sounds good, sir! FF14 also has a similar system where the raids drop a currency in case you kill the first savage boss and roll a 1, 7, and 23 on the three item chests that drop!!! :rage:

Thanks for your post and have a great day!

2 Likes

We’ve talked about this a fair bit on the community council forums.

Personally, I think it should take more than 1 kill to unlock a bosses loot table. Setting it at 1 incentivizes the carry meta even more and doesn’t make everyone “fight” for their loot as much (depending on cost per item)

A rogue killing mythic sylvanas once shouldn’t instantly get both daggers when they’ve only killed the boss once (sorry rogues :wink: )
I don’t know what the magic number is. 3? 5? Not sure.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s one of the things that clearly would be better for the game but blizzard still won’t do it

Well, I don’t do current content raiding so that’s not a factor for me but it would be nice later on when xmog farming :heart:

Definitely agree, but remember let’s say that rogue unlocks m sylv loot table via a carry…

Hypothetically they can clear heroic via pugs

A full mythic clear nets 40 currency, let’s say the dagger costs 160 currency (4 full m clears)

If they wanted to farm currency to buy 2 daggers, they would have to full clear heroic 10 times (10 weeks @30 currency or ~3months) just to snag both daggers.

I totally see your point, maybe the answer is to inflate the cost of the “last two” bosses loot tables to account for this type of behavior. Essentially double the cost of the higher ilvl rewards from the last two bosses. Meaning they could still obtain the item it will just take more time. But at the end of the day they’d still get it which I think is a great motivator to keep people participating. Knowing “it’s possible”.

2 Likes

Or bring back bonus rolls that way you can go back and kill the same boss five times like bfa. This loot drop rate in sl is horrible.

3 Likes

There’s still a couple pieces of loot from CN I need to complete the plate set. They just refused to drop, or show up in the vault. Some sort of currency, bad luck protection, or bonus roll feature is needed if Blizz intends to keep the drop rates this abysmal.

1 Like

Yes and no.

They should be higher with the current raid design (higher ilvl from last few bosses) but I don’t think it’s double.

Lets say, under your idea, that an item cost is equal to one full clear of the raid. - an LFR item would cost 10, Normal 20, Heroic 30 and mythic 40.
The final bosses loot is halfway between difficulties, so they should cost 50% more? 1.5 clears for a mythic Sylvanas/KT item? (Again, unlocked after X attempts)

The other issue is that raid items aren’t the only chase pieces out there. Look at the M+ trinkets. IQD, Changeling, Scale, Phial, Ooze… the list goes on. There should be a better system than a random box in place to get these pieces as well.

Out of the three endgame pillars (Raid, M+, PvP) only PvP allows you to collect a currency and buy a SPECIFIC item with that currency. Getting a higher rating allows you to upgrade it (I don’t love this system, but its what we have right now so here we are) This is one thing I’ve never understood. To the OP point, raid items should be purchasable after X requirements are met. Same with M+. Items are not targettable in raid and M+ (outside of class stacking, but even then it’s not guaranteed)

This is a significant issue.

I’m against this.

Seems to be Blizzard’s mantra for the past 5 years.

What about that are you against?

Just to be clear in my OP I used Stygian embers as an example bc of the way the currency works. Meaning that clearing a higher tier rewards you with the previous tiers currency. The idea is not to have mythic raiders forced to run four tiers of raids to maximize acquisition.

You already get higher ilvl why would you also get gear faster.

Embers is a bad system I wouldn’t suggest copying it. Use the bonus roll system as an example. Multiple ways to get reroll tokens - gold, honor(?), Something else.

Here’s an example:

You get tokens to use on bosses after you defeat them. Once you use 3 tokens you get a vendor item to exchange for one item from that bosses loot table. The tokens you use on bosses can be aquired in: weekly vault, for gold, for pvp, for world quests, raid, m+, etc

I’d rather have a carry meta than further increase the grind for average players. This is such a bad take lol.

1 Like

See I try and be realistic, your system allows people to obtain raid level loot through acquiring tokens via world quests. IMO that’s not realistic nor healthy for a competitive game. Again the system I proposed is merely to offset the scenarios where you literally don’t see a specific item drop in your vault or raid for you for an entire patch. I’m all for constructive criticism but I don’t believe doing things outside of raiding should reward raid items or be a path to purchasing said raid items.

Also I’m not a huge fan of reroll tokens because there is still layers of RNG involved. The amount of times I’ve received gold/Azerite/wakening essences vs actual items makes it feel inferior to a system where the player can choose.

This system is not for people that get AoTC and unsub for the rest of the patch, those players may at most have earned enough for one or two items max depending on how long prog may take their guild group.

and what would this replace? they can’t keep adding systems onto systems onto systems and expect people to spend hours on wowhead trying to figure out what is happening.

Opening up with one kill is fine. The carry business is a non issue because one kill isn’t going to get you anything.

However, I don’t think this scheme would be fair for LFR since it takes so long for all the bosses to become available. Plus doing LFR is a lot more painful than normal.

1 Like

I think you’re being facetious here. Raid currency isn’t a complicated system you need to “spend hours on wowhead” understanding.

A real life example of this “system”

Go to work. Get paid a currency. Buy Groceries with that currency.

Your point about LFR is fair though. I didn’t think about the unlock schedule. Definitely a solid point that would need some consideration.

I don’t expect to get every piece of gear the first time I kill a boss. I would rather have it drop from the boss than buy it because it’s more exciting for me that way. The increased grind is not having a bad luck protection system in place, it’s not having one.

there is all sorts of other gearing systems though - you think blizzard is just going to put another guaranteed system on top of the vault system, or whatever normal system they have?

They have upgrades, they have sockets, they have personal loot, they have loot trading, they have the vault - things just aren’t simple anymore. Again what system are you going to replace.

I’d personally rather have better drop rates than currency. It’s just boring. I grind all day for currency to buy what I want, at least drops could still be exciting.

1 Like