Raid Adjustments Discussion

Unless I am misreading, clearing 5/6 in SSC and then traveling to TK to go 3/4 in under 3 hours seems a bit like speed clearing.

The perspective that 8/10 guilds should clear farm content in 1 three hour raid night sounds like a very solid approach; however, it is not the reality that many 8/10 guilds are facing. Based on the fastest SSC clear times on my server (Benedicton), only 6 are sub 1 hour. Half of the top 100 speed clears are >1.5hrs.

Dunno if this’ll help, but you sound like you’re at the same point we were awhile back. This is what we did:

At the start of the phase, we went to SSC first raid day, then TK the second raid day. We’d consistently get to each final boss with only 30-45ish mins to get some prog in, with more time on KT. In the end it just flat out wasn’t enough to actually get meaningful progression. So in the end, we noted that we were faster in TK (makes sense as only 4 bosses) and just started going to TK first, and sticking on KT until dead. Lo’ and behold the first time we did this we got 3/4 night 1 with some decent prog on KT, and then KT died in the first hour of the second raid day, and we still managed to clear up to Vashj in SSC.

Long story short, if you’re struggling to do both. Stop trying to do both and pick one to kill. Then go kill the other one. Nowadays we clear 4/4 TK and 3/6 SSC our first raid night, and then clean up SSC our second night.

4 Likes

I mean we’re efficient, but we don’t do extraordinary things. Our goal isn’t to speed clear and have the fastest clear on the server. But we focus on keeping the pace up. I think with travel time between the two instances we are at 3 hours to clear both raids. Doing 8/10 in three hours should be doable because you can just port after tidewalker and don’t have to do kael trash.

Staying efficient on time between trash is certainly key

I think this is solid advice, but the counter argument is that getting the additional bosses down each week noticeably increases the quality of the raid’s gear.

At a certain point though… it isn’t the gear that’s holding you back. It’s attempts. And often the first kill is the one that takes the longest. Once you start killing him routinely, you get through it faster and get a lot of the BiS gear that’s on him.

One recommendation for KT, P1 and P2 are NOT dps checks. Like at all. We usually have the weapons down with a solid 20-30 seconds of downtime. Conserve your strength and your CDs for P3 (ideally have everyone ready with haste and destruction pots), and then blow everything on the advisors. Wreck them. Going into P4 with only 1 advisor up is waaaaay easier than 2-3 advisors.

3 Likes

Yup. This is good advice. Lust/Heroism is a must to down Thaladred ASAP. He’s the most dangerous part of P3. And players have to learn to position themselves to maximize dps uptime on him. Sometimes you get horrible RNG with targets, but for a first kill you only need a little bit of good RNG. Once you have him on farm, it doesn’t matter much who he targets.

2 Likes

We actually save our lust for Capernian and Sanguinar. Thaladred is annoying but not deadly…but having capernian up when the tank runs up to KT is fatal

We found the raid disruption from thaladred to be a larger impact to our raid dps than Capernian. Getting him out of the way reduces how much running the raid has to do, as after that you can just plant and nuke. But she’s definitely target 2 and must die prior to KT coming up. Interesting to see a different strat though.

Thaladred will kill your raid dps by making people move. After he’s dead, everyone just parks and blasts.

Thaladred is disruptive. the sooner he dies, the sooner the raid can focus on the other adds. Capernian should still be dead, or almost dead when kael comes up.

We’ve never had problems or massive disruptions from Thaladred, and our melee stay away from him.

It’s like what others said. His presence forces people to move, lowering raid dps. When he dies, no one has to move any more for the rest of the phase, effectively increasing raid dps. That’s what I meant by disruptive. I’m sure lust can work for capernian, but I think most guilds will find it easier if Thaladred dies ASAP. When he’s dead, P3 is a cakewalk until Kael activates. If sanguinar is dead and capernian dead/almost dead you’re golden.

Except I don’t think it’s as much as a raid dps increase as you’re arguing. Lust after he goes down is better raid wide uptime. No one should die to thaladred, so once he goes down getting the rest of the advisors is far more useful than a faster kill on 1 advisor.

Melee should be on sanguinar anyway, so it’s whether you use lust on the range for thaladred or capernian. Yes lust is more efficient for capernian, but thaladred forces the range to move a lot. And it could target healers. Thaladred is the only thing that makes P3 hard. When he’s down, the mechanics are a joke so it’s just a matter of is raid dps there.

Your strat is fine, but I don’t advise guilds to do that over lusting on thaladred. Effective raid dps is probably the same if not better for lusting thaladred and removes the most dangerous part of P3 earlier. So less chance of RNG screwing you over.

Have you never had him fixate one of the tanks? Forces your entire melee pile to adjust, and you have to hope he fixates someone ranged after that.

Pretty often, depending on where he is they just sit and let him switch fixate targets or they do this wild move called…moving.

Basically your strat is to let the most dangerous mob in P3 live longer. Yes you can work around it, for guilds that have never killed the fight before, I think they will find more success killing Thaladred ASAP. And no you won’t have lust for capernian, but dps will get on capernian sooner so it’s probably a wash either way, especially since thaladred dying sooner means range dps has to move less.

So… he goes on another melee and they die instantly, or they have to run away from the bosses they’re trying to hit?

You also have limited space to move there, because Capernian is on the opposite side of the stairs.

why would melee sit in front of Thaldred while the tank is moving the boss?

Are they brain dead?