RAF reward clarification

A couple years ago I linked a few accounts to my main account and through keeping them going I earned all of the previous RAF goodies (Renowned Explorer’s set, etc). After earning all of the rewards for the time I let them lapse since I did not need or want so many accounts active at the time.

Skip ahead to now and I’m thinking of re-subing at least one of the accounts again. From what I understand, since it’s been so long I should be able to earn the new rewards (Toolbox, etc) if I generate another RAF link for the account already linked.

But I do have a question - or at least would like some clarification before I do this.

In the RAF panel in-game I see my old account(s) and when I mouse over their names I see:

“Each recruited friend can provide up to 12 subscription months toward your rewards.”

10 / 12 subscription months provided

What exactly does this mean? Does this mean that if I re-sub on that particular account that only 2 months of subscription time would count towards the new RAF bonuses? And no more?

I was kind of hoping to re-sub one of the older accounts so I wouldn’t have to make a new one egregariously so some clarification here would be nice - thanks in advance!

When two accounts are linked, the recruited account can only provide 12 months of benefits. Once that 12 months has been exhausted, the recruit link breaks. If you use those two months, then based on the count in the interface**, the link would break two months later. That account would no longer be eligible to be recruited, as well.

** - A couple things about the counter. First, you should try a Full UI Reset to rule out a display issue. Beyond that, it’s possible that it should’ve reset when the new track was introduced, but I can’t find any official language to confirm one way or the other.

You could try the Bug Report Forum to report it as not resetting, or you could try sending @WarcraftDevs a tweet to se if they can clarify. When an SFA gets in this morning, they also may be able to shed more light.

Well, shoot - odds don’t really sound in my favor then. I might take the advice and file a Bug Report. I don’t use Twitter so it’s unfortunate on my end to hear that they’ll respond to CS tweets there.

Thanks for the reply - I do really appreciate it!

@Warcraftdevs is not part of the CS team. It’s part of the development team. They’re actually not involved in CS at all and it’s more for development questions/feedback.

As to your original question, it’s hard to say. Are they showing as still linked to you in-game?

If they have been inactive, without game time, for 6+ months, then the recruit a friend link is severed. If they have been inactive for 24+ months, you ca send them a new RaF link and they should be able to link up again.

For the record, here’s where I’m seeing that info under the “Troubleshooting” tab:

5 Likes

I see how I made a mistake interpreting at a glance what that Twitter account is used for, but it doesn’t change the fact that I don’t use Twitter so that is neither here nor there, lol.

As to your original question, it’s hard to say. Are they showing as still linked to you in-game?

Yes, I still see them under my RAF panel in-game - does that mean their links aren’t severed or…? That is where I got the “10 / 12 subscription months provided” message from as that shows up under all of the accounts linked to my main.

Most of the accounts have not been used since about the end of BFA (when I finished getting my previous RAF track rewards) so I am quite confident those would be eligible for what you are talking about. Full disclosure, I did use one of the accounts briefly as a “bank account” but abandoned that idea before the end of Season 1 of Shadowlands so I’m somewhat confident that would be eligible, too - even if it is not I know the others are, but the “10 / 12 sub” message appears for them all.

The confusion is just simply because of what I see in the RAF panel in-game. If my old accounts are only eligible for giving the new RAF track rewards for 2 months then I have to make a personal choice - if I could re-sub an older account without needing to create another one then I would’ve just simply preferred to do that is all.

Admittedly I haven’t yet sent a new RAF link to any of the accounts so who knows if this would overwrite (if it even can…?) the “10 / 12 sub” thing I’m seeing in the panel. In the article linked, it does say

Once two accounts are linked, they will stay linked until the recruit has added 12 months of paid game time.

which seems counter to the link sever at 6+ / 24+ months (which is also mentioned at the top of that article). So I guess that’s what the RAF panel is hung-up on?

I was more or less hoping maybe there was an answer already known to this before I decided to blow some money on a re-sub.

Thanks again - I do appreciate the reply and the link to the article, even if it didn’t quite help in a straightforward way.