Races You Want, But You Abandoned All Hope

There are lots of cool races out there in the wild, but not all of them are likely to ever become playable. Here are some Races that I personally wish I could play as, though I hold no hope of it ever happening in my heart.

Man’ari!

I love these guys. But they are very unlikely to happen.

Why? Is it because of the story? Is it because they are evil?

No. The story is fluid. Anything could happen. A group of Draenei could be corrupted against their will and then free themselves and stay in the Alliance. Or a group of Horde Warlocks could summon Man’ari and force them to join the Horde through magic. Anything is possible because fiction is fictional and the story can go anywhere Blizzard wants it to go.

They are unlikely simply because physically they are just recolored Draenei, and we already have one of those. Hopefully one day we will get so many races that it would be fine for a base model to have 2 different recolors lol

Dryads!

Dryads are great, but they are rather unlikely to become playable.

Why? Is it because they have four legs?

Not really. Dryads are children of the Demigod Cenarius, father of Azeroth’s Druidism. Just like all Blood Elves have Racials based on the Arcane regardless of Class, all Dryads could have a Druidic Shapeshifting Racial to grow humanoid legs so they can use Mounts and stuff.

The reason why Dryads are unlikely to be playable is because they have far too many particularities about them. They don’t consume meat, they are immune to magic, the Loa gods of the Trollkind are scared of them, they can enter the Emerald Dream at will, etc. Sure, Blizzard could just ignore all their lore to make them playable in a “Gameplay First” fashion, but I don’t think they would.

One way to make them playable would be to say "because they chose to join Mortals in their Mortal conflicts, Cenarius took his godly blessings from them, but that would make Cenarius a pretty heartless character. “Oh, so you want to go to dangerous wars? Then let me make you vulnerable to magic attacks” lol

I don’t believe Blizzard would add Dryads. Hopefully they could add a Dryad Form glyph for Druids.

Harpies!

Playable Harpies would make me very Harpy, but there are two reasons why I find them unlikely to be playable.

1 - They aren’t very popular among the playerbase.

2 - They are flying creatures in a game where all combat and most meaningful forms of content are grounded.

You know when you’re in a no-flight area riding a Dragon, and you jump off a cliff and the dragon chooses death over flying and you think “that’s just stupid”? Imagine if the whole game was like that. That’s what would happen if Harpies were playable.

A Shaman pushes you off the middle bridge in Eye of the Storm? Why can’t you just fly back? Why does your character choose death?

And sure, if they were popular enough to be profitable Blizzard could potentially try. But are they? I don’t believe so.

Maybe one day Disney will make a popular TV show about Harpies, and then we will see.

Centaurs!

Centaurs are probably the least possible race in this list. And again, as children of Cenarius the reason is not their four legs. They could shapeshift out of that for Mounts.

No, the reason is simple: Blizzard does’t care about Centaurs.

They literally don’t exist outside of Vanilla content. Once you’re past Vanilla levels you’ll never see a Centaur ever again. The QUILLBOAR got a model update in BfA while Centaurs are still using their 2004 models.

If there’s a will, there’s a way. There is no will here, at least none from Blizzard’s side, which is the side that can make things happen.

What about you? Which Races do you wish you could play as but you’ve abandoned all hope they would happen?

:smiley: :neutral_face: :sob:

16 Likes

Orgres… the best race in the game and Blizzard refuses to let us have them even though there is a huge community behind it. It’s been asked why we didn’t get them since VANILLA!

9 Likes

Dryad and Deer people in Arden. :sunflower:

6 Likes

Eredar/Man’ari and Ethereals.

3 Likes

Arakkoa.

Their story in Spires of Arakk was so good. No, I don’t want to race-change my druid to zandalari, I don’t even like boomie THAT much.

EDIT: Oh and Monk’nathal. Friggin’ dope.

(I meant Mok’nathal, leaving the typo because kung fu Rexxar is indeed an amazing concept)

4 Likes

Saberons, every since they stole it from druids as a potential feral form!

4 Likes

Sethrak and Mogu

5 Likes

Sethrak, Ethereals, Sylvar, Kyrian, Saberon, Arakkoa.
Also support Ogres… idk why they never got added.

So many cool races I wish we had :sob:

5 Likes

Dryads, Furbolgs, Ogres, Forest Trolls.

Only because these races are technically already a part of their respective faction but just not made playable in several years.

3 Likes

I’d like to see Ogres

3 Likes

yeah the Cenarion/Centaur/Dryad/keeper thing…

I honestly believe a future dev team will believe in adding them somehow, but it’ll be 20 years from now lol

2 Likes

Ogres. I really thought with BfA and both the Horde and Alliance needing allies they would have added High Elves to the Alliance officially and Ogres to the Horde officially to mirror the allegiances of Warcraft 2. Would have made sense in the narrative but Blizz chose neither. At least Alliance got Void Elves and some now High Elf customization. Horde are still lacking those Ogres.

Also wouldn’t mind Saberon on either faction (though I’d hope for Alliance) but that’ll never happen either. Oh well, neither would have shadowmeld and I just can’t live without that utility lol!

4 Likes

Now that’s one mental image I didn’t think I was gonna get today. Kung Fu Rexxar lol

2 Likes

There was a time that I wanted Naga to be playable. It’s not so much that I’ve abandoned hope of them being playable, rather I no longer want them to be playable because I feel as though recent changes to them have overall ruined them for me; and thus I no longer hold the fondness that once made me want to play as one.

2 Likes

It’s still too early for me to lose hope, but I’ve had my fingers crossed for the Maldraxxus boys and Venthyr.

3 Likes

Blizzard hates ogres, but we don’t. <3

1 Like

Vrykul, but also we already have too many humans, so I dont know, really.

3 Likes

Merfolk and an entire underwater city expansion would be fun. Since they can breathe both water and air, they’d work everywhere. Centaurs too.

1 Like

Hozen and tuskarrs. I have a toy that turns me into a hozen but it drops when I go into combat. I just want to ook 'em in the dooker but blizz won’t let me

4 Likes

Call me boring, but Wildhammer Dwarves. Culturally they’re just as distinct from Bronzebeard dwarves as Dark Irons are, and lorewise they’re physically different enough to justify having their own model:

But now that the customizations are in that ship has more or less sailed. We’re forever stuck with Bronzebeards dressing up as Wildhammers.

3 Likes