Questions about Faerin Lothar's arm

It took 80 years irl time for us to improve prosthetics beyond simple hook hands, I don’t think Faerin doing anything would improve it more than simply waiting for someone else to be injured

1 Like

It doesn’t matter how long it took, someone still had to take that first step. Someone had to take that risk. And being in a position to help but instead standing back and waiting for someone else to suffer and hope they step up isn’t exactly heroic.

She would be a better fighter with both arms, that isn’t even remotely a question.
If she needs to spend a few weeks training her body not to compensate for lacking an arm, that is a small price to pay. Especially considering if, for some reason, she’s pressed into service before she’s accustomed enough to it she would still have the nub-shield to fall back on if she wishes to forgo the prosthetic.
There is no good reason for her to avoid it other than because she values her identity over her people’s safety.

1 Like

its not weeks, its years, potentially decades

1 Like

You people are making just a hell of a lot of assumptions about something you barely know anything about

2 Likes

How do you know whether we know? Are you an amputee or do you know someone who is?

I am not a limb amputee but i do use a prosthetic

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that happened to you. If you’re okay with sharing, what’s your prosthetic? I ask out of curiosity, not to nitpick.

I have a cochlear implant

1 Like

I much doubt that.

It’s a pretty safe assumption to say a combatant with two arms is better than a combatant with one arm, and that a soldier with a standard set of limbs is easier to properly outfit than one without.
But experience tells me you may be wanting to say something more than you’re letting on here.

Are you saying i am lying about being disabled. Are you that desperate and what the hell do you even mean “more then i’m letting on” If you’re gunna say something have the balls to say it

2 Likes

No, and I have no idea why you would even begin to think that.

No, I just get the feeling you want to call me a particular word and are, consciously or subconsciously, trying to bait me into saying something that will justify some preconceived notion you have about me.
Wouldn’t be the first time it’s happened.

I hope that implant does its job well for you.

As for Faerin, I am not an amputee myself, though I have read accounts from people who are. I know a couple of amputees, though their losses were digits of a finger.

Maybe spend more time arguing the actual argument instead of whatever nonsense is in your head

1 Like

I mean I was responding directly to what you were saying, but if that’s the way you wanna be lmao.

I asked you about being an amputee because you spoke as if you had some greater knowledge and I wanted to know if you were speaking from experience.

I stand by what I said about Faerin. In fact, if she did that, she could still keep her shield prosthetic or even have a range of prosthetics.

Just healing a disability is frightening for a lot of people, especially those of us who had it our whole lives, we adapted to it, we owned it. It would be the equivalent of taking a part of our identity away because someone doesn’t fit into what most people consider normal society.

It’s easy to say Just have her give up everything she is because her disability makes me uncomfortable and I want it to go away And it’s ALWAYS from people who never had to struggle with a disability who make these comments

3 Likes

Depends on the person, disability, and whether let it become their whole identity or just part of it.

I know several people with disabilities, a couple of them are close to me. Some would gladly get rid of that disability if they could, some not so much.

This part really makes me angry.

Nobody around me gives a F about my disability and that’s a good thing. I’m treated like everyone else. It’s, luckly, no part of my “identity”. That’s how it has to be. And if I could, I would have it cured immediately. Who cares about society? It’s a disability. It hinders me. It steals my time, my money and partially my freedom. I don’t want that.

People who romanticize theirs or even reduce themselves to it disturb me. If you believe it is a trait that everyone should be aware of at all times, you are entitled to your opinion, but you do not represent everyone who is affected.

5 Likes

I’ve had a traumatic brain injury since childhood. So I get the sentiment of some wanting to get rid of theirs. Mine makes it hard for me to learn things, it takes me longer than most to grasp certain things. But I’m thankfully that I largely overcame mine and wouldn’t want to be rid of that part of me. Accomplished soo much despite having so called experts saying I would never be able to live a normal life

I wasn’t trying to be insulting or anything. I’m well aware some have it way way worse than others. For me, my disability is what is. I personally don’t think about mine and people can’t really tell I have one, so that I’m grateful for that.

1 Like