Questioning Beta Invites

I’m sure a lot of people have a lot of opinions, I have a question. The most recent Classic Beta wave of invites seen a lot of players finally have access. However, I was browsing the twitch page and see a title “First Time playing WoW//Classic Beta” This was a female streamer, with 3k followers, average viewer count of 31, has no idea how to play the game. My question is why does this person get a beta invite (they clearly never signed up as they don’t play wow) and why are the players the last ones to receive and invite over streamers who don’t even play. Her example is an extreme, but even big streamers that have no idea how to play the game or care to play the game get them to boost their followers/viewer counters who don’t even know what is or isn’t a bug to report. I get that it is free publicity and marketing, but when you keep ostracizing your community and slapping us in the face with these actions you ultimately end up losing sub count. I guess the last part I shared an opinion rather than a question. Meh. Hoping to get a blue response to this question.

5 Likes

There’s your answer. That’s really all there is to it.

13 Likes

Promote the game while generating hype. They know people will play the f out of the beta so much that it won’t be pristine on launch, but people will watch it on Twitch as they wait.

2 Likes

It’s all about the money. Giving beta invites to streamers, no matter how popular, makes sense to me so Blizzard can get more attention on WOW, in general. They’re smart and they probably realize there is seemingly more hype and desire for Classic than there is for retail and want to go all in on this product.

I got in from the beginning. I’m not a steamer. Your question is invalid. Quit whining.

6 Likes

/drink

A blue post regarding the difference between influencers getting invites and player beta invites:

6 Likes

That is why, kind of answering your own question.

They have 3 K followers, so that is 3K people who would possibly be influenced and subscribe to Wow (even if just to play “Classic.”)

So why would a blue respond, when the answer is obvious?

And how are you certain of that?

T&E addressed this in one of their videos. He said something like a few thousand are in the beta right now, now name off every streamer you can think of. I guarantee it isn’t anywhere near 500 much less in the thousands.

1 Like

Ah yes. Some no name streamer who doesnt even know how to play is an excellent example of great marketing and advertising. Very much so. /s

On the other hand, “influencers” supposedly are seperate from us second class citizens so their invites supposedly dont affect random beta invites. Just wondering how someone who doesnt even know the game (“influencer” or not) was even opted in for it.

Translation:

I had a dig at one of the GM’s, they told me in a support ticket that beta invites were random, then i told him to pull the other one since streamers were hand picked. They know what they’re doing. It’s a smart move, push the invites to player who can promote the game, keep most people hyped and force resubs over the next few months.

OMG - ASK in the correct forum. They are purposely not inviting people who post in this forum and not the classic one.

Have they stated that?

No I made that up but it would be a good idea.

3 Likes

Getting your product in front of people who would otherwise not know about it IS good marketing.

Getting a Streamer to play Classic on Twitch or Youtube who doesn’t normally play WOW has the potential to bring in their followers. It’s good business. What would you bring to the table?

Let me ask you this.

Is this beta then or early access?

I bring my money and my friends. I didnt realize this was a competition?

Which will be great when it goes Live on 8/27. Blizz doesn’t need you or your friends in Beta right now though. When they do you’ll get that invite.

Being a subscriber means you pay to play, so are way more inclined to be honest about their product.

You didnt answer my question.

And I think blizz would disagree with you, because Ive never heard them say something as silly as one player mattering more than another at any time.

Again though… is this beta for testing the game or is this the “advertising” phase? Because if I have to wait until August just for advertising it may not be worth it at this point.

The issue here is that this whole thing is starting to look like they dont need time to work on the game and test it, but instead give streamers as much time as possible to hype it up or whatever and that long is too long just to sit around and watch streamers mess around.

1 Like