Question: Please explain why the named 'NECRO' threads are so bad?

I wasn’t planning on necro’ing an old thread. :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated: I’m just saying based on the wording, it’s not outright banned, just discouraged. :dracthyr_comfy_sip:

5 Likes

It is not exactly discouraged, but is an actionable offense, and the severity determinds on whether the post just gets removed, or whether you get a forum silence.

Though I think this mostly comes down to the moderation to determind on what actions to take I should correct.

1 Like

It continually confuses me why Blizzard doesn’t enable auto locking of old threads on this forum.

3 Likes

You may. I find that excuse works best at ~2:00p most days.

2 Likes

Sure, if you want to take that chance.

1 Like

That’s my point. :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated: It’s a grey area so it just depends. :dracthyr_comfy_sip:

I swear, Vrak gets quoted in GD more than any other Blizzard CS member. Damn Vrak, you gotta teach everyone your secrets to get so much quote love.

Actually your original point was it’s fine to necro a thread as long as you’re not “bumping” it, which makes no sense.

While I too am one for wishing all threads would lock automatically at 30 days - the necro where you were chastised?

It’s a bigger issue in CS because information changes. Not even taking into consideration whether or not the OP of the thread in question still plays or not - the information gets outdated so very quickly. Try and think of all that has happened in the time between the thread was created and now.

All of the hotfixes, the maintenance, the patches, entire expansions… and that’s not even touching on policy changes and all of that muck. The thread you found there on CS and brought back from the depths of the void? It was created back when Battle for Azeroth was in swing. The character that posted that thread has not even logged into the forums in so long (November 2019) that their character was never level squished.

It’s not the end of the world, but you live and you learn. In CS especially, it’s best to create a new thread if you can’t find anything that is a couple of weeks old or younger. That’s a good rule of thumb to follow. Now General Discussion and the other forums? Other folks will gladly fill you in on their posting etiquette because that, I cannot speak with much knowledge on. ^^

Good luck to you.

1 Like

Bumping it as in just saying “bump”, which would just be spam. :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

Posting anything in a thread is bumping it. This reply to you is a thread bump.

4 Likes

Again, that makes no sense. The rules don’t say that, it just uses that as an example.

“Don’t necro posts by doing things like ‘bump.’”

That’s it. Time to break out the blue flags :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

It could be someone was just angry because they had to walk their dog in the rain, the dog was taking too long, and when they got back and saw your note they just flipped out.

But it has to be the dog. My cat says nothing good ever comes from playing with a dog. I don’t know, they seem like fun to me.

Your cat is obviously taking advice from a ferret.

2 Likes

I got a couple of days ban from the forums once for necroing. The forum no-lifes were more active 5 years or so ago.

I searched the forums because i had a question and came upon the same question. I read all the replies and the OP never did get an answer, so i made a comment that i had the same question. The issue was not resolved, and still something i was interested in. The original post was about 9 months old. Instead of replying to the question, there were like 20 replies calling me out for necroing. And i was banned. Those no-lifes that reported me were pathetic. I occasionally see a necro these days, and it might get called out, but not nearly with as much zealot fervor as 5-10 years ago.

In very rare occasions, an old issue is still relevant, and the necro is OK. It also helps if the person resurrecting the threads prefaces with something along the lines of “I understand this is a necro, but it is still relevant.”

However, most of the times, it’s irrelevant; the issue was fixed, the people involved are not playing, there’s a new system in place, the rewards were retired, etc. so, it’s literally a confusing waste of time to read or respond to those threads.

What, exactly, does this mean?

They got suspended for two days for necroing a thread.

My guess this isn’t their first time or their first time trolling.