Quest Exclamation Marks on World Map? Where are they?

New player channel apparently has no idea, so asking here.
Just look at image for example:

https://i.ibb.co/3YPFVXd/Screenshot-2.jpg

Quests are actually all over the place. I’m passing by them left and right. But only very rarely does an exclamation point show on the world map. Why aren’t all the quests available showing up? Is there any addon to do this? How on earth should I know where to go to get all the available quests out there? Just “luck” into seeing one?

1 Like

Those are “elite/rare” bosses. It isn’t a quest or anything. They only show when that rare has spawned. Sometimes it may be an event too like in your screen shot during WoD there was one where you had to gather all these blood things etc. to once complete it spawned a rare or something like that. But that had that icon too.

Hmm I must not be explaining this properly. The point of that screenshot is to show the entire lack of any exclamation points. Nothing else on the map is relevant to my question. I’m not asking about anything on that map – just illustrating how the entire map offers no exclamation point icon to show me where a quest is. Yet, there are quests all over this map. Quests right at my level. But they do not appear on this map. Only “sometimes” will they appear, in other areas, etc.

How come “available quest” exclamation mark icons won’t show on my map 99% of the time?

well tanaan was a max level zone at the time, so its not going to show quests like the other zones, is my guess. also you might be seeing the quest markers on the mini map for the pet daily quests. there shouldnt be many quests in tanaan outside of the town there, except for the pet battles.

Edit: oh yeah, if you havent gone thru the tanaan jungle unlock scenario, it probably wont show any of the dailies there.

Ahhh. It likely is because then you haven’t really unlocked your factions rep for that yet. If you go into Tanann (or whatever it is called) nothing will appear for you until you unlock it. Then you will see quests/dailies. I forget what you needed to do to unlock though.

1 Like

Are you max level? You might need to turn on the viewing of older low-level quests. It’s done the same way you turn on/off tracking for gathering professions.

EDIT: Or is this only on the big map they don’t show?

Hmm thanks for the answers. OK so all these side quests I’m seeing, that aren’t on the world map, are dailies? I haven’t really played since vanilla, and just do classic.

The thing is, it seems I can go do any area, anywhere, and quests aren’t showing up. Only 1 or 2 in Talador, yet I am passing by quest after quest in Talador. Or anywhere. I just wish I could see all available quests on my map so I could go to them. I have no idea if this is a bug, normal, a setting – no clue. I just wish I could see all the quests.

I’m not max level. I am 37. So I figured I’d find a zone appropriate to my level, and the quests would start showing up. That’s why I’m in this zone. But it’s the same thing everywhere. The quests are only very rarely showing on the world map. They show on the mini map just fine.

1 Like

Tanaan has an intro quest you need to do before the quests will show up.

…Unless you just meant in general, in which case click that magnifying glass in the top right and make sure show quest objectives is checked off.

being that your 60, you probably have to turn on trivial quest tracking.

and if the ! is blue, its a daily, they should show on the map. are you in chromie time? i dunno if that messes stuff up

I’m heading to Frostfire Ridge to see if I can start the quest chain. I only got here via the cave in pandaria – sitting on the care, green fire thing. So I’ll try to start the main quest line. At least it sounds like, from you guys, that quests do show up. So glad this isn’t always the case.

Oh I’m 37 at the moment. I’m not doing Chromie time.

^ This too

did you do the garrison and WoD intro stuff? that might keep quests from showing if you havent done those intro quests too.

Classic 60, not Retail 60
He’s talking about another toon.

1 Like

No, I haven’t really done anything. I’ve just been noticing this everywhere I go tho. Azshara, for example, straight out of the gate from Org. Quests everywhere, but only very few show up on the world map.

yeah, didnt see that till after i replied. oops.

1 Like

Oh. I didn’t even look at the profile pic. I assumed they were 60 retail from the post I quoted heh.

1 Like

Yeah I’m a total retail nub. Purely classic. But retail is so far really fun. This quest thing is really bugging me tho. Messing with my OCD to complete all quests. How can I see them??Ahhhh

yeah thats probably why. vanilla stuff everything should be showing, the expansion stuff there is usually an intro, chromie time will put you on the breadcrumb for the one you choose, otherwise you need to find the starting point for it, “should” be the bulletin board outside the throne room in Org… should… heh

1 Like

Here is maybe a better example. I’m in Frostfire now. But only a few exclamation point icons show up on the map. But there are a LOT more quests in this zone. Why does it only show so few???

https://i.ibb.co/YXHrzNh/Screenshot-3.jpg

OK thanks for the lead. Maybe I’ll do Chromie time for this world.

yeah, need to find the starting quest to go to WoD, do the opening and unlock the garrison and then i should show everything. i forget how to start it, but wowhead should be able to point ya in the right direction and have comments if somethings not right

https://www.wowhead.com/quest=34398/warlords-of-draenor-the-dark-portal#:~:text=You%20can%20start%20your%20Warlords,see%20low%20level%20quests%20easily.

that should get ya started