(Query): Varian's Soul Not Obliterated?

(Statement): Unit Exacitor found this on the General Discussion forums, and is interested in input from the Story Forums.

(Summary): A specific Demon Hunter is able to see what appears to be the souls of Varian and Tiffin Wrynn in Stormwind’s throne room. It would appear to be content that did not make it into the game properly.

(Commentary): Still, seems an interesting point for discussion. Does this mean Varian’s soul would’ve gone to Ardenweald and taken on the form of a wolf?

3 Likes

Considering his background and sensibilities, I think it would be more likely that King Varian Wrynn would find himself in Maldraxxus, though preferably I would like to think he would go onto to a less sinister, less undead infested warrior heaven. He deserves better imo.

11 Likes

(Commentary): Unit Exacitor agrees, to be honest, though I won’t deny that I discounted Varian’s connection to Goldrinn. Then again, the writers seemed to forget it existed after Wolfheart as well. It never really came up again. What if Goldrinn somehow marked his soul and that caused him to go to Ardenweald?

2 Likes

I won’t believe Varian’s soul is obliterated until Blizzard confirms it

8 Likes

If Gul’dan for Whatever reason did not Obliterate Varian’s Soul then he went to either Maldraxxus, or, what is more likely in my case, he was ensnared by the Maw and we will help free him later in the expansion.

4 Likes

(Commentary): Maldraxxus would certainly make the most sense, but didn’t Varian die before the machine of death was broken?

1 Like

Man I don’t know when the Machine of Death broke, the entire timeframe for the Shadowlands is just whack

6 Likes

Varian entered Nirvana and thus escaped the cycle of Rebirth.

1 Like

I want to believe this is just a fun little thing - Goldrinn and the dead wife - but its inclusion at this specific point means it may well be foretelling something

I don’t think Varian would have gone to Ardenweald. I’m imagining the Arbiter is similar to the Sorting Hat from HP - it would see that Varian’s soul was indeed touched by a wild god, but I would imagine it would be outweighed by his actual life. Also the fact that Goldrinn would probably have brute forced his way into being rezzed in Maldraxxus (not really but meme).

That being said. Going to Ardenweald would make sense, to finally give him some peace. I’d rule out Bastion entirely.

2 Likes

Even if they say it is obliterated today, they could change their minds next time they want his ghost to show up.

I mean, Derek Proudmoore shouldn’t have had a corpse either, but here he is…

23 Likes

Was there any reason to believe his soul was obliterated? I mean, his body was, but his soul?

1 Like

I’m not sure when the machine broke- but let’s say it was before Varian died.

Bwonsamdi was able to save trolls from going to the maw. I think it would be reasonable that Goldrin saved his champion/incarnation from the maw. That would mean he’s brought to Ardenwald. Also explains why his spirit is a wolf.

Does he deserve peace? Yes. But the shadowlands is under threat and are in need of capable fighters.

2 Likes

If they say it’s obliterated, that’s what it is until they say otherwise.

Derek Proudmoore shouldn’t have had a corpse though, that’s dumb, and not just because it’s a retcon.

Because he was killed by the strongest Warlock who ever lived and it stands to reason he wouldn’t let a soul like that one go if he didn’t destroy it outright with fel magic.

4 Likes

The Shadowlands only came under severe threat when the Arbiter broke down and if Varian deserved peace then he gets peace not be sent to Maldraxxus!

2 Likes

Lets hope Varian’s soul is alive and well, while Jaina’s soul gets deleted for anima.

He’s not gone. His soul survived.

1 Like

I’d be down for something like an NPC hinting at him ending up in one of the covenant’s we won’t see as a bit of an easter egg, but I’d rather he not show up. He’s my favourite character but his story is done, let him rest.

I figured that was a comforting lie by the Light. Bwonsamdi did a similar thing for Zekhan, showing Saurfang in a peaceful afterlife, when he’s actually in the Maw.

1 Like

Perhaps but Ysera is not in the maw, so the machine wasn’t broken when Varian died. And if it had been Baine seeing his own father would you doubt it was his fathers soul?