Queen Calia Menethil... This made me laugh (Spoilers)

Nah but that word is so overused. For many decades, the word was very clear. It clearly referred to a specific event that happened during WW2, involving a certain group of people, at certain locations. That’s what it meant.

Millennials have taken the work and completely cheapened it and turned it into a buzzword, which is actually disturbing.

Dishonest people saying that “Bael Modan” or “Camp Taurajo” or “Purge of Dalaran” was a G-word… disturbing and direspectful.

Exactly why since WW2 we use in part as part of the definition. It’s why the Armenian genocide is recognized and the Bosnian genocide, or the Rwandan genocide or currently what’s going on in Palestine. “In whole or in part and the intent” makes it a genocide instead of mass ethnic cleansing and extermination. The goal of removing from existence in whole or in part and that being the stated intent. Is what makes genocide a genocide.

In the case of the human remnant population of Lordaeron they existed in Lordaeron province of Silverpine and Hillsbrad. Southshore being the port which had major historical ties to the people of Lordaeron. Southshore is where Calia Menethil lived for a time before it was razed and bombed with the plague.

The towns of Hillsbrad, Southshore, Pyrewood and Ambermill were the last living remnant of Lordaeron which was continually populated within lower Lodaeron. The goal Sylvanas had was to exterminate and ethnically cleanse the population. To raise thousands as new undead. The concentration camp of the Sludge Fields and Azurelode mine. The reason for exterminating these people was to eliminate the human presence hence a genocidal goal and a follow through that worked until Post Fourth War.

The survivors once again return to rebuild and though diminished they suffered a genocide and ethnic cleansing of their population not by the Scourge, but their supposed sentient kin in the Forsaken ranks. Remember lore wise these provinces and towns are far larger than what we see. Meaning not a place with a few houses, but living breathing communities. Why try to deny what Cataclysm made so obvious? They were showing it and made it obvious even Drek’thar recognized it.

I don’t disagree, but so far the only two acknowledged genocides in Azeroth are Theramore and Teldrassil. They are Canonically acknowledged as genocides by the source material.

1 Like

Yes, but we can’t ignore what was done in Lordaeron by the Forsaken. The quest texts make it resoundingly clear what the stated goal was there in Lordaeron by the Forsaken making it a irrefutable case of genocide. One which sadly has been ignored by many players.

I don’t ignore it. I always bring up how the Forsaken nuked Southshore and literally erased Hillsbrad Fields Town (Hillsbrad was also a Town btw) from the face of the earth.

Best to remind all these people that Sylvanas was always a genocidal villain.

1 Like

She was a villain WoTLK and people forget the Battle for Undercity where Varian discovered the human experiments and what the Forsaken were doing under her rule. Luckily she was able to pass the buck to the Dread Lord, and pretend she didn’t know, but if we start there and follow her intent, her stated goals and actions. Cataclysm shouldn’t of been a surprised and I guess BFA… either. Not to mention Shadowlands.

Well, apart from the large number of refugees who were living in Stormwind. In other words, even though they didn’t have continuous population, ethnic Lordaeronians still existed, even if you consider them to be separate from other humans.

But what percentage of the total human population do you think lived in Southshore, Pyrewood, and Ambermill? Destroying those three cities hardly threatens humans as a species.

Cataclysm made obvious that it was a horrific war crime. But there are other war crimes besides genocide.

To my knowledge, the word has never been used in any official material for Theramore, though it’s been thrown around plenty by fans.

1 Like

Actually she was a villain since Vanilla. The RAS was tasked by Sylvanas with creatIng a plague that would destroy all the living on Azeroth.

I’ll be charitable and not consider her a villain in WC3, although slaughtering Garithos’ men after they helped her win the battle was villainous.

She was a villain to the Alliance since Vanilla, which was fine. To the Horde, she was more of an unreliable antihero. At least part of the time, depending on who was writing her on a given day.

2 Likes

Wrong. At the August Celestials Trial, Taran Zhu states that one of Hellscream’s crimes is “Genocide”.

Hellscream’s greatest crime was nuking Theramore, a large port city and major population centre on mainland Kalimdor.

What other thing Hellscream committed that could constitute a “genocide”?

Hmm, I actually didn’t know about that. Okay, I’ll give you that one.

Was that in War Crimes? If so, Christie Golden sure loves to throw the word around.

4 Likes

Well, Duh. The Forsaken were literally the villains, so how could she be a villain to the villains?

This is like saying “Arthas was a villain to the Alliance, to the Scourge he was an anti-hero”.

Fact is, the RAS under Sylvanas’ orders was developing a plague to wipe out all life.

There already were plagues to wipe out life, like the one that created the Scourge in the first place—they didn’t need to develop new ones. The innovation they were trying to find was a plague that would also affect undead.

Not the species, but the ethnic population of Lordaeronians in Lordaeron. Similar to the Armenian population which was purged along with Greek population of Anatolia in Turkey. The Turks razed and killed thousands of people in these communities that dated back thousands of years resulting in their genocide. Similar situation not a species ending event, but a cultural and ethnic minority being purged and exterminated for the intent of solidifying control of Lordaeron under Sylvanas and the Forsaken. Remember the definition of genocide is in whole or in part with the intent to wipe out a people from an area. Do you deny this wasn’t their intent after seeing Hillsbrad aka Sludge Fields and the ruins of Southshore? Fenris Isle? Pyrewood? Ambermill?

Okay, I understand your definition now. I don’t agree with it, but I understand it.

I think you’re putting more weight on the ethnicities of individual human kingdoms than the game does. And furthermore, I don’t think the Forsaken cared about whether the living humans they fought were Lordaeronian, Arathi, Stormwindian, or whatever. Unless you’re going to claim “living” constitutes an ethnicity to them.

Wrong.

Why don’t you go see how the Captured Mountaineer enjoys this special drink I made for him? It contains a subtle hint of what The Dark Lady has planned for the rest of Azeroth

h ttps://warcraft.wiki.gg/wiki/A_New_Plague_(4)

Why can’t you people just accept that you chose the Villain side? Bruh, you literally chose the sides with zombies. Just accept that the zombies were the villains, it’s really not that difficult to understand.

2 Likes

Yeah, so they tested it on a living guy, so what?

Actually, let’s just drop it here because as soon as someone says “You chose the villain side,” I can already see the conversation isn’t going to go anywhere, and I’m on vacation and don’t feel like twenty rounds of pointless arguing about WoW factions.

2 Likes

Can you read?

“a subtle hint of what the Dark Lady has planned for the rest of Azeroth

It’s pretty self-explanatory.

1 Like

Like I said, dropping it. This will be my last response to you on this sub-thread.

Still agree with you about the G-word, though.

3 Likes

We understand each and we get that we may disagree, but the lore is very clear on what intent was and ultimate goals for. It’s why I think the Amani Troll Wars was a form of genocide of the troll population from much of Lordaeron to build the human and elf kingdoms. Doesn’t make exterminating an entire group right. I wish this game did nuance better.