Quality of Customer Service

Yesterday I submit a ticket, and I’ll be the first to admit that the topic of concern was the result of personal error. I selected an item from the Great Vault prior to attaining the quest for my mage which rewarded the legendary (which happens to be necessary for competitive PVP) - the quest was not available at the time, and being an alt, I hadnt even thought to check to see if it would become available through completing a Maw quest.

So here’s the crux of the issue, as a player who’s been loyal to Blizzard and WoW since 2004, I was extremely disappointed with the quality of service that was presented to me. In past expansions, tickets would lead to in-game interactions with GMs who generally showed an interest in whatever your problem was - and would often go above and beyond to resolve the issue; the opposite of my experience today.

I was given a GM reply after 20 hours, it wasnt in-game and it surely was not very personal. It’s not difficult to sum up my interactions, because the response given to me basically told me tough cookies, your mistake will only be resolved by getting a new Great Vault item next week; and explicitly saying that customer service does would not be of service to me on this matter.

And while I understand that at the end of the day, my mistake is something that I will have to live with, I cant help but feel that I have been left with a sour taste in my mouth. I havent made a ticket in years, so perhaps that’s the reason that I hadnt realized how far Blizzard had fallen in regards to customer service; but one thing I can be sure of – the moment a better MMORPG comes to market that provides exciting gameplay and value for their customers, Blizzard will see a mass exodus. This is something I would rather see resolved, going back to the ‘old’ Blizzard – not the in-game purchase pushing, not going to help you but please continue to pay for a sub, company, that it’s become today.

13 Likes

This is some high level “I want to speak to your manager” stuff right here.

You made a mistake.
Instead of taking your lumps you try to deflect blame and play victim.
You pulled the loyal customer card.
And the coup de grace, an ultimatum threatening to leave.

It’s like a play by play from the Karen’s handbook.

33 Likes

100% this. Add on the fact that most if not all GMs are working from home due to a global pandemic and more people stuck at home means more tickets means longer queue time, coming here complaining that they didn’t fix your own mistake doesn’t look good on you. Player choice should have meaning.

5 Likes

If that’s what you’ve gathered from this post, I dont know what to tell you.

At no point was blame deflected, if you read the first sentence of the post it should be very clear that I’m admitting that the topic of concern was due to my own negligence; the end result being something that I accept and will pay more attention to in future.

Furthermore, there is / was no ultimatum or threat to leave. It’s a personal opinion, one which you - or anyone else - can freely disagree with; that being said, implying such things that I did not state serves only to discredit your motives for replying to this post.

2 Likes

So instead of owning your mistake and just waiting till next week, you actually wanted someone to go into the game’s code and complete that quest for you so you wouldn’t have to wait and they’re wrong for seeing how ridiculous that request is?

2 Likes

From working in retail years ago this is spot on.

3 Likes

If you realize you made a mistake then what was the point of the ticket? Suggesting that there will be a mass exodus to a new game because they didn’t fix your mistake is the same as an ultimatum.

1 Like

Back when I was playing Everquest. One of my friends accidently sold
his Shadow Knight’s epic weapon. A weapon that took a very long
quest line that required a large group to do, and can only be done
once per character.

He of course, wanted it back. So he sent in a ticket and talked to a
GM. Know what he was told? Sucks to be you. You shouldnt have sold it
and no, you are not getting it back.

2 Likes

I’m not seeing the issue here.

7 Likes

Personally I have found customer support to be excellent. So long as the issue was resolved, whether its online tools, written replies or whatever the fact it was resolved is fine by me and the few tickets i have opened got there.

However, when when I see customer services referring others issues to GD its a sign that the concept of customer service is totally lost on them.

We know that GD can get very toxic. Ive seen referrals get ripped to bits by the community. Its like feeding your customers to the wolves and for some reason they think its good service because they keep doing it.

1 Like

You made a mistake, tried to get someone else to fix your issue. Was told it couldn’t be done, but hopefully it will resolve next week. And instead of saying thank you and good bye, you come onto the forums to tell all of us how horribly you were treated?

Am I up to speed?

If you accidentally delete your character, there’s a tool to restore the character - same with items.

Mistakes happen, and while I accept the result - the manner in which it was conveyed left much to be desired in contrast to the way GM interactions would go in the past. Rather than sitting on my mistake I chose to seek out a GM in hopes of resolving the issue; as any reasonable person should in my opinion.

If this is something that they arent willing to resolve, my suggestion would be to implement a safeguard so that players must first receive such quests prior to being able to select an item from the Great Vault.

1 Like

There’s only so many warning labels we can slap on things before people have to start just learning from their own stupid mistakes and dealing with the consequences. Your horrible consequence is waiting a whole six days to complete a quest.

I think you’ll be fine, sugar.

10 Likes

Gms working from home is the EXACT same as working from the office… Sorry to tell you a computer does not change so drastically from being moved to a new location.

4 Likes

You want first class service for $15/month? Dude, I give Google Ads over $500/month, and their customer service is WAY worse. It can be weeks before they you even get a response. It’s the way of the world my friend. People will still pay even with poor customer support, so why should they pay for better support?

This op man, that’s hillarious

It is not the ‘exact same’ but you believe what you want.

I feel like 90% of tickets are asking for things that CS can’t help with.

2 Likes

The issue is you’re making it personal. This isn’t a business to business relationship, it was your mistake and it’s at their discretion what they choose to do. Should it have been purchase related the outcome would’ve been different. Surely you can wait a few days for the next weekly reset :thinking:.

The real question is, what is the purpose of customer service - if not to appease customer complaints or issues.

If rectifying an issue, such as mine where the the merits of the quest were met (despite not having the quest until say 20 minutes later) what is the harm in retroactively giving the player credit for the quest.

The benefit to the player, I would argue, would outweigh the harm to the games integrity and community. Are GM’s really GM’s if they only serve to direct you to the forums or wowhead, or are they simply outsourced personnel with limited care or understanding for those that play the game.

GM’s used to be held in high regard - perhaps they still are - helping people with restoring characters that were thought to be long lost, or items that had gotten lost in a transfer. Now when you speak to a GM, you get a link to WoWhead with no further communication and your ticket is marked resolved.

The intention of this post is not to complain about my own personal circumstance, but rather discuss the nature of GM interactions and how they have in my opinion gone down hill.

4 Likes