Q'onzu Was a Disappointment

Yeah. She’s the only exception for whatever reason. There are the lun’alil, I forgot how their group is spelled, in zandalar that are considered heretics.

She might have been considered a loa in ages past before the kaldorei built their empire and afterwards there was a falling out

1 Like

And yet the Emerald Dream is mentioned in the WC3 manual. Maybe even in Day of the Dragon, where Ysera is first mentioned production wise (while not directly stated, Krasus did drink a potion that allowed him to cross into the ‘realm of dreams’ in order to speak with Ysera. Ysera is also referred to as ‘The Dreaming’ and the Mistress of dreams’ a few times Chapters 12 and 14 cover this).

Though most green dragons live within the mystical dimension known as the Emerald Dream, a few of the graceful creatures still roam the shadowy paths of Ashenvale forest. (p.g 86)

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/misc/Warcraft%20III%20Manual.pdf

Last I checked, the WC3 manual predates the War of the Ancients trilogy. Reign of chaos came out in 2002, the first WotA novel came out in 2004.

So how could the Emerald Dream be created first and foremost in the WotA trilogy if it was first mentioned in 2001-2002?

I was going off memory.
So it was created for nelf background in WC3.
Nothing changes here.

As you yourself quoted,

:person_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah sure, just ignore the stuff in Day of the Dragon that was alluding to it.

Next time it might be best not to type it in all caps if you are simply going off memory.

You’re pretty good at this stuff.
Remind me when nelf green dragon riders were a thing.

1 Like

Sorry but I am not your memories.

The green dragonflight had served nelves, and only nelves, as far back as TBC.

1 Like

I disagree. Questing in a Night Elves in a palce with Night Elf aesthetics and lore, is questing in Night Elf content.

2 Likes

I think that’s what he’s saying, since what he’s suggesting as ED content is a hypothetical that we didn’t get, and why he dislikes what the game did offer instead.

But I think the reality is that the devs don’t see the Emerald Dream as something that’s meant to be dragon content that can exclude night elven thematic influence, since the two are so entwined at the root by design. The class itself is built to be nelf-centric, so it’s easily possible to have druid content without green dragons but not so easy, perhaps impossible, to truly have green dragon or ED content without nelf influence, because nelf aesthetic is essentially ED-made-real. So if you want to do anything different, the only space you’re kinda left with is waking-world content that doesn’t involve the Cenarion Circle, which is basically BFA’s Zandalari dinomancers and that’s it.

I think another example of this would be Ion’s interview where he discusses how improbable he feels goblin druids would be. In his mind, it’s not about “how would goblin society express their own druids” but his inability to rationalize how goblins would conform to the Cenarion Circle.

When you combine that with the fact that of the playable mortal races, green dragons only seem to have any meaningful content with night elves, I think it makes the greens secondary in their own intended domain.

2 Likes

There’s also the harvest witches and the kul tiran Druid group. Problem is blizz absolutely refuses to treat all the different Druid groups as the unique organizations that they are.

Instead blizz forces all Druid groups into night elven dominated cenarion circle

4 Likes

I forgot about the drust, but I don’t know if you can really count Gilneas’s harvest witches anymore because the worgen are fundamentally nelf-sourced in origin and they go on to learn from the CC anyway (it’s why I discounted Darkspear trolls). I highly doubt you’re ever going to see a harvest witch that isn’t a worgen at this point, especially when the race itself already struggles with only being partially represented in Gilneas.

Although come to think of it, the drust are just Nightmare spinoffs to begin with.

Idk, seemed like he was talking about current content here?

though i don’t really wanna rehash a lot of sarm’s really insightful post, i will just say, i think you and i are in agreement that a lot of the emerald dream content we’ve received, most particularly in the most recent few patches, is night elf content.

1 Like

in this case i was speaking about a different part of the lore that is similarly strongly entwined with a lot of night elf lore, viz. druidism in azeroth, and noting that even despite the strength of this connection, there are many ways in which one can have druid content which isn’t just about night elves.

2 Likes

Alright, my apologies.

1 Like

i apologize for being a bit sporadic with my replies; i’m still figuring out this medium and will get better about quoting ppl in my posts, so i can make them less frequently lmfao. bear w/ me, friends

2 Likes

i think honestly it’s easy to forget that the original version of the dream contained, so far as i can recall, a potentially infinite number of layers, which to my mind 1. has a similar issue with implementation as the shadowlands does, in that representing that infinitude is simply impossible in the game, and 2. means that whatever layers are represented can vary wildly in their appearance. night elves have just sort of occupied the niche, more than any other playable race, of having naturalistic imagery fit their aesthetic. perhaps part of what’s underpinning the entirety of this thread is a question of when* something really constitutes “night elf content,” a standard which evidently varies wildly person to person. the tomb of sargeras raid from legion had a ton of night elf imagery and themes, but i for my part wouldn’t call it “nelf content” predominantly, but perhaps others would disagree. i imagine we’ll see similar arguments in here about the harronir as time wears on…

1 Like

Just wanna say that I’m excited about harronir and looking forward to learning more about them

2 Likes

I vaguely remember something about layers, but I thought the Emerald Dream was named such because Azeroth’s original blueprint was of verdant forests covering the entire planet, such that anything falling outside that ecosystem is technically unnatural.

As for Harronir, I’m definitely getting that as my first impression. A reclusive, nature-revering race protecting world tree roots named after Elune? It was an instant and immediate turn-off for me, and the fact that they have itty bitty tusks and sometimes paws on their feet doesn’t cut it as worthwhile differentiation, especially when they look based on the nelf model on top of that. It’s a big reason why I’m dreading them becoming a neutral race. :confused:

1 Like

yeah, according to the encyclopedia it “represents how azeroth would have been if intelligent beings had not altered its surface.” the layers are, say, “drafts” of this idea? honestly, part of the difficulty in grasping what the layers are is that blizzard itself has been pretty, uh, stingy with the deets; there was a zone for it all the way back in vanilla which never made it off the cutting room floor and was just a really lush forest, and i thought there were anthropoid statues in it, too. but like i said, one of my personal gripes with the dream as we’ve known it in-game is that a ton of the most intriguing parts of it are just left to the wayside, and it’s Just Another Field in which to kill bears or wolves or whatever

edit: it’s almost like the twisting nether in that way, at least to me. these realms where thought itself is supposed to be the great mover and shaper of the landscape, but only in theory and on paper. also, kudos to denona, i’d forgotten the day of the dragon allusions myself

1 Like