Pyromancer's rant on/about Blizzard

Anyone else see this? It seems like more and more streamers/wow loyalists have given up on the game/team.

Says it all really.

9 Likes

It says nothing. They are individuals like you and me and only hold sway with people who care what those individuals say. Them quitting is literally no different than you or I quitting in so far as it mattering.

Streamers need to leave anyway. Too many games bend over backward for them and Streamer Privilege is unreal. If anything, just rejoice they have left, and carry on.

15 Likes

You are completely wrong.

I understand many people dislike streamers, as there are some negative sides that have been created due to streaming. This I freely acknowledge.

But saying “it’s literally (please stop using this word in literally every sentence people, it hurts) no different than you or me quitting” is plain wrong. Today, games live or die due to streaming. This is happening whether you like it or not, whether you participate in the viewership or not. This is the new standard for better or worse.

Asmongold, Preach, Belullar, Pyromancer and some other youtubers/streamers who recently spoke against Blizzard are WoW influencers and their opinion matters to a large portion of the community.
They might not matter to you because you are “not a sheep”, or “I don’t need other’s opinion to validate my own” or any other argument people write while seeking validation on the WoW forums but the streamers are still reaching out to thousands of people. So Preach saying he will leave is a huge deal. Asmongold’s and Pyromancer’s rant have been seen by more than a million people on youtube.

It is absolutely a huge deal for Blizzard.

23 Likes

People with large followings leaving the game for other games absolutely matters. Maybe not for people who live under a rock, sure, but for their audiences it does matter.

5 Likes

Sounds like copium, Mr. Gnome.

I’d say losing some of the largest content creators and streamers with an audience of millions (collectively) > losing 5-6 random subs.

4 Likes

The streamers in most cases play at or with the upper levels of players. In that sense they represent that 1% player base. So they really only affect 1% of the game.

If you consider how people are sheep however then streamers along with many others makes for an exodus…

He rages hard about the wow community, wow tokens, the harassment lawsuit, and the terrible wow lore, which he is well known for covering. Mostly the terrible lore.

He’s too emotionally invested and attached to the game it seems, which is feeding his visceral reaction. I can’t blame him for that, given the wow related content he’s made for years.

I don’t get why he’s mad about the store stuff that has been there for years. If people want to pay $$ for boosts and gold then so be it. A lot of games offer those store services nowadays. I’m not at all convinced these services have the negative impact that some people like to claim.

And I’m sick of people that hate on the community, as if the community isn’t comprised of a large diversity of individuals with diverse opinions. Generalizing this many people is not logical or helpful, and imo is only done because people like pyromancer are mad about the opinions from a subset of players that don’t align with his.

And I would disagree. Streamers only hold sway within their audience. A vast majority of WoW Classics playerbase are either not even aware of these people, or don’t follow them, and even among those that do, many people will just stop watching that person instead of copying them and leaving the game. Yes, their zealots will follow them, and they’ll gain viewers among the audience for the game they have left for, but if a streamer leaves, it literally impacts the game no more than you or I leaving would. It costs the game the streamers sub in and of itself, and that’s it. If others follow for tangential reasons, as we cover above, it won’t be in enough mass to matter.

Not everyone who plays the game gives a damn what some streamer is doing - many of us don’t even go to Twitch and won’t ever for any reason. We just acknowledge they play the game on easy mode, get a bunch of free times and special privileges we don’t, and move on.

Some will care. Some won’t. I’d argue that weighted against the whole of the playerbase across all servers, a super-majority won’t care. Many won’t even know these peoples names. Especially those outside the servers they play on.

If you just acknowledge they are people, exactly like you and me are individual people, and go and form your own opinions instead of listening to someone else, they instantly lose all influence.

5 Likes

Isn’t this your 3rd topic about some streamer?

1 Like

It absolutely does not matter. Reasons above, and for the record, you can be technologically inclined, NOT live under a rock, and just not go to Twitch. And you can also, like every other human on earth should you choose to excise the ability, be capable of forming your own opinions instead of listening to someone else’s.

One can not watch streamers and not live under a rock at the same time. These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Many of us either don’t know any of these people, or do know they exist, and don’t care because we don’t follow streamer culture. And I’d argue that, again, weighted against the entire WoW Classic TBC population across all servers, the number of people who both follow these people, and will actually care enough to follow them to a new game, is miniscule. A super-majority of players won’t ditch a game they’ve been playing for either 2 years or 15 years depending on your viewpoint just because some lucky 1%er who makes 7 grand a day playing a video game finally cracks, gets bored due to extreme overexposure and having done everything, and leaves.

Don’t get me wrong. Some absolutely will. But not enough for it to matter.

1 Like

Actually no, by definition, I’m completely correct. How you think Influence works based on your post is not actually how influence works. Not in theory, and definitely not in practice in real life. Besides, the game has bigger problems.

And I used “Literally” because it was the correct word to use both in that point in the structure of the sentence, and technically correct, both because of what the word means, and the context of the message I was getting across.

Disregarding liking or disliking streamers, people can literally only enact direct influence over you if you both know for a fact they exist, and care about they have to say.

If you don’t know who Preach or Pshiro or Asmongold exist, then you won’t have heard their opinions, you won’t have processed them, and you won’t have come to the conclusion of whether or not you agree or disagree with those opinions because you never got to here them. Much like how you cannot miss what you’ve never had, one cannot exert influence over people who haven’t heard of your existence or care to hear your opinions to begin with.

If someone chooses, they can in fact opt to come to their own conclusions, and not be influenced in any way by a Streamer. If you don’t interact with that community, nobody in that community holds any influence.

An influencer literally only holds influence within their own direct community, and to those who they both engage with, and within that group, narrowed down even further not to just casual viewers, but zealot-level fans who agree with either the majority or everything they say and do and will go and do whatever that streamer is doing, instead of forming their own opinions.

And for the record, games do not “live and die” based on the opinions of a select number of top-paid streamers on an individual website that, once again, the vast majority of gamers across the world do not visit or interact with these websites, or these people in any way. Yes, many do, but nowhere even remotely approaching a majority for many, many games.

Yes, some games, mostly recently released games, either majorly blew up post-release after a streamer played them like Among Us, or got hyped up Pre-Release by other (or in some cases the same) Streamers.

However, WoW is not like that.

WoW has existed since before Smart Phones even existed, much less Youtube, even less Stream culture. It already has a supremely vast playerbase that has been heavily addicted both habitually and emotionally for a decade and a half. And those players number in ranges far more than any WoW Streamer, almost certainly more than all of them combined if we count by individual viewership.

WoW, especially WoW Classic, is not like Among Us. It isn’t like Fortnite. It won’t live and die based on what streamers want because the game pre-dates these figures by such a huge margin that it already has a vast network of players that will hang on literally forever, until either they die, or the game loses profitability and shuts down.

It will stand regardless of what any WoW Streamer does, or says, especially since again, merely viewing them isn’t the same as agreeing with them - it’s only the subfaction within the already comparatively small groups of players that view them (weighted against the whole of the playerbase) that agrees with everything they say and do and aren’t attached to the game as much as the personality that will actually leave and follow them wherever they go, and a fraction of a fraction of the playerbase leaving will not destroy Classic TBC.

It absolutely is not a huge deal for Blizzard.

What IS a huge deal for Blizzard is the allegations of sexual assault, sexual harassment, employee suicide, and differential compensation for women levied against the company by the State of California.

That absolutely needs to get settled in court, and we need to see executive heads metaphorically roll here. It’s time for new leadership, if the allegations prove true at least.

2 Likes

At this point it’s really just Taliesin and Evitel that are hyping up and funding Blizzard’s legal defense against their female employees by promoting WoW. Because we’re in one of the weird timelines unfortunately.

Everyone else that matters has moved on.

1 Like

Nobody cares.

2 Likes

most of these streamers will probably come back down the road anyway, maybe if there is another content patch or expansion. especially if we have a classic wrath of the lich king

1 Like

Dont know dont care

This must be yet another “wow influencer” I have never heard of.

4 Likes

Lmao I look this guy up its pretty much exclusively retail content. Put this in a different section please and ty.

If Simonize or Sno drop it I could care, they do content that help me to improve my gameplay. Casual players with follower? not so much.

The problem with your analysis is that millions of gamers take their cues from what they see on Twitch.

Influencers have become a big, big deal in the way people consume products whether gaming or anything else in the world.

A bunch of celebrities getting together can create billion dollar brands by putting their names on things and pushing those products onto people.

Apex Legends is a better example of that in gaming than anything; that game came out of nowhere because of streamers on Twitch.

FF 14 having a population explosion right now is also driven by this phenomenon.

And WoW losing players affects those of us left in the game; the economy shrinks, harder to find groups, etc. Of course that’s server specific, but it affects the whole overarching game as well.

1 Like

Don’t use logic, they cant understand it.