PvP Needs Desperate Attention - massive ilvl disparity

Well, we have had systems that have worked. Right now, we have the worst of a number of seasons combined. While WoD PvP gear sucked for PvE, at least it was easy to obtain for PvP and was good in PvP. Gear felt relatively balanced and PvE gear in PvP was pretty uncommon.

I personally don’t know a single decent player that wanted scaling back. It was always busted and not very well explained. Considering near the end of BFA, players were still finding ways to exploit scaling or the ones that found gemming gear actuallllly a decrease in power.

As far as templates go, I’d say the opinion is still divided. I didn’t like them and they killed participation as there was 0 incentive for PvE players to PvP and even PvP’ers had little reason to queue outside of rating.

The best we have had was something like Wrath. They got it right these season by giving us a catch up and making gear matter. Problem is, they need to make more adjustments mid season to account for where ratings are falling. This means either increasing the average rating or reducing the rating requirement for gear. Right now, it’s completely off.

Lastly, an issue that likely has nothing to do with PvP is the disparity in ilvl. While that is the point of the thread, it was likely something that was more driven by PvE then PvP. Disparity in PvE is just as important right now for those players. The problem is just magnified in PvP when you have these huge gaps in rating requirements and trying to push to the next bracket becomes increasingly difficult over the course of the season.

Yea, I would rather have those system if we had to choose between what we have now and those. While I would love for PvE and PvP gear to be essentially the same, Blizzard just isn’t active enough in balance to make it work.

The reason I say that is having two sets of gear makes a barrier between the two types of content. Also, having some incentive for PvE players to PvP is good for the health of the game. Likewise, having some incentive for PvP players to PvE isn’t a bad thing either. Blizzard was happy to say that participation was high this season and I would love it continue to stay that way, but I understand it’s likely to many PvE’ers simply wanting better gear because PvE sources are lacking.

Lots of compounding issues to say the least.

1 Like

Yeah the whole thing’s a mess

i’m not really sure what i’m even hoping will fix things anymore lol

I just want to login and do random bgs without the gear disparity ruining the fun for everyone

1 Like

Totally.

It’s a terrible situation right now. As I have been gearing out this monk, I have taken a few screenshots of dying in under a second. I know I have room to work on my gear, but I might as well have no gear at all. One of the skirmishes I did was against a dk with 42k hp. My partner, like me, only had 30k. It was a 2v1. We should have been able to easily at least… dent hi. Nope. Dude did double our combined damage and double our healing.

It’s like, I get it, we don’t have much gear… but the avenues for getting gear or swarming with people with 38-42k+ health. I can’t imagine being a new player and trying to figure out any of this.

1 Like

Maybe if Blizzard would put an ounce of effort into either system?

Templates weren’t bad, the lack of being able to customize our stats was.
The current system wouldn’t be bad, if a 220+ player didn’t feel like 2 players against anyone roughly 205 or below.

Whatever the case may be, the players that like stomping their opponents due to better gear obviously outnumber the “make PvP fair” players - or Blizzard wouldn’t have listened to popular demand and made gear matter again/removed scaling/etc.

I was just pointing out how the community has been flip-flopping on itself in recent years/doesn’t seem to know what it wants.

Well, I don’t know if that’s fair though. The community hasn’t been asking for extreme changes from season to season. WoD and MoP were great and I can’t recall anyone making any complaints about it. MoP was easily the most fun I have ever had in PvP and never gave a thought to gear for even a second. So how is that on the community when they moved away from that system?

Most of us realize that if there is no gear incentive in PvP, then people simply don’t play. This is an MMO before anything and making gear matter is important. Problem is, when it’s too important, then it takes away from the experience as much as if gear didn’t matter at all.

For myself, I want gear to matter, but I also want it to be relatively fair as well. Stomping on undergeared players can be kind of fun and it’s actually decent incentive to get gear in the first place. But when that gap is to large is the problem and that’s what we have now.

This season could have been great had they lowered the rating requirement and reduced the cost to more better reflect where we are at. It’s clear ratings are massively deflated, yet blizzard hasn’t changed the rating requirement and their ‘buff’ to ratings did literally nothing to increase the average rating in rated PvP.

Remove rated pvp req for upgrades. Let people upgrade to 226. Just make it take a long time. Boom. Solved.

The idea behind scaling was fine. The implementation was awful.

They should just have standardized pvp sets and stats for pvp and make all pvp use that gear. They could even let you choose race. For maximum balance.

If they want it to be an esport, it needs to be that way. There is a reason they do it this way on tourney realms.

Well if you knew anything or looked. You would see that was early season when I have very low Ilvl and feral/resto druid unless 220 Ilvl wasn’t doing so well. Main spec is bear lol. Actually I haven’t went back to even that out this season yet since I’ve been leveling other characters and putting more focus into RBGs. If I’m going to arena, I’ll play my paladin or DH. Or heal on a healer that can actually arena heal. You’d oom in resto before a Hpal or Shaman used 10% of their mana pool in a 5 min match. I’m pretty well rounded and would honestly one shot that crappy monk of yours lol. Im in the top 4.3% in RBGs. You’ve only been doing randoms. No wonder you think it takes so long to gear and get honor. You get 1200+ honor per match win in RBGs. 200+ for a loss. I only play rated. Was playing rated at 160 Ilvl. That crappy monk of yours I’d have into yolo RBG groups to easily gear to 207-213 in a single weekend.

:man_facepalming:

Ion shouldn’t be in charge of anything. He’s screwed up PVP for years.

1 Like

Dude… You’re giving Blizzard a cop out. We’ve been asking them for wod gearing since they gave us the garbage that was legion. Yes we are going to constantly complain when they do the exact opposite of what we tell them. Then they go and give us “wod like” gearing to make us happy? But then they ignore the actual aspects of wod gearing that we’ve explained we wanted and gave us the one part making it worse.

There’s no confusion with Blizzard. There’s only blatant ignorance. Clearly none of them PvP and what makes it worse is they don’t actually listen to pvpers.

3 Likes

wtf lol /10char

2 Likes

I’ve gotten 4 characters - including a MW monk which is apparently in the top 1% of MW’s in RBGs if you’re gonna try to toot that horn at 1800 - to 1800+ just playing casually with friends.

It takes too long.
I’m missing slots because of how much conquest and honor are required, and because it’s just obnoxious, I haven’t kept going. I got my sets already, and with the state of the cosmetics, there’s no point in going further outside honor farming for prestige. (…which my MW is pretty much now regulated to, gear or not.)

Granted, I got there in like, 40-50 games at 200 ilevel, so there’s a long way to go from that, but oops, this is PvP.
People just want to hop in and do PvP. They don’t want to spend a month gearing. WoD you could do it in a weekend once catch up was implemented, and that’s what people are asking for.
These artificial grinds - longer than anything in the modern state of the game ever - are driving people away.

but muh 4% epeen or something.

1 Like

It was, not so much anymore. The reason? The same reason OP made this thread, unless you’re getting boosted I mean… you could make your own groups but everyone knows how to lead and if you’re doing Yolos you aren’t making it anywhere meaningful lol.

I was happy when they announced the pvp system was going back to WoD system in 9.1, but it really isn’t.

If we could have only 2 set of pvp gear, honor and conquest, with conquest gear scaling to Mythic raid item lvl in pvp situations; pvp gearing will be fixed. Players could grind honor in arena, RBGs and random BGs. With rated pvp being the fastest route.

Let rating reward cosmetics (titles/mounts/tints/ etc). No one should feel forced to do rated pvp to enjoy random battlegrounds and word pvp, which are both casual content.

2 Likes

I don’t know what the climb looks like now, but I just did yolos until like 1k and then signed up for 1k groups and then tried to join groups that were close to my cr. They weren’t really starting to use disc until around 1400ish.

Just look at the end result of the current design. People are buying boosts, some do it by farming gold, others by buying tokens. Either way, PVP is pay2win now, simple as that. I would venture that it is the intended design as the company gets more money from the gamers this way, shareholders are happy and they get to keep their jobs. It is not about providing a good gaming experience anymore. They had a perfect system in WoD, they don’t use it because they don’t want to. Simple as that. Look at the fruits, that you’ll know the tree. If good pvp’ers would just refuse to participate in this ridiculous design, that would change things. But there is no unity in people, thus they keep getting taken advantage of, over, and over again. That goes for life too.

1 Like

I will go out of my way to avoid battlegrounds this XP.

1 Like

a 13 ilvl difference between honor and conquest sets were fine for a very long time, best arena players used to have a larger conquest points pool and it was fine, but somehow someway, some dev tought the system had to change and we are stuck with one hell of crap system that makes any kind of pvp really really really miserable