#PullTheRipcord

Yes. That’s what we’ve been asking for. That’s what we’ve been tweeting to the devs about.

The whole #pulltheripcord movement came too late.

Now you get to be punished. It’s not complicated.

I never said it was a good thing. I said it’s what many of us value with the current systems and associated restrictions.

I don’t know in my 53 years I have never met anyone in real life that finds so much enjoyment in people suffering as people like Crimson , Ralph and others do .

Is this some kind of younger generation thing ? Because most adults I know don’t think this way .

I thought the thing about RPG’s was having choices, and consequences to your choices. Sounds like to me the ones that want to pull the ripcord would be better off playing a game without choices… Just my two cents.

I don’t see it as a copout. Because I don’t forsee World of Warcraft being taken down the same way that Runescape is still up and running. Buuuut is it still a strong contender compared to the other MMOs? Not really. But it’s still there and they’re still doing content for the game.

So I have the same mentality, is WoW going to skyrocket again all the way to 12 million subs? More than likely not. And I believe it’s a pipe dream to think that will ever be the case.

Hence comes Classic. A game experience where players try to relive how it was in ye olden days. And within that same experience you have a ton of players who put Ret Paladins on the backburned shearly because they’re not Warriors or Rogues. A great place to check this being true is WarcraftLogs. Lets take a look at the numbers for AQ.

Warrior: 2,545,010

Rogue: 2,267,298

Ret Paladin: 28,976

Yikes. That’s a staggering difference. And this is in a game where you could take an entire melee line of paladins and more than likely still clear the raids just fine and this is what the playerbase does. So creating content that plays against what is now the WoW playerbase in 2020 is a great way to cause mass unsubs to continue.

That actually fits perfectly if you think about it.

“WOW! That was an amazing expansion! God I love Blizzard! I can’t wait to see what happens next? Oh what Deathwing? Oh hey that’s interesting! Lets see how the xpac plays out”

The way WoW grew led players to believe that the game would continue on its trend for glory and players kept being loyal to the game hoping that the feeling they did in Wrath would return in Cataclysm. And again keep in mind that WoW still had literally no competition in the MMO market. So WoW was essentially it for a lot of people.

If anything, the WoW playerbase is hands down one of the most loyal playerbases I have ever seen. If any of the other MMOs did a fraction of what WoW has done it would’ve met the same fate as Wildstar.

coughs up drink

I’m sorry. But if you think Mythic Kil’jaeden, Gul’dan, G’huun, U’unat, Azshara or plenty of other recent boss encounters could be cleared just as “easily” by the Cataclysm playerbase then you’re insane.

In a singleplayer RPG, that makes sense.

That however does not work with an MMO if player power is tied to said decision. Specifically unique player power based per Class. The Signature abilities are perfectly fine.

As there is more of a chance of 4 unique abilities being balanced, compared to 48 unique abilities. Simple math.

2 Likes

player power has always been tied to said decision. remember classic with the talent trees and the optimum talent build? Don’t see the big deal.

Okay and? That’s Classic, that was 15 -16 years ago.

1 Like

Just proving it’s part of Mmo’s even since the beginning.

If I wanted a game without choices then I would’ve celebrated the Legion PvP template system where the choices I make gearwise makes little to no difference. But I hated that. Choices are fine. Restrictions and punishments for said choice are not.

2 Likes

You’re ignoring that changing said talents was just a quick trip to the class trainer.

1 Like

This isn’t Vanilla or Classic .

1 Like

Yeah and homogenization sounds super fun. Come play shadowlands where every covenant is the same! Wooo!

And even back you could change your talent trees with just a gold cost.

And, there are still costs and punishments in the game. I choose to play Glacial Spike and with an Elemental even though Lonely Winter and Thermal Void is outperforming it by a decent margin. Why on earth should there be yet another system to compound that difference and punish me more for playing how I want?

That’s not what we’re saying either… :laughing:

But okay.

No one said anything about homogenization.

Just make the Class specific abilites, a level 60 talent row and literally that fixes it. Super simple! Covenants can go back to being a permament decision. Everybody wins!

2 Likes

Combining player power with RP is good for NEW games. Not good for old game’s with old sadistic judgmental players who enjoy being the mean kid choosing their dodgeball squad. For older games this is not so good a trick it simply ends up giving everyone a headace.

1 Like

I want you to tell me what expansion had this level of restrictions that was celebrated by the playerbase.

1 Like

That’s hyperbole and you know it.

Show me where the system actively prevents you from doing either activity with your character. What you mean to say is that you don’t like being mildly sub-optimal in a given content. But this actually did exist in Wrath, you just didn’t notice it.

Recall in Wrath that you could only have 2 specs active at a time (you had to save the gold to buy dual spec). And respecs costed an increasing amount of gold that cooled down over time. The amount of gold for us is small (I think it capped at 50?) but when you were getting like 6-7 gold per daily, it was a lot. You sure as hell weren’t swapping 5+ times a day unless you were a massive AH tycoon.

So what did you do? You built “jack of all trades” specs that did well enough in everything, and had two specs (maybe a raid / PvP spec). Or you had a spec for two roles (Arms / Prot). Or you were insane like I was and had two tanking specs (Blood/Frost) on my DK and two Arms specs on my warrior.

Because I used two specs to min/max a particular spec or role for a particular kind of content, I got massive mathematical bonuses from doing it. No one batted an eye. The average cookie cutter Arms warrior didn’t whine about being “sub-optimal” because my single target focused Arms spec stomped him on single target fights, and ditto for AoE. They asked how I did it, I explained it, they said “ah that’s cool, I prefer to have a tank offspec” and that was the end of it.

It was always there, it was just so buried in min/maxing talents that most people just didn’t care.

Yeah you are. Make alts. This is literally more content for people who don’t like to raid, to encourage them to make more characters and play longer. I feel like it’s impossible for Blizzard to please people sometimes.

You… do know that only one faction can be a paladin right? You do also know that you’re comparing a single spec, of a single class, with two other classes? How much more blatantly dishonest can you be exactly?

Wait, what? People told Blizzard why they were unsubbing. On the forums. In response to the “Wow, dungeons are hard!” blog. I was literally there. Just stop.

Rift and Star Wars The Old Republic came out in 2011. The question isn’t why did people who wanted to play MMO’s start playing WoW’s competition. The question is why they ended up quitting WoW. Now I can just not believe my lying eyes and the data that existed for the first two months of Cataclysm and suppose some mysterious “boredom” was the culprit, or I could just use my senses and watch servers get hollowed out in real time as raid guilds fell apart on the very first tier of raids.

No that’s literally not what I said. I said that “most players”, not “mythic players” haven’t gotten better. Which is why as they make raids more complex, they keep having to invent pre normal raid difficulties (Flex / LFR) to justify their continued development, and I expect more such difficulties. What part of my explicit comment about pre-normal raid difficulties made you think I was talking about mythic?

2 Likes

Exactly, and I get to laugh as those new game get optimized and only players doing challenges even attempt to play the punishing ways.

2 Likes

We don’t want them the same. We just want the class abilities as talents.

Most want to be loyal to a covenant . The signature abilities give them meaning .

Heck make all of the soul binds from a single covenant work with all of the covenant class abilities that a persons class has . Let people earn those abilities and give them ranks so that if they want a more powerful version they have to grind rep for them .

Right there you have a system that gives people the ability to change how they want and still ties player power to covenants in some form .

I have seen more compromise from the ripcord crowd then from the anti ripcord crowd.

4 Likes

And you say I’m being hyperbolic, whoo boy. I remember WotLK just fine. I took my raid spec into PvP, amd wasn’t at that huge of a disadvantage compared to what’s going to happen in SL. As there is now on Beta, Necrolord compared to Venthyr is a huge difference in PvP capability.

4 Likes