#PullTheRipcord

Its only as shallow and meaningless as you make it.

1 Like

It’s one of those shallow choices people in control pull on you.

Like your boss asking you if you want to stay late to finish the big project.

It his mind it’s a choice. In your mind it’s really not, cause if you say no it comes with a heap load of strings that could damage your future.

2 Likes

You’ll be able to DPS with all the covenants. Groups that would reject you based on covenant choice aren’t worth joining anyway. Find some decent people to play with instead, especially a guild.

Nope, its meaningless when you are the only one sticking with a covenant. No one cares that you are, they just look at you weird.

Its only as meaningless as you make it.

There is no choice when we can just pick all of them.

Sometimes ice cream is better with just sprinkles. Reminds me of the kids who load theirs with literally every topping choice. Just ends up a disgusting mess.

That’s why we want covenants to be locked. So we have a meaningful choice when the player powers are detached.

When you can add more, better toppings to it, not really.

1 Like

I want them locked with player power, for a more meaningful choice.

That just take away from the meaning because I’m effectively locked out of three options when deciding for player power because one of them is just so much better than the rest. For me, there’s no meaning in picking the highest value option. If that has meaning to you, then good for you.

This. If they made covenants easily swappable, players’ choices would still be as meaningful as they made it.

Role-players have already expressed how they don’t like the restrictions even though they don’t plan on switching. This is because they make that choice meaningful to themselves.

1 Like

Where is the pride for your covenant if the other guy can just join your club and come and go when the mood strikes them?

Me remaining in my covenant when the ability to change is readily available.

Which we don’t want to happen. We want covenants to remain permanent while the player powers are seperate.

1 Like

And that kills the pride of covenants. I want two people of different covenants of the same classes and specs to go head to head with different powers to prove who is better. I want covenants to be more than just a mount and transmog I’m not even gonna use.

It’s shallow and meaningless now. Instead of picking the covenant that people identify with, connect with, and want to represent, we pick the covenant that the devs balanced the highest, have no connection with that covenant, and change it based on balance ongoing. The sense of connection to the covenant doesn’t exist, where it otherwise could if it was divorced from player power (while still entirely not affecting people who don’t care about player power).

You have the situation entirely back to front if you think the current system encourages meaningful choice; it doesn’t. It removes choice altogether. Your choice, rather than “which covenant do I want to commit to” is “do I care about player power or not”.

3 Likes

The pride comes from the player.

People can join/leave religions however/whenever they want - that doesn’t impact the pride of those who choose to stay.

People can leave relationships or partake in polyamorous relationships - that doesn’t impact the pride of those who choose to stay committed in monogamous relationships.

As a casual/RP player - I don’t need everyone else to be restricted to stay in their covenant in order for me to get the RP value of being loyal to one.

Restricting players actually devalues the idea of “pride”/“loyalty” because then people aren’t staying because they WANT to, but because they’re RESTRICTED.

And then at the same time, this:

The restrictions push a lot of players into choosing for performance and what some algorithms tell them to choose, instead of something worth being “proud” of. This ends up fueling the meta mentality.

As a fan of role-playing I personally WISH our choice of covenant had meaning to it. But sadly, the restrictions actually take much of the meaning away and end up watering down the system as a whole.

6 Likes

So you really didn’t have much pride to begin with.

You’d see this more if the player powers WEREN’T covenant locked.

That’s all they are ever going to be.

No, you’re not winning one for the Venthyr team if you’re just gonna change to Kyrian on raid nights.

Fortunately that is not true. The ripcord is not being pulled.

I want to join a covenant because I WANT to. Not because the numbers that Blizzard has plugged in have chosen for me.

Yes I can chose to not follow the numbers that BLIZZARD has set forth. And I can also not show up to work for a week…let’s see how that works. Because you know…it’s a choice and all.

Let’s keep focusing on “choices” and ignoring the linked punishments in the corner over there.

6 Likes

Again, we want the covenants to be a permanent choice to prevent this swapping. We want the abilities to be changeable. That way you can pick whatever ability you want to have fun with while being in the covenant you want. This way you can have venthyr warlocks competing with night fae warlocks to see who is better.

Oh, it 100% is.

2 Likes

So do it. I am. Can’t tell you if night fae is good for warlocks but I like that covenant so I will pick it.

You completely misunderstand the point.

If player power was separated from covenant, covenants could be entirely locked in at choice time and your representation would be locked to that covenant. BECAUSE player power is tied to the covenant, and BECUASE Blizzard knows they simply cannot balance the abilities, they have to include an option to switch covenants, which people already expect to use many times through the expansion due to balance change.

If covenants were not tied to player power, there would be more meaningful decision making and more commitment to covenants than there is now.

1 Like