#PullTheRipcord

I had this conversation in another thread. The way the abilities are designed, it’s almost impossible. There are very few instances where covenants are good for all specs, and even less that one covenant is good for an entire class. So you run in to the problem of if you nerf an ability because it’s strong for one spec, it makes a covenant that is already bad for the other spec, even worse, and vice versa.

3 Likes

So they won’t buff the one that’s already worse?

I don’t think you understand. If Kyrian is by far the strongest covenant for Prot Pally, but by far the worst for Ret Pally, if they buff or nerf the Paladin Kyrian ability, it just widens the gap of either being over the top good or over the top bad.

On a scale of 1 to 10, rank the Covenant abilities for each Paladin spec

Let’s put it this way. Some abilities are designed to shine in certain moments. If you buff that moment you run into the problem that people can take heavy advantage of it and it becomes way stronger than abilities that are just decent and okay and work all the time.

It’s more complicated than buff and nerf them.

Like I said, for me the kyrian ability of dks to be on par of other abiltiies would need to oneshot the mob it target.

What is more to happen is they will nerf them, so all their damage won’t matter. Then the strongest utility will win xd The abilities are too strong and overloaded (meaning they do too much things at the same time). The main design of a lot of them is just broken. It should have been some smaller stuff or something that are basicly re-skin or very close.

I suggest reading the feedback here:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/covenants-and-your-spec-a-survey/616438

Can’t wait to pay money for an expansion people have already decided we should just survive through.

#PullTheRipcord

Reading that thread is such a good time, almost all the specs have 1 or 2 dead covenant abilities that will never be useful.

So meaningful!

1 Like

All we can really hope for is a t-shirt after the fact. My fingers are crossed.

• From the Venthyr side of things - Swarming mist is also very appealing and I think in the current state of things re M+ gets beaten out by Deaths Due. This is of course until deaths due gets nerfed and then Venthyr probably takes first place. Door of Shadows is again a good answer to our mobility issues which is again why our “choices” come down to these 2 covenants.

Nobody has faith in Blizzard lol

Yeah I don’t even know how you balance it either. Like a dead covenant for one spec is the best for another spec for the same class. What do you even do?

Well, I have a solution to offer. I think there are some people who won’t like it though.

They would have to make every ability effectively do the same kind of thing. You have classes where the abilities are simply too different to compare, an actual apples to oranges problem.

For example death knight gets Kyrian=pure single target scaling will only increase single target damage/mitigation
Venthyr=aoe+runic power generation mostly taken for rp gen and therefore will never be the pick for unholy unless it also just outdamages everything
Necrolord=utility for when deathgrip and gorefiends simply isn’t enough. Damage would have to be ridiculously overtuned to be taken for damage.
Nightfae=15% strength/dr all the time for blood and kinda unholy.

In comparison shamans get 4 flavors of do damage and heal or heal and do damage. Which is probably ideal on the covenant scaling side of things but event then it has cases where elemental or enhancement have clear winners.

Kyrian=generally good damage and healing. Positioning makes wonky for pvp
Venthyr=damage and healing based on tuning pushes stacking crit which will not mesh if lava burst becomes meta.
Necrolord=damage for damage and healing for healing also creates combos for all three but the enhancement combo requires alot of work for little reward.
Nightfae=low damage converted to low healing. 3 second channel with shorter range that no shaman wants to deal with.

So basically even if the abilities are redesigned to do the same general things the flaw is that you end up doing different things and different content WILL reward some of these things and punish others. And thats just the case for covenants that generally do the same thing because many of them are pretty out there in their function.

Yeah like Monk right now is all over the place. Venthyr is by far the best for Wind and by far the worst for Brew. Kyrian is by far the best for MW but by far the worst for Wind. Night Fae is by far the best for Brew but worst or 2nd worst for Wind and MW.

What a mess.

1 Like

Are the monk things actually working on beta now? They weren’t for awhile.

If they don’t get a blue response on their feedback thread soon the five remaining monks might end it all.

1 Like

Brew is alright. WW stuff is pretty much all bugged. I think they have 1 legendary that isn’t bugged. MW has some stuff that is bugged still but better than a few weeks ago.

I read most of those suggestions Loryss, I still think they are able to balance them. Just have faith.

What has Blizzard done recently (in retail) that inspired faith?

1 Like

Ruin the game.

Then why are you still playing their games if you are historically unhappy with their design choices? Are you a masochist?