#PullTheRipcord The covenant class abilities must be untied to the covenant choice

It’s quite funny judging from your talents that you have no interest in playing the best version of your class. Why are you so upset about people wanting to be the best versions of themselves?

Jealousy?

You can refer to my first post (the first answer to this thread). Covenants still holds a lot of weight even without the class abilities.

This is the crux of the issue really:

Devs are saying choices should be hard to make and have lasting consequences.
Some of the playerbase is saying “no I like making the right choice and want to have everything optimised for the content I am doing”.

Personally I would like a more classic-esque style where choices do have lasting consequences by keeping abilities thematically locked to their covenants. It does require the Devs be able to balance the full toolkit of covenants which they clearly (and historically) cant.

You do raise a very good point though that balance changes post live would be devastating, it simply is not possible to make a meaningful, long lasting choice with sliding goalposts.

1 Like

Insult time I see. Heh I guess I struck a nerve. It is easy to play your class well. It is easy to copy whatever mathematical build is the best for X situation. Anyone can look up what they ‘should’ be doing and do it. That is why so many players are stuck in the middle. You have your world first group who can spend an infinite amount of time in WoW and are very experienced and then you have just about everyone else. Almost everyone can play in the category you appear to be playing in. It is all about if they want to or not. You seem to take a lot of pride in what you achieve on here. That is good. What others think of you should not matter.

Let’s not forget the people this tier who blew millions of gold (Literally, millions) on Infinite stars pieces first, then it got nerfed. Then people stocked up on Echoing Void pieces, then it got nerfed. Then Ineffable Truth (Monks) and it got nerfed, then Twilight Dev.

Anyone who played this patch should be terrified of the proposed system.

Actually i was just pointing out almost all your talents are wrong and your healing would be an objectively weaker version of a priest who had the right talents.

cringe ugh

Today’s interview the blizzard guy did raise a good point in saying that the Conduits could be used as a balance tool to make covenants overall the same. The example he used was essentially: If the Warlock Kyrian ability is heavily single target focused, they could add conduits that provides strong AoE benefit, and so on for the other covenants.

Looks okay in theory, you still don’t get the fun of swapping abilities and making use of them, but at least everything is balanced, right?

I’ve absolutely no hope they can pull this off though. Would save their own time to just unlock the class spells and move on from there.

1 Like

That would be IF I was actually doing any content currently though or if I am just running old stuff atm solo. Also I can change my talents on the go too. I will use what Blizzard lets me use. I just prefer for some more old school meaningful choices.

Luckily there is classic for you to go back to and you can be with great company talking about how this is the glory days of talents!

Ya I mess with classic but I did it all before and honestly thought right now the time investment is minimal… come Naxxramas I do not wish to spend my entire week farming for my consumables again. Once long ago was enough.

The guy did also say they are now just trying to throw everything up for testing so if those don’t work they can fully redesign the system early before it gets completely out of control. Which is good getting all the soulbinds conduits and legendaries up and running and testing in all the areas of the game can give them a clear way to either balance or just redesign it and atleast they do aknowledge and know the possible pitfalls of them not getting it right.

I’m not alone I suppose. I’ve listed a few names - but there’s definitely more out there on the forums speaking in support of the system. We all have the same common denominator for why we value the system and don’t want it changed.

Yes, because you are very jealous and jaded people. I think that’s been established very clearly in this thread.

Didn’t you literally say you want to keep it that way so people suffer or some super cringe stuff?

Yep, you actually did. Oof

2 Likes

Yeah if you’re a bad player you do that certainly. Most specs will enter a dungeon and change what they’re using, if they’re good. I change essences almost every dungeon and talents for half. Depends on the dps I’m running with, what affixes, what dungeon… I’m also changing my trinkets almost every dungeon.

Smells of choice to me

That doesn’t smell of choice to me. There’s no decision to be made if the math is already out and everyone does the same thing.

1 Like

Yeah this is precisely what I had in mind.
I took long breaks in MOP and WOD, returning towards the last tiers in both xpacs. I think it was Ghostcrawler that used to use the expression about not wanting to give players whiplash when reading all the changes when they come back.
Ion doesn’t seem to follow those rules both legion and BFA had massive balance changes while a patch/tier is going on. I don’t know if thats just because development timelines have been shorted so much but I would like balance to remain constant for the duration of a tier (even if that means intentionally cycling the FOTM around to give all specs/players their time to shine from tier to tier).

Just because you don’t experience it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

I swap talents/essences/trinkets on a regular basis in our 12/12m heavy farm, with buyers even.

1 Like

Well right now the dev’s are favoring us over players like you that want to play freely. So I guess we’re on the same side as the devs.

If you have a problem with the game and it’s systems, you can always play another game.

Or I guess just keep paying Blizzard for a game with needlessly punitive systems - which I hope you do.

Actually there is, you can make the mathematical right choice and feel good about it. Blue change the math when it suits them though… see corruption changes.

There it is, he’s actually busted out the “I’m out of ideas to defend my position” card. This early too? Yikes!