Pulling the ripcord is too late but why not keep this instead

Now its obviously too late since SL is already out and we are playing it and enjoying ourselves but the obvious problem will forever be here and I don’t understand why.

Why can’t we just use all of the covenant abilities that we are granted while leveling? Why not keep an old system and renew it for SL to make this work?

Since the beginning I’ve been saying that the Essence system is a cool system and that might be a really hottake. However, I feel that the Essence system is a perfect system for SL covenant abilites!

Here’s why:
The Heart of Azeroth has 4 slots = 4 covenants and abilities
1 main slot for an active ability and 3 for supporting ones (perfect for the covenants)
Why didn’t they just keep this system to allow people to pick a covenant purely on how much they liked their aesthetic/ lore/ transmog etc.

I think just implementing an already existing system into the expansion would’ve been the easiest choice of them all and one I think more people would agree with. They could’ve just brought in the Heart of Azeroth and added some lore or w/e that made it so that we got a material in the maw to reprogram it and allow us to gain power with it in SL, therefore, powering us up with the covenant abilities we gained in the leveling experience.

This would allow us to switch our main covenant abilities and have the others support the main ability in the middle. Whether it is a stacking boost or just a damage/healing proc just like essences did in BFA. This way more people would pick based on how much they actually liked the faction and not on how much stronger that faction’s ability is. There will obviously always be a meta and the conduits will forever make the most hardcore players pick based on that but at least this would’ve allowed more people to feel like there isn’t a wrong choice.

2 Likes

You’re thinking too logically. Our friends at Blizzard like to pick a design direction and blindly double down on it until it crashes and burns (every time) or succeeds (has yet to happen). Lots of feedback/ideas were given and promptly ignored during the alpha/beta cycle.

We can only hope that they’ll keep their Frankenstein’s monster in check at least with proper tuning.

SL is a great expansion aside from power associated with covenants and the lack of time allotted for class design/fixes.

4 Likes