PSA: Players new to vanilla - Murlocs WILL kill you!

From Jan '06 a post on classic wowhead:

Ah…the Defias Pillager. You think to yourself “This guy is a pushover”. Well, on any given day, this guy kills more players than almost any mob in Warcraft.

Recently a warcraft employee posted the top 10 list for biggest player killing mobs:

1. Vaelastrasz the Corrupt
  2. Defias Pillager
  3. Stormpike Bowman
  4. Korrak the Bloodrager
  5. Ancient Core Hound
  6. Gadgetzan Bruiser
  7. Defias Trapper
  8. Cat
  9. Stormpike Guardsman
  10. Blackwing Legionnaire

That’s right, the only one to beat out the Pillager: A friggin mob from BWL.

So perhaps you should rethink charging this guy :slight_smile:

Speaking of Murlocs, I can recall many deaths near the ones in the Wetlands by the Ghost ship.

2 Likes

I remember trying to outrun the fireballs, knowing it was going to hit for more than your HP left.

Not a simple mob. It is the second boss.

1 Like

I don’t know when it was changed, but I distinctly remember in vanilla that lots of mobs used to run away when you got them low on health. They would then aggro the entire nearby camp and you would die (at least I would being a mage).

2 Likes

Alliance players have to be told: There is never only one murloc.

They are bads, let them die.

Troggs are just as bad!

Loc Modan is death trap.

2 Likes

The murloc quests in Elwynn Forest were always difficult for me but I felt a sad nostalgia for them as WoW progressed through the expansions and all mobs became less dangerous. Being killed by an avalanche of murloc’s because I forgot to stop them from running was a big moment for me during the launch test. I’m looking forward to more experiences like that after launch :smile:.

1 Like

I think this is one of the biggest differences between vanilla and the later versions of retail. Especially bad when the mob running away blocks your killing blow and aggros other mobs that rally and kill you.

Yeah I experienced this in the stress test and caught me by surprise its been so long. “wait, where are you going, i’m melee!!!”

Compared with bad Murlocs, orcs in the fort at Redridge were my nightmare, as a prot warrior wielding a lvl 11 green sword.

So murlocs give me nightmares. I admit that. But in Gnomeragan when those Mechanonstriders run and grab 20 of their friends…good night sweet prince.

2 Likes

oh the hogger… THE HOGGER!

4 Likes

You learn early on to travel by road to stay safe. UNTIL running up the road in Redridge and those 2 or 3 orcs hiding behind the tree next to the road roflstomp you. On my first pally I remember having to rez so many corpses right there by the trees.

Listen to this humanitarian. He has your best interests at heart, people!

For you players that came in with Cata and later, and have read through this thread - WE ARE NOT KIDDING!! Learn from our mistakes and have fun with a great game.

2 Likes

Just ask Senjin.

Save your CC for when they start to run :wink:

Murlocs are not funny they are not cute. Forget the cute widdle murlocs in wrath, remember the baby ones? D’awwwww.

No, they grow up to be monsters. Exterminate.

2 Likes

Murlocs are easy. I used to grind them just because there’s so many.