PSA: Kiting as a tank is necessary in m+

It’s not optional unless you’re very over geared for the content you’re doing. It’s part of playing a tank, it’s part of the skill of playing a tank. You’re not an unstoppable bulwark, immovable wall of immortality. K I T E.

19 Likes

https://media.giphy.com/media/lRRjGTRlFwmQYFmmpU/giphy.gif

18 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/lal5DEE.jpg

32 Likes

DH can do that… buuuut a lot of classes cant effectively do it without group help… its not just a tank problem.

9 Likes

The other half is incredible violence.

2 Likes

https://www.wowhead.com/spell=335214/leaper

Sites say this power is completely useless, but it is incredibly fun and powerful for kiting.

2 Likes

Coordinating with your group so that they’re using CC at the proper time is HUGE. Can’t stress this enough

3 Likes

Good as long as you don’t have melee dps. You waste more time by losing damage.

1 Like

Eh, another reason I’m not a fan of high mythic+ Point of a tank is to tank, focus damage on one target to make the job easier, and lead the charge. Not smack some stuff and run away. Personal opinion of course. :woman_shrugging:

28 Likes

This is correct. The problem is the design changes that came with the removal of the AoE cap.

With the AoE cap in place every single mob has to offer something uniquely challenging. This makes standing and fighting extremely difficult until you outgear the content… and even then sometimes you just can’t. Otherwise people would just roll through the dungeons.

2 Likes

that doesn’t sound like a “tank” role. Time to rename it. Matador or something

19 Likes

Kiting is dumb.
At that point I might as well just be a dps that accidentally pulled aggro.

39 Likes

Which is why melee DPS can’t get invited lmao

The thing that you’re telling people they’re not is called “a tank”.

I’m not against tanks having to sidestep mechanics or something, but when they’re running from melee swings, they have ceased to be a tank and are not fulfilling the class/spec fantasy of tanking.

(Ordinary melee swings, I mean. “This guy temporarily does triple damage and has half move speed” is a mechanic and it’s OK if not overused.)

33 Likes

Yeeeeeah but wars lack the ability to hold agro from a distance

3 Likes

Even DH needs help…

Then you’re doing it wrong. You don’t have to be in the enemy’s face to kite long enough for stacks to drop off or move it to a special location. A simple “hey I have to jump away for a second” should be enough for your dps to stop padding meters.

I think there is more of a kite meta now than there was even in Legion where it was so out of hand (according to Devs) that they had to nerf tank threat into the ground to stop it. The big difference? In Legion you could stand in if you wanted with minimal kiting. The kite meta there was at the very high end.

It’s much more necessary now in SL, at lower key levels which is too bad because I find it to be a degenerative and unfun way of clearing a dungeon. Can’t wait for later in the season when we have more gear and go to a more traditional pull style at 15s and below.

8 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.

Having to run away like a sissy because I will get deleted by a melee attack doesn’t make me feel like a tank

Edit:
Didn’t mean to reply just yet.

As a bear main I can generally stand there for a bit, since kiting is not exactly a bear’s strong suit.
So when a bear… a snarling, hard to kill, rip you apart kind of beast… has to run away like a whipped puppy it’s pretty shameful imo.

11 Likes

It’s also the first expansion that I have no interest in tanking. Funny that.

7 Likes