PSA: Flagging is NOT the replacement for downvotes!

A few people have asked for evidence of this stuff happening, which is why we have been pointing them out. Thus far, it hasn’t been an issue in here. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Whoops. I’m dumb. Sorry, ignore me!

LOL you’re fine! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Yes, it is; we can scroll up and read, dear. so should you.

If nobody agrees with you(and nobody is), then ‘clear’ your statement was not.

sighs
Perhaps, one day, you’ll learn that it is not a personal attack, when you are disagreed with.
nibbles a water biscuit

3 Likes

I’m surprised they’ve even implemented such a system in the first place. It’s far too easy to abuse. Just look what happened to Lydon’s High elf thread a couple of weeks ago. It was constantly getting flag bombed to a point were it was getting locked almost instantly the moment the thread re opened. A playerbase, especially one that can be as toxic as the wow community, should never have this much power on the forums.

3 Likes

The moderators do read the threads that are flagged and will actively take action against anyone purposely using the flagging system as a downvote/censuring tool. They know it isn’t designed for that and do make sure that those that abuse it also end up understanding. They aren’t able to convey to us when they make those decisions though for the same reason we can’t name and shame on our end.

And this system is in its infancy with the WoW players. It’ll require some adjustments over time I’m sure to make it less abusable on our end and easier to review on their end. Introduction to Discourse as forum software is a start. Bornakk acknowledged the issue in a post as well.

1 Like

They have been active on that today, numerous amount of threads that went buried resurfaced again so at-least they’re doing that. I would like to see a change in the system so it doesn’t get automatically buried, instead it just brings about the attention of moderation to act on it.

1 Like

Don’t forgetto mention they should bring back the text box with the option to explain why you flagged it in case it isn’t immediately clear.

Like if the user’s name or guild name is massively inappropriate, it’s still something that should be flagged as it’s being posted with on the forums, and before they had that option but it was removed, and now it’s gone, and without the ability to explain “Oh hey, this person’s name is severely inappropriate” if you get a GM that had a long day and is just down to looking at post content, they might skip it and assume it was a false report.

Then there’s other reasons, like explaining WHY something is harassing, like if someone has been stalking you through multiple threads to harass you. They won’t often check that, but if you have the ability to tell them that, they can indeed verify that and take action.

2 Likes

Agreed. All we can hope for is that they take our concerns under consideration and maybe tweak some of the wording in their coding to try to help this issue.

1 Like

That is a good point! I’m not sure if this system allows for that ability, but no harm in asking!

I think in this case people were flagging as spam as a High Elf topic already exists. I’m not saying I agree with spam flagging it to the point it locks as soon as a MOD unlocks it just pointing out why it may have been flagged in the first place

Oh it’s always a personal attack, trust me.

3 Likes

thank god

there is some hope on the forums at least

and i had to eat a day over this thread but you’re worth it

i liked this post but i forgot to reply to it :frowning:

i didn’t know but it figures. appreciate you as always :kiwi_fruit:

Anything they put in place can/will be abused and misused. It’s part of human DNA to find ways around things.

Same thing happened to me early last year. On appeal, I stated “If I could figure it out myself, I probably would have phrased it differently. If you don’t tell me what specifically was wrong, then you can’t be surprised if it happens again.”

I finally got a straight answer. I wasn’t protesting the action, I just wanted to know what I did that triggered it.

Calling people insufferable is now considered as trolling to some people.

Some really need to go outside.

2 Likes

I feel like this is relevant to bring up again, simply because after the bug of locking threads yesterday, people have begun talking about the flagging issues some more.

Just want to keep this in mind for everyone! :blue_heart:

3 Likes

Once again, let’s keep this in mind, my lovelies.

1 Like

Shouldn’t have removed the down vote feature, they could have left it in place just so we could downvote some of the doo that gets posted here. But hey, this is a place where only positivism, happiness, and rainbow farting unicorns are allowed, no negativity! :man_shrugging:

2 Likes