PSA: flagging is NOT a downvote button

i was really hoping the post would be flagged when i got in.

and it was!

today is a good day.

16 Likes

i honestly hate the flagging system on this board too. 90% of the time your post seems to get flagged if people just disagree with it or dont like a joke you made. its cancer. same goes with reddit and the whole upvote system anyways. its all cancer. the mob should get no say in what other people can say and there should definitely be no automatic way to silence people jsust for disagreeing with them.

1 Like

thats… not what cancel culture is. at all.

3 Likes

its one aspect of it at this point its grown to a cancerous size and is spread to differnt aspects.

1 Like

Aye. This community is awful lol

1 Like

Yeah I got my first inappropriate flag in a long time for a meme.

if moderation isnt capable of fAIRLY determining if a thread is trolling, etc, they really should step down from moderation.
if they cant figure out abuse of the flag system…again…they need to step down.
Too many non trolling, non offensive threads and posts get flag bombed in here.
Those doing it should be the ones being punished.

2 Likes

I never once moderated anything by posting this thread. So apparently you do need to “spell it out,” so that I can tell you how you’re wrong.

I absolutely never told anyone what to do. I explained how the system works and quoted a blue post, then gave the combined feedback of what a bunch of people in the thread that was made a year ago came up with. This thread has existed before and went to over 450 posts. It’s not against any rules.

5 Likes

Personally, I think down vote should be re-added. Its obvious the flag system is abused and used as a down vote replacement.

2 Likes

Meh. If Blizz wants to punish me for it they can go right ahead. Or they can bring back the down vote option.

8 Likes

the one swho did the troll flagging hurt themselves.

Part of the problem is, again, the wording of flaggable options is incredibly ambiguous. Specifically these three - the details of which are heavily open to interpretation and have no clear meaning. Hence why again, moderators ultimately determine whether or not to remove a flagged post.

It’s Inappropriate

This post contains content that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or a violation of our code of conduct.

It’s Trolling

This post is inflammatory, extraneous or upsetting.

It’s Spam

It is not useful or relevant to the current topic.

2 Likes

It’s extra funny because they didn’t even report me on one of the times I am actually trolling, they had to pick a serious comment. lol

Unrelated note, I just watched the Da Vinci Code the other day and I totally know what your name means. :sunglasses:

1 Like

The thread title pretty much reads as “don’t use the flag option in this manner” , is that not telling someone what to do?

7 Likes

I received some small 24 hour vacations for people mass flagging me, even if they are lifted early because I didn’t break any rules. It’s absurd how other people on the forums can find that power over your opinions.

4 Likes

heres some crazy info almost no one reads the EULA code of conduct and so forth nor to alot of people care.

Oh, I dont doubt it. I just think a lot of the complaints about ‘flag abuse’ is overblown nonsense because the reasoning you can flag is so open to interpretation. “its offensive” “its irrelevant” – these all mean different things to different people. If you flag because you found something offensive but someone else doesnt, thats not abusing the flag system.

2 Likes

Clicked on thread, instantly started loling cause its flagged, now everyone at work is looking at me.

That’s on purpose. First, theres an endless number of ways to troll and cause issues on the forum. They cant make a rule for it all or it would end up longer than the games EULA. Second, if it was very specific then players would use that to argue with moderation.

If one wants more meaning than what the flag options describe, it’s a good idea to look at the forum CoC and guidelines, which everyone should read anyway.

Exactly. I think that needs to change.

1 Like