Prot warrior in WOTLK am I doomed?

I’m going to need to tank in my group, there is no doubt in that no one is going to want to play tank so I’ll be the one to do it, I only ever have enjoyed playing prot warrior, I played prot paladin for a bit, wasn’t huge on it, I tried blood dk I found the rotation boring. I’ve always wanted to try out a bear tank, but with WOTLK i wanted to play a warrior but now I found out that prot warrior it TERRIBLE FOR WOTLK!!! and that upset me a ton because now I don’t know what I’m going to play !!! its darn annoying!!! any recommendations on what to do?

Will devs do any tuning in WOTLK to make prot at least a little bit more viable? because it seems like its an F tier do not tank with in any situation, at least thats how youtubers treat it!!!

I don’t know what your source is, but they need to quit smoking crack.

I mained Prot Warrior in WotLK, and it’s fine for doing every single HM/Heroic boss. The only fight that I felt supremely disadvantaged on was Firefighter (HM Mimiron), and that was primarily pre-nerf. We weren’t exactly great for Sindragosa, and perhaps Anub’arak, but I cleared almost every piece of content up until my guild had recruitment issues. Had I joined a better guild prior to ICC I would’ve had more under my belt back then.

4 Likes

I mained a protadin in wotlk, was fine. My cotank was a prot warrior, he was a beast. I got to play one for a bit in dungeons, ICC heroics etc- once you get Def capped, you’re a straight up god.

You were told prot warrior was bad during wrath, for which content?

Some guy named rugsz, he was saying mostly that because of the fact that so many fights in WOTLK are magic damage based especially in ICC in uldur that you’ll just get one shot, his words not mine.

1 Like

For raid youre good. Pugging dungeons in the late game is bad.

Dungeon encounters were very AoE heavy, and DPS were heavy on AoE. Prot didnt have very good tools for that. There will also be many casters, and your DPS might not do a good job of LoS. If your DPS dont hold back till you have good threat, you are going to have a bad time.

That said, you will be one of the few class/spec combos that does well against dks in bgs

I picked up a warrior late in 3.3, never had a problem in heroic 5mans. I do recall I would tab- sunder on packs and kept aggro real well, didn’t really have an issue with aggro pingpong. I can’t recall what about tab-targetting and the gcd back in wrath that made this super smooth and very feasible to snap and keep aggro.

1 Like

This is very much copium.

Objectively, as the only tank that had to tab sunder to hold threat, even if it wasnt bad (which is arguable in 3.3 with dungeonfinder, which we admittedly arent getting) it is still the worst equipped tank for 5man dungeons.

The next expansion immediately addressed warrior’s unique inadequacy by introducing blood and thunder and giving prot thunderclap. Thats because dungeonfinder made it glaringly obvious that warrior was the absolute worst at quickly generating aoe threat. Class design in cata (at launch) also put the burden of threat management on individual DPS, and put a greater emphasis on ccing troublesome mobs… in response to wrath dps habits and the effect on warrior tanks.

DKs are not going to worry about AoE threat generation. They dont need every dps to remember to LoS the casters (deathgrip). Since everyone is going to be a DK, and every DK can tank, people are going to develop the same habits they had in Wrath. If a DK, or Paladin or Feral Druid don’t manage to get threat quickly, they arent going to be starved for rage. Unless you have a guild that you run with exclusively, the extra challenges unique to warrior are going to be a significant downside.

Just because we are warriors, and we always adapt and overcome, that doesn’t mean that warriors weren’t under-equipped in wrath.

1 Like

I tanked in Wrath with all 3 plate classes and i ended up with warrior to MT/OT because i love the mobility with war-bringer talent. You get to bounce around like a ping pong. I shared tanking duties with a paladin friend in raids.

Your going to be spamming a lot of thunder clap and demo shout for aoe. Pull groups and LOS them so they group up and then land good shockwaves. Sunder is also nice since rogues won’t need to expose armor and will love you for it. Gem and enchant for Stam. Stance dance when you need to. I’m sure am forgetting other stuff.

You can do it with a warrior tank, its just you’re going to need to put in more work vs the other tanks.

1 Like

What will be interesting is to see if after 12 years of Dungeonfinder, will pug groups be less toxic (even without dungeonfinder). Are all ypur DPS going to unleash spam AoE with zero regard for threat, before you can group up the mobs, shockwave, thunderclap, cleave (with glyph of cleaving for the extra 1 mob bringing it to 3) and tabbing sunders around. Maybe they will be conservative and recognize that you arent a DK. You cant drop a reticle on the ground to generate threat, and you cant deathgrip the caster into your AoE.

Same, our main tank was a protadin and I played prot warrior as Secondary and we had zero issues with clearing any content.

I had a blast and arms was Hecka fun in pvp during wrath.

Prot Warriors in Wrath are the best version of Tanks in the history of the game. It’s the pinnacle of Tank design and the most powerful and fun they ever were to play. They had so much depth and YUUUGE damage. What a time to be alive.

1 Like

MoP tanks were most definitely more powerful. For long time tank players that was the peak expansion for having fun in WoW.

As far as the OP is concerned, I mained a prot warrior from Classic through the end of MoP(Heroic Strike, RIP). I would say overall wrath was fine for prot. The only thing I remember being annoyed about was snap threat and picking things up from range or things that trickle in. Every tank had a niche and a reason you wanted them in wrath. Block tanks were clutch on the last boss of ToC for example.

Blizzard should remove Improved Disarm as a talent, so niche it’s useless and who actually puts points in it.

Replace Improved Disarm with → Dragonslayer’s Flask [0/1] - 5 Minute Cooldown.

Drink from the flask, temporarily granting you +15% attack speed, threat generation and healing for 10% of your maximum health every 5 seconds for 30 seconds. Only usable outside of combat.

This would give us the threat we are lacking at the beginning of the fight, while also being a unique pre-pull ability, keeping warriors as the “cooldown” themed tanks, and also throwing a nostalgia nod to the diamond flask, a warrior-only item that was everyone’s favorite item to use pre-pull back in Classic.

Pls Blizz!

Every Prot Warrior PvP build since it increases damage by 10% for extra YEET! Definitely not useless. Even great for disarming healers.

How about we don’t replace any talents for anyone.

my idea is better

Again changing talents for any class isn’t a good idea. Besides it’s the best time to Yeet people with your shield in PvP and WotLK was the pinnacle of Prot and PvP. So let us just enjoy it as it was. The best time to play Prot warrior!

Ready to stack Arm Pen, Block value and wear some Dps gear as Prot! It was the original Glad stance. There is nothing better than doing huge damage with a shield. Which we get to do again in Wrath :heart_eyes:

1 Like

pvp prot isn’t the main point of prot war, that’s just a side cheese thing, its fun but shouldn’t be catered to

Disagree

Time for WotLK to make PvP Tanks Great Again

Disagree as Prot PvP design is as important as PvE. Something they forgot about in retail expansions.

If you want to spend 1,000 hours in PvE on your Prot coolzies… I’ll be spending my 1,000 hours farming HK’s and owning it up PvPing. To each their own. Just happy to play the best version of Prot again.

THIS! Prot Warriors were disgustingly good. They pumped damage that could top charts in raids. The absolute most fun tank.

It’s Not Terrible, it’s actually pretty OP. I lvl’d 1-60 arms, 60-70 as prot (if I can tank in TBC on prot, wotlk will be cheese). and will probably do 70-80 with the sweeping strikes/improved revenge build for the insane cleave damage, As a matter of fact I’ll probably 3 man dungeons with this build. For later content I’ll switch to fury. Only thing with prot in wrath is that it has a reputation of being more squishy than other tank in late game content.