[prot warr] should i try to do pvp for gear?

I’m not sure if i should just go into arena/bgs with some gear to try to get pre-raid BiS or even BiS compared to just doing heroic dungs. not sure how competent how i’ll be tho cuz i’ve only hit 1700 on retail. thanks.

Are you asking if you should use PvP to get gear for PvE tanking?

yea
10 char for reply

CAN you? Yes.

SHOULD you? No.

ok thanks asdfasd

PvP gear allows you to become uncrittable through its resilience, but it lacks the main mitigation stats which may lead you to getting your bum handed to you by heroic-level/raid mobs.

1 Like

I haven’t been following the tank meta a lot in TBC so this might be outdated boomer logic, but the main issue is resilience.

You can get uncrittable with resilience, but not uncrushable. This means PvP gear is great for druids as they cannot get uncrushable either way and deal with it with massive health pools, but it’s pretty horrible for paladins and warriors who need to be uncrushable to tank 10/25 man content. PvP gear would be fine for heroics where it doesn’t matter as mobs cap at level 72, but for anything past that, you need “proper” tanking gear.

That is not to say you cannot have a few pieces of PvP gear, like how paladin tanks often go for s2 spelldmg weapon which is a better tanking weapon for them than basically anything before I dunno, MH I think? But in general, most of your pieces should be “proper” PvE tanking gear.

Your goal as a warrior tank is to have enough defense to be uncrittable and to have 25% static block chance – the reason being that shield block (the ability) provides 75% chance for two attacks (assuming you’re specced into it.)

Any attack that’s blocked can’t deal crushing damage. So as long as you have a 100% chance to block with shield block up, your health shouldn’t spike and you won’t give your healers PTSD.

Something you’re not going to find on PvP gear (at all) is block value which improves the amount of damage your shield can block from each attack – when you see that it’s pure gold; assuming you can equip it and maintain 25% block chance and be uncrittable.

Arena gear is amazing for threat sets. Get just enough resil to become uncritable and then you can basically wear whatever you want. On bosses that don’t hit hard you don’t need a ton of avoidance and the stat budget on PVP gear is really good.

Obviously you won’t be using it on bosses like Brutallus, but where threat is needed PVP gear will make you a monster and not to mention you can do good dps too when not tanking and DW dev spam.

1 Like

Actually it isn’t. Your main threat is from PvE stats like Block value and unfortunately Arena gear has zero Block value on it. There might be a few items sprinkled in that can work but overall PvE gear way better for threat due to Shield Slam.

Side note though once you get your PvE gear you will be ready for PvP since PvE gear for Prot is BiS in PvP.

I hate to tell you this, but Prot Warrior will not be wanted in most content. 5-mans is kinda where they peak in WOTLK, according to public perception.

Yes you should look at pvp items. Can check my logs/gear for an example of blending them. The sad truth is, prot warriors are not in high demand for most content now or moving forward. Druids and paladins hold the top spots for tanking.

Honestly dude, druids and paladins abuse their healers by getting frequently crushed in single-target boss fights, and DPS players don’t know how to cc or control their threat because they’re used to god-mode paladins in full t5 tanking their heroic dungeon runs.

Then retail happened. The rest, as they say, is history.

Holy misinformatiom batman, war get uncrushable by pushing shield block, pallies do it by pressing holy shield, PVP gear is great for tanking just dont lean into it to heavily as any resil over crit cap is wasted.

Block value scales horribly, do any of you know what you’re talking about?

Their are actually quite a few peices that are considered BiS for tank warrior that come from arena. The helm, the throwing weapon, and even one of the armor pen rings, all listed on the prot warrior bis lists. If you can do arena then definitely do it.

Strength on the PvP gear gives block value, as well as threat from every other ability as they scale with attack power. Yes, shield slam is your highest threat generation, but having higher auto’s, devestates, heroic strikes and revenge scaling from the str on the gear is just as beneficial.

At this point just craft yourself some okish tank gear and save badges… badge gear is best route for a tank outside of raids that you won’t be invited to.

Block value is literally the best scaling stat for damage and threat for warriors. It will generate the highest TPS. Not to mention in PvP the best Yeet…

Block value is a direct flat damage increase that gets a bonus from Talents and Meta gem. There is nothing close to it.

The reason they “Capped” damage from Block value in WotLK was because it scales so well. Warriors and even Paladins were wearing old TBC enchants/gear because they increased damage and threat more than new Tier enchant/gear.

Block value has always been the best scaling stat by far. No idea where you are getting info from.

Block value increases the damage dealt by your shield slam.

Any full-prot warrior who took an attack power trinket as a higher priority than a rogue just ninja’d loot.

1 Like

Go check fight club, the premier warrior info sharing discord. SBV sets were from bad private servers and the scaling is pretty terrible in actual tbc, have you not looked at a bis list since phase 1? How can you be this confident in complete BS?