Prot PvP - Is it Viable?

Is prot PvP viable? Level 70 warr

I am new to warrior and really enjoy prot in pve for open world and tanking, but I am struggling when I join a battleground.

Any advice, or pvp builds that people can help me out with? Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

this guy seems to have a decent prot build that is both good out in the world and apparently pvp as he does a lot of it I guess

I’m doing that one (switch back forth between prot/fury right now) with a little my own take on things

1 Like

Yup sure is and competitive too.

I did start this thread and plan to do a Glad stance build in the future. I play aggressively as Prot been doing it for 16 years and enjoyed Glad stance in WoD.

There is some info in there and pics of the BGs I’m doing. Typically I’m near top in KB’s and lead in dmg/healing.

As someone posted above you can see my character and build. From there you can ask question after reading that thread or checking out the build.

Your main burst is from Shockwave, Shield Charge or Outburst Shield Slam. You have great control and constant mitigation up. Shield Charge typically is critting for over 100k.

I never use D stance in BGs. Unfortunately it has the Arms nerf from previous seasons and hope that gets fixed. So I just use B stance and pump out the damage. It’s not beneficial at all to use D stance for 10% dmg reduction and lose 20% dmg. You need that damage to heal/mitigate and actually be a threat.

1 Like

if your just planning on doing BGs or RBGs you will be fine. But just know from my experience that if you plan on doing rated solo Qs while you may do good damage and have control over your opponents its basically an arms race between players to see who can kill the other the quickest, since you will be placed in a match where both teams have a Tank and 2 dps and therefore you as a prot war obviously can’t heal your team that I know of anyways so as I stated above its basically an arms race and if you end up on the losing end it can get pretty toxic very fast. I know this because I played prot pally during beta when the solo q mode was being tested and either people would be EXTREMELY toxic to me calling me names that I can’t say on here but if you have common sense I’m pretty sure you can figure out some names that I was called or they would just straight up leave the group which resulted in a loss. Not to mention as far as solo q goes there is really no big punishment other than getting a deserter debuff that will gradually increase the time before you can enter again If you keep leaving.

You do not lose rating for leaving a rated solo q and that is a big no no for me because in my case they just kept leaving if they saw that it was a tank solo q aka a group with no healer. anyways sorry for the rant and long message but with that said I would just stay away from the solo q aspect of rated arena’s as a tank unless you want to deal with all that. Again this is just my experience in solo q as a tank and have since changed my main to rogue on live because of that.

This was changed after feedback and now you will be placed in a Dps position with Healers.

You lose 150 rating and get a stacking debuff each time you do. So adjustments were made.

With that said whether Solo Q or 2’s or 3’s Arena Prot should be able to be played at Glad range. There are plenty of comp options. What comp to play will shape up once the Meta starts to form.

Really? If so then the those changes are definitely great for solo q but they really should have been in place to begin with. Glad to hear that though!!

1 Like

Yuuup was a Blizz post a few weeks ago. It changed on Beta before launch as a test.

I mean you can’t fault them for trying new stuff. It didn’t work and they moved on which I do give them credit for after mountains of feedback. So we are good to go now for the most part.

As Prot you could be the ONLY tank in Solo Q and matched with 2 healers and 3 Dps.

I’ve tried Protection, and I wasn’t impressed. It plays way too similarly to Shadowlands Arms to me. It takes multiple GCDs to setup a big burst, and it pales in comparison to a lot of other specs.

If it was more like WoD Gladiator or Protection I’d probably stick with it, but Fury plays a lot better. The only thing I’d really like Prot for right now is utility; you can take virtually every talent you’d ever want, and it comes packaged with an absurd amount of CC tools, but its damage hasn’t inspired anything for me.

It’s a mix of Legion Prot and Glad from WoD. Are you taking the right talents?

Interesting I feel like Prot’s Damage is the best it’s been since WoD Glad. I’ve been literally giggling when I 2 shot people. You have to have something off in your build.

You have a few abilities that can hit 70-120k while doing high sustain. Did you read my Glad stance thread? You should be topping damage every BG.

A new one I haven’t posted yet
https://imgur.com/a/s94R3q2