Prot or ret for leveling?

Topic :heart:

Taking my time leveling this guy for Wrath. I’ll only be dungeon spamming when I’m at a level where I love the dungeon I’m running (VC, SM, ZF, etc.), and that’s more for the enjoyment factor.

I planned on tanking during leveling for easier survivability and easy grouping, but I was also wondering if I can spec Ret and swap out for sword-and-board during dungeon runs?

Go ret to get seal of command in pre patch. This will give you aoe cleave on every swing. You can start going prot at that point if you like, and early leveling will still be fine using a 2H.

2 Likes

Thank you!!

I leveled as a prot pally when tbc pre patch hit from 1-60 and honestly it wasn’t that bad. It felt faster due to having a faster weapon and there was very little downtime (putting wisdom on the mob for mana regen). Ret will be great for leveling once Wrath changes hit though. I also had very little issues finding groups being a tank so that was a huge plus. Enjoy your pally!! :slight_smile:

I can’t vouch enough for how fast Prot is for leveling. I bounced back and forth between Ret and Prot and it wasn’t even close. Even questing, you can do the majority of quests in 2-3 pulls, where because if AoE you do 700+ DPS in your early 60’s pulling 10+ mobs where Ret can maybe do the same but single target and then have to drink every few kills because to do the same DPS you have to twist.

I play as Ret now at 70, but Prot was just so efficient while leveling, and if you want to just grind, AOE grinding is really solid exp.

I mean dual spec will be a thing in a couple weeks (SoonTM)

I would say Prot until pre-patch hits especially if you plan to dungeon spam at certain level ranges.

You might hit max before pre-patch but that depends on how much you plan and when exactly they drop it.

Until then, Prot is going to be more desirable then Ret

Gotta have 1000g though, not sure he would if this is his first character.

Also requires level 30.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.