Proper aoe tanking?

How do I do it? People just seem to run in and aoe or start cleaving immediately. I’m rage starved for eternity then people behave passive-aggressively the entire run. Not trying to complain just wanting to know how to do it to my best ability. I’ve tried all sorts of openers to help and none really help

3 Likes

I’ve been using demo shout followed by tab and sunder or revenge instead (if activated and off cd) once per target and and cycle through on repeat. Dps should hold off for a couple of seconds before aoeing because if they get aggro your lower rage generation while not being hit makes it difficult to get aggro back on multiple targets.

If you are not given time, you won’t have threat. Even if you do start out with threat, DPS and even heals can pull mobs off from you. It’s really on them, not you.

6 Likes

They shouldn’t be going all out BFA style but if you’re trying to adapt to the brainlets, I’d suggest charging in -> Thunderclap -> stance dance -> Demo shout -> tab/sunder whatever you can and hope for the best.

6 Likes

It just depends on finding a group that isn’t a bunch of jerks honestly.

1 Like

While levelling im going to assume youre either arms or fury. I normally charge in and either use thunderclap or whirlwind+ demo shout. Engineering bombs greatly help with threat as well as keeping the mobs grouped together. After that tab sunder and youre golden.

1 Like

I already been doing these methods. That’s a shame. every group was behaving like I was the problem

What are your talents?

Do you have Anger management? This gives you 1 rage every 3 secs. Also you need tactical mastery anyways. You should get Anger if you want to tank.

Do you have Imp Shield this gives you 1 Rage per block

Do you have Imp Bloodrage?

So you charge, Demo then you swap to Berserker stance hit Berserker Rage so you get increase rage from damage. You whirldwind for the Aoe, Stance dance back. Hit Shield Block, then take it from there can Tclap, cleave etc.

In between pulls you can Bloodrage this gives you Rage and you get more because you are in combat and Anger Management kicks in. Then you are starting off with rage before the charge.

Other key notes are do you have enough Crit? Agility gear as this also generates a lot more rage. I took 5 cruelty and have a decent amount of Agility.

1 Like

Since they fixed Demo’s threat, I read now Battle shout is good for AOE aggro? Is this true? Apparently it’s a thing?

If people drop AoEs before you have time to build any aggro, then you really can’t. Every pull will just be a Benny Hill chase scene featuring you.

If you have time, charge in and Battle Shout, swap stance and Demo Shout, then start tab targeting Sunders/Revenge and Taunt whatever goes running.

5 Likes

I made a bit of a low level tanking guide with some tips. It’s not explicitly for AoE tanking, per say, and it depends a little on your preference: 2hander vs shield and 1hander.

I’m not sure how applicable it will be at higher levels, but so far I’ve tanked up to RFD without issue. Getting Ravager changed my “tanking” style quite a bit, in that I’m basically doing a DPS rotation, in addition to maintaining aggro on mobs, mostly with Demo Shout, Sunder Armor, and big damage, with a sparkling of Bladetorm procs.

One thing I would definitely recommend if you do not have it already is to use the addon Threat Plates (Classic). This is super helpful for determining when a mob might drop threat.

In addition to threat management, and cleave damage, managing Taunt and Mocking Blow, on “messy” pulls (e.g. accidentally face pull with no rage, instead of charge, or an over eager dps or pet pulls for you) can also be super helpful.

It’s a lot better not to chase mobs around. Stick to your pack, with an occasional Intercept->taunt if the healer catching aggro, but if DPS can’t tank, they shouldn’t run away from you. Mostly, they seem to be capable of thinking for themselves, if you let them :wink:

Mostly gotta break people of their retail habits. Vanilla you need to give tank time to build threat - you cant speed thru dungeons in 12 minutes in classic. You need to give the healer time to drink after every pull or 2. Mana, like threat, is hard to manage so its imperative the dps avoid as much damage as possible - we cant endlessly spam heals in classic. CC, marking and being careful not to accidentally aggro roamers or additional trash packs is imperative. We all need to relearn vanilla 15 years later

2 Likes

Yell at them to give you a few seconds.

Even just 2-3 GCDs to establish the mobs in position and get an AoE or two down is night and day in terms of locking the pull down.

Thunderclap is a waste of rage for threat in classic.

1 Like

One thing that is ultra annoying behaviour by DPS that would solve most problems.

Target the same mob FFS!

If you all blow up one mob for your first 4 spells:

1. it’s dead, one less to worry about
    1. you all put slows on it so if you pull aggro it’s fine, tank can taunt it, or just kite it a bit
    1. the tank got a few precious seconds to build some threat on the rest and now you can DPS with reckless abandon

If you open with AOE, or you all single target a different mob, the tank can’t out threat more than one of you so he isn’t getting hit, has no rage, and now he can’t even get any rage, so now you’re (the mage) tanking and the tank is a useless bystander.

Don’t be a pain in the butt.

Single target one mob to start the pull. All DPS, one mob.

Makes everyone’s life easy.

6 Likes

There is alot of garbage advice and spectacular advice here.

Aight first, what kind of player are you? If you like to get baked and chillax do not tank. Tanking is hyper situational and chaotic. Even when things are going well you have to be coked ADD in case pats, threat drops, or your group is bad at not aggroing more stuff.

If you prefer speed metal, my talent reccomendation is:

Go immediately for tactical mastery. Full. Follow that with imp charge. These two are god sends for making your job easier. These two talents let you charge, tclap, and either change to def and demo (more threat) or demo, and swap to def. This will not only mitigate alot of damage to you for the healers sake, but if one drops that mobs is still hitting dps for less and slower.

From here you can literally just wait until someone pulls something off you, (this is where speed metal comes in) the 1/10th second you see a mob change direction, click it, taunt it, and sunder or revenge to lock it.

Continue this process, smack things with your sword, don’t use any abilities unless dying, mob changes aggro, taunt, sunder, continue to build rage.

Yes, in theory, the dps should be focusing, check elites guide for our conversation about this. But they dont. You can mark to get a better idea where the damage SHOULD be going. But that only helps half the time.

Do not battleshout unless your threat is comfortably under control, or you have no melee dps. All melee dps will hit harder and faster than you, so if you give them a boost to ap, you’re making the threat issue worse.

You can, and should, leave any mob below 15-20% health for the dps. It will die quick, and you moving will only screw things up. I often have my threat drop around this time and the dps does fine.

Be careful using your toolkit, theres a compulsion to press things as soon as you have them. Dont.

Is there a mob that you need to pick up?
No.
Are you at least at 2 sunders (or 4 revenge) on every mob?
Yes.
Is your healer oom and you are dying?
No.

Stop touching buttons. Tab out and skip your pandora music you dont like, type some smarmy quip in chat, whatever, let your rage build.

In the event you’re in a particular stance and you’ve saved up a whole bar of rage, stay in that stance. Max tac mas only lets you keep 25 rage, so either burn that rage down to 25 doing…well whatever useful so you can change stances with wasting rage. Or, change stances in emergencies (read: mocking blow)

3 Likes

Man I totally thought this was going somewhere good and then you said get improved charge… RIP

1 Like

I appriciate your theory crafting, but nrass tax, ive found BS to be a luxury of good tanking.

It’s not really theory, it’s how it worked in 1.12. As I mentioned though, it does not currently work that way so you haven’t been able to AoE threat with BS on classic (at least not nearly to the degree that you should be able to).

The blue post I linked to mentions that they intend to change BS threat to work the way it did in 1.12, which will mean after it is fixed, it will then be the best AoE threat generator a warrior has.