[Prompt] The Egg

Hmm, what is that? Curious, you pull away some brush and discover an egg. Do you take it or leave it? What hatches from within? Do you release the newborn, raise it as your own pet, kill it, use the egg for breakfast, sell it?

The idea I had was no recreating the character to match the world, but literally being in the world as the character you are now. Same person, different environment.

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules. I ask that posts be limited to two or three, as much longer is more like a short tale probably befitting its own thread.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfectly match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in here as well. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

3 Likes

Does the Egg of the King count? Does it summon the God Hand? Just re watched Berserk, so it got me thinking. Continuation from the last chapter I put on a prompt you left.

A prompt is meant to inspire, so it is whatever you wish to make of it.

2 Likes

“Ann’da, Ann’da, hurry up! The poor bird needs help!” sounded a small voice; a young elven child rapidly tugging a death knight along a stretch of beach near Stormwind. Morician trudged along, doing his best to keep up with Danuriel despite being weighed down by his armor. This was supposed to have been a relaxing outing to bond with his adopted son, and give his wife some much-needed alone time. Khynareth’s gonna kill me if Danny got into trouble. He quickly shook the thought from his mind, focusing instead on reviewing his knowledge of first aid.

The pair slowed as they crested a sandy hill overlooking a section of pebbly beach; Danuriel tugging on Morician’s right arm and pointing to a small bird. “See? It’s hurt real bad and can’t fly. Can you fix? You’ve gotta fix it, poor bird. Can we take him home and keep him until he gets better?”

The bird in question was a sandy brown with a white underbelly and black markings on its head and neck. It had a pointy bill and longish legs, and long narrow wings–one of which was dragging along the ground as the bird made a pitiful squawking noise.

Morician watched the bird carefully as it hopped away, moving a little further down the beach from its visitors before stopping and continuing to squawk. He placed a hand on Danuriel’s shoulder as the child started to walk towards the bird, pointing with the other to a small depression in the sand near the bird.

“Not so fast there,” Morician replied with a small chuckle, keeping his voice low to avoid frightening the bird further. “Look carefully, and tell me what you what you see?”

Danuriel began to protest, but at a stern look from the death knight he frowned and turned to look in the indicated direction. Squinting a bit and shielding his eyes from the sun, he studied the depression intently for several minutes before perking up in excitement. “Eggs! Those are eggs in that hole!”

Morician nodded in approval, patting Danuriel on the shoulder. “Yep. That’s a killdeer bird, and they like to make their nests in sandy places. It ain’t really hurt, they just act hurt whenever a threat gets too close. They’ll lure the threat safely away from the nest before flyin’ back. Watch…”

He gently tugged on the child’s shoulder, stepping back several paces with Danuriel before pausing to watch. The killdeer eyed them suspiciously for several moments, before fluttering back to settle down on its nest once more.

“Whoa…wait until I tell Minn’da!” Danuriel whispered, shuffling his feet in barely contained excitement before stopping abruptly and frowning. “But why’s it called a killdeer? Does it eat deer? How does a bird that small eat deer?”

“It’s called that because of the sound it makes,” Morician replied, shepherding Danuriel back towards Stormwind. “They eat bugs and worms and stuff just like any other bird.”

“Are you sure it’s not hurt and needs help? We could take the eggs with it…” Danuriel asked hopefully.

“I’m sure,” Morician chuckled, ruffling the child’s hair. “Wild creatures are better left to live in the wild, where they’ll be happy, unless they’re really sick. I’m glad you got me before tryin’ to mess with it yourself, though I hope you learned somethin’ for next time.”

“Yes Ann’da…” Danuriel picked up a shiny pebble, examining it before sticking in his pocket. “Does this mean I can’t have a pet bird then?”

Morician sighed, offering a small smile. “We’ll see. If you can keep up with your schoolwork, and learn what a pet bird needs, then maybe. For now though we’d best be headin’ back or we’ll be late for dinner.”

Author's Note

The inspiration for this story actually came from one of my childhood memories. There was a killdeer that nested near a pond on my parents’ farm, and it was always interesting watching its behavior and trying to spot the eggs in the nest(a lot harder than it looks).

Anyway, I thought it’d make for a nice little story in light of the heavier stuff from prior weeks, in addition to expanding on Morician’s present status(as I’ve not done as much writing about BFA events).

4 Likes

(I’ve been busy staffing a convention so I don’t have the time to write something serious.)

What Zan would do.

Zan would shapeshift into full Thalassian peacock form and sit on the egg to keep it warm until it hatches or the mother comes back. :peacock:

1 Like
Author's Note

The following story is a WIP of Nyxrica’s origins. She is a character I will be developing more in the future. But with this prompt, I jumped into writing her and might have non-accurate lore as I have not done the proper research into Dark Irons and Nefarian yet. Any pointers are much loved <3

“Hurry up! If those dragonspawn catch us, Ragnaros will be the least of our problems!” Bryrok hissed at his companion.

Kynmi turned back and gave Bryrok a stern glare. He may claim that he is the best inflitrator in the clan, and his work today certainly supported that claim, but he also needed to learn when to shut it. Especially when they were currently in the most dangerous place possible within Blackrock Mountain. The store rooms of Nefarian.

The dwarfs were on a Mad Man’s Quest. Kynmi received a dream from the elements, somewhere within these storeroom was something that she had to get. The problem is… what. As the two dwarves carefully moved through the room, there were countless treasures and artifacts here mainly from when dwarves used to rule over the Spire, but also various things that Nefarian himself had added to the stockpile. And then there were the Eggs. The ebony shells littered around the room with dragonspawn meandering between them making sure the eggs were cared for.

Brynok knuckles tightened on his hilt as he glared at the eggs. One day they would hatch into more monstrosities born to kill him and his kin. Kynmi put a gentle hand on his shoulder. She did not know his pain, but she understood it. After a moment, he relaxed and gave her a nod. They continued moving through the room, but each artifact Kynmi inspected wasn’t the item she was looking for. She was about to abandon the search when she felt a different presence from the dark corruption emanating from the eggs. While she had dedicated her life to the Elements, she had felt of the Light’s power before. Looking around she saw a pile of gold glowing faintly. Resting on top of it was a dragon’s egg. The egg tenders avoided this egg in particular.

“Brynok, cover me.” She whispered as she made her way over to the blessed gold. She carefully hide herself from view of the dragonspawn as she looked up at the egg. As she thought, she didn’t feel the vile revulsion of corruption coming from this egg. It was pure, it was clean. She reached up to touch the surface of the egg and a red gleam of fire danced on its surface. This was what she came here for.

She waited for the nearby dragonspawn to head in another direction before she climbed atop the gold and began lifting the egg. She heard the soft footsteps of Byrnok behind her. “WHAT are you DOING?!” He hissed as quietly as he could manage. She could feel his rage boiling within him.

“This egg doesn’t have the corruption! This is what the elements were calling me for.” Once she had a solid grip, she stepped off the pile and got behind cover as she knew she needed to clear this with her friend before it went south.

“How do you know that?!” He growled. “How do you know that it won’t just hatch into a monster and kill you like they did my family?!” His voice was starting to rise in volume. From behind the partial wall they were hiding behind, Kynmi could see the dragonspawn starting to look around for a possible intruder.

“I don’t know. I just do. The egg was resting on gold bless by the Light. Prehaps that purified it.” Kynmi replied as she looked at the egg sitting next to her.

“You are risking our lives and the lives of everyone back home… on a HUNCH?!” This time he was too loud. His pain and anger at losing his family overwhelmed his practical logic. The hisses of the dragonspawn could be heard as they quickly converged on the no longer stealthy dwarves.

“RUN!” Kynmi called out as she grabbed the egg and started running towards the secret entrance that they came in through. Brynok was right behind her, she never saw him draw his daggers.

“The Elements called me for something in here and this is it!” She reasoned as they ran. The dragonspawn were closing in, and the heavy egg was slowing the shaman down. The exit was still so far away.

Brynok looked at her and the egg once more. “Are you sure that egg is pure?” He asked once more.

“Yes.” She replied with confidence, getting a sinking feeling in her gut.

“Well, i don’t trust it, but I trust you. Farewell Kynmi.” He said before giving a savage roar and turning back on the approaching dragonspawn, blades whirling.

“Brynok no!” She cried as he started to fight.

“Just go lass! Prove me wrong with that egg of yours.” He replied. “Go while I have them distraced.” He let out a grunt of pain as a talon cut through the armor on his arm.

“Elements guide you, Brynok.” And with that she continued to run towards the secret entrance. A couple of the dragonspawns broke off to chase after her, but Brynok’s sacrifice gave her enough time to make it into the secret entrance. She quickly set the egg down and heaved the stone block back into place, cutting off the dragonspawn from getting to her. She stopped and let her tears fall, Brynok had been her closest childhood friend.

Yet, she couldn’t stay and mourn, this place was still dangerous and she had to get the egg home safely. Picking it up again, she made her ways back through the caves until she was in a dwarven controlled part of the mountain again. She stashed the egg in a private room she used to commune with the elements. The lava pool in the middle would keep the cave warm enough for the egg.

There would be many in her clan that would not understand, Brynok was not the only one to have the sentiment of hate for the black dragon, yet Eynmi was determined to raise the egg when it hatched, regardless of any trials she may endure.

3 Likes

Asana groaned and slowly sat up, gingerly testing her body for injuries. Thankfully there was nothing major, no broken bones at least. Hell she was amazed they survived that. That was a long fall on to very hard stone. The air was unusually warm and had a disgusting pungent aroma. “Ugh…you alright, Ellva?” She cast her gaze around in the darkness of what she assumed was a pit or cave of some sort, but visibility was non-existent.

A voice next to her muttered a brief word followed by a small burst of green flame for light. Holding the flame in her palm was a gnome woman with a mess of vibrant red hair and a face streaked with dirt. “I suppose I’m in one piece. Quick thinking on grabbing that vine, we might not have survived without it. Though I do regret letting you lead the way.”

She reached out and wiped some of the dirt off Ellva’s cheek affectionately, then pinched it. “My fault?! In my defense, this hole or whatever it is was well hidden by undergrowth. It wasn’t intentional. Blame this jungle for being unreasonable. And if anyone’s at fault it’s you for antagonizing those ogres!”

Ellva sniffed at the comment, but didn’t have any retort. Good, that meant she was right. Getting chased by a band of angry ogres wasn’t on her to do list for the day. Although it was very entertaining watching a small fiery girl openly mock those giants. She also might have added a few comments herself too, minor details.

Speaking of which…she listened carefully for noise or movement, but heard nothing in the pervading silence. Looking upwards she could see a clear opening to the night sky above. It was fairly high and surrounded by sheer vertical walls. It could potentially be climbable, but that might be dicey in her opinion.

“At least they’re gone, I think. I wonder why they suddenly left?” asked Ellva.

“Clearly they realized your insults were accurate and left to go drown their sorrows,” she teased.

Ellva chuckled and turned to inspect the walls for a way out. Asana stood up and stretched her aching muscles. There were certainly going to be bruises by tomorrow. She took a few blind steps into the dark and immediately tripped on something. Surprisingly, it gave way at her touch and moved. Curious, she knelt down and grabbed the object. It felt very smooth, vaguely oval shaped and was quite sizable. Definitely not heavy enough to be stone.

“Ellva, come here a moment,” she called.

The gnome walked over and brought the fel light beside her. In the illumination it revealed the object to be sickly white in color with a faint network of grey lines coursing over it like veins. She narrowed her eyes. “What is that?”

Asana shook her head. “I don’t know. If I had to guess, it looks like an egg…”

“An egg? This far underground? I don’t think there are any major reptiles in Feralas. Then again I’m not an expert on wildlife,” Ellva said warily. “More importantly, we should try to find a way out. Especially if something already lives here.”

“Right…” she muttered thoughtfully. Was this an egg? It looked familiar to her, but she couldn’t place from where. Why did this object ring a bell in her mind? She ran her fingers over its almost leathery surface. Deep inside a warm pulse could be felt at the touch. She had been to Feralas only a couple of times in the past. If her recollection was right the locals once warned her about… “Oh hell no,” she said in horrified realization.

“What?” Ellva asked, looking at her with concern.

She took a deep breath to steady herself, searching for that state of inner balance and peace as her training had taught her. It did not come easily. “This isn’t a reptile egg…and I think I know why the ogres fled the area. Increase your light.”

After another incantation Ellva worked the fire into a glowing orb and threw it above them. It stuck there in the air then flared with light far stronger than before filling the space around them. In the eerie green glow she had her fears confirmed. The pit was only about thirty feet across with two dark tunnels descending deeper into the earth. But the walls were lined with dozens upon dozens more of these eggs clustered together. They had fallen into a silithid hive.

Ellva just sighed at the sight. “You know, I think preferred the ogres.” But despite her seeming indifference, she reached out and grabbed her hand. Not out of fear, but still searching for a connection of comfort and steadiness.

Asana squeezed back to convey more reassurance than she felt as a skittering sound could already be heard far down in one of the tunnels. How perfect.

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed the stories thus far. A nice variety of egg encounters lol. Mori’s, yours was so cute :3. Asana I like the ‘it is not a blessing’ egg finding. Lol better run.

Nyxrica, for not yet doing the research and just diving in, the tale seems rather solid. As always, a black dragon character will be met with skepticism, but I think your tale helps justify why the whelp wasn’t corrupted right away. From there, the whelp just has to resist further attempts at corruption. Something to keep in mind, going forward.

2 Likes

Thanks! :smiley: I’ve been trying to practice writing some lighter, happier things. So far, I seem to be doing okay.

To the surprise of many, Death Knight Gharion was quite fond of nature- mind you, that did not mean nature -or druids, for that matter- were fond of him.

Butterflies, for example, were not among his top priority destructables. There are so many people out there. People that he doesn’t like much. While butterflies- butterflies just go about their fluttery business and have interesting patterns.

Butterflies -surprisingly- also did not seem to mind him being a dead man walking, which was always welcome.

Now, he had come into the possesion of a strange egg, he was no hunter, and as such didn’t know what would hatch from it… he had hoped, however, that whatever came from it would not be inmediatly hostile to him. Now he finds himself hesitating, debating whether or not to kill the freshly hatched dark whelpling before him.

He had heard about Onyxia, he had heard about Nefarian, he had persevered through the Cataclysm- killing the whelpling would be the smart thing to do, moreover it would be easy.

But… the whelping hadn’t done anything deserving of death (yet), hadn’t she? Though the Black DragonFlight had been corrupted, couldn’t one say the say the same of himself and his ebon brothers, some of whom were orcs, at that?

Perhaps and once again corrupted need not mean irredeemable- worst came to worst, a knight could always kill a dragon.

1 Like