[Prompt] That Special Thing/Place

This week was a request from a friend: Morician

A friend, an ally, someone known to you wishes to see a part of your life, something you find special, somewhere important to you. Guide them through someplace or something that is special to you. Why is it so special to you? What makes it unique to your heart? What sort of memories do you have with it or at it?

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules. I ask that posts be limited to two or three, as much longer is more like a short tale probably befitting its own thread.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfectly match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in here as well. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

6 Likes

The large shadow in the sky started to dip downwards. The wings of the dragon tilted, flapping once or twice to keep up the steady glide down. The rider, a flame haired human, patted its neck. “A’ight,” she said, nodding, “We’re here.”

The dragon only let out a noise. It landed, wings folding back to its sides as the rider slid to the ground. She wobbled at first, but gained her balance again quickly. From behind the latter, the dragon slowly shrunk down, becoming a tan, black haired human. “This is the place?”

“Uh huh. Not up to your standards, there, Darcy?” The red haired human grinned. “Thought you’d like it. Dark. Dreary. Buncha death. S’what you dragons’re about, no?” She continued up the path they landed on.

Darcy scowled at the back of her head. “Watch your tongue, Lux.” She followed her slowly. “I simply didn’t expect this place to still hold so much meaning for you, after all of the tragedy that’s befallen this place.” She looked out to the ravaged area that was once Darkshore.

Lux shrugged. “Fair enough.” She vanished over the hill, to a spot where Darcy could tell a cave entrance sat. She quickened her pace, stopping at the top to see Lux sitting on the edge of the cliff. Lux glanced to her, and patted the spot beside her. “S’a nice view of ev’rythin’ from here. Jus’ be careful. The rocks’re unstable sometimes.”

Darcy snorted. “A black dragon falling off a cliff? You’d sooner see a Bronze dragon forgetting what time it is.” She moved over to sit by her friend. She glanced at her, and the surprisingly calm expression she wore. “Most people would choose to avoid places that have caused them so much pain,” she remarked idly. “I know I do.”

Lux shrugged. “Can’t explain why I like it so much. S’the same as Gilneas.” She trailed off for a moment, before continuing, “Darkshore never did anythin’ bad, anyway. Was the people who ravaged it.”

“And? That doesn’t explain my question very well.” Darcy crossed her arms. “If I knew any better, I would say you’re avoiding my question, Lux.”

“I’m gettin’, there, don’t get yer wings in a twist,” she retorted. “'Sides, y’never even posed it as a question.” She went quiet. She was fiddling with the runestone on her belt. “This place just has a lot of good memories to it, I guess. I can share 'em, I guess, if y’want.” When Darcy nodded, she grinned.

"Back when the Kaldorei came ‘n saved our sorry bums from Gilneas, I ended up meetin’ this elf, right? Druid-type. I was… at least 14 when it all happened. Obviously terrified outta my mind. So, there I was, jus’ sobbin’ my eyes out, ‘n she just comes up ‘n starts talkin’. About nothin’, really, she was just talkin’ t’talk. So I listened.

“Started askin’ some questions. Stopped cryin’ since I wanted t’listen t’her better. The topic got onto Darkshore, 'n Darnassus, ‘n where they’d be lettin’ us stay. 'n she offered to let me stay with 'er.” Lux smiled, and her gaze drifted out to the distance. "So I did. Name was Ira. We stayed here for a for a good while ‘till movin’ into the tree. She jus’ kinda… became my mum after a while, I guess. We went ev’rywhere t’gether.

“S’were I met Syd for the first time, too. She was still livin’ ‘round ‘ere with ‘er cousin at the time, since she didn’t wanna live in the tree. Highborne were only let back into Kaldorei society a couple… months? Years? Think it was years… earlier. Ira was off dealin’ with somethin’, I was bored, so I went wanderin’. Jus’ ran into her. We talked, she offered me some tea, 'n I left after a while. Kept in touch, though.”

Darcy raised an eyebrow. “I never realized you had another elven parent. I thought Sydessin was always the first one.”

Lux shrugged. Her eyes fell. “Yeh… we don’t… we don’t really talk about Ira much anymore. She… she died in the Burnin’. She, uh… thought I was in the tree at the time. Died tryin’ t’save me from somethin’ I wasn’t even in danger of.” She looked back up, and drew in a long, shaky breath. “I kinda skipped Stormwind, and really ev’rywhere for a while. Stayed in this cave right behind us, jus’… thinkin’. Debatin’.” Her eyes fell again. “I’d… uh… rather not mention about what.”

Darcy, raising an eyebrow then peering down below, only shuffled herself closer to Lux. She put an arm around her friend, and nodded. “I understand.”

Lux nodded. "Yeh… thanks. But, uh… after a while of… that… I jus’ figured it might be good to go 'n see if Syddy was still alive. Lost contact more’re less after a few years, since she left for Stormwind. Found 'er easy enough. She nearly killed me when I found ‘er. May of tried sneakin’ up. She was pretty happy to see me alive, we hit it off again, and I stayed the night. Best sleep I’d had in months.

“Ended up headin’ over to hang out with ‘er more often, was stayin’ at an inn during the day, 'n we just… coped t’gether, I guess. She told me all that’d happened since she left Darkshore, I told 'er… uh… most of what happened, and.” She shrugged. "Somewhere along the way she just took me under her wing. I become ‘er apprentice, started learnin’ about magic, all that. S’kinda funny, really… got two elves t’take care of me. Battin’ two for two, I guess.

“Got off topic, but… yeh. This place just… it has a lot of meanin’ in my life. Through all that’s happened ‘ere, no matter what. It was jus’ kinda the one stable thing through everythin’.”

“You know, really, I just realized something of your story,” Darcy remarked with a grin. “…Sydessin never even offered to let you stay with her.”

Lux snorted. “She just bloody told me one day that she had no intention of lettin’ me leave. 'sides. Free food, warm house, someone who gives a crap, and magic lessons? Bloody count me in!” She chuckled. “But, yeh. Lit’rally, she just told me one day I was allowed to stay with her for as long as I needed. S’kinda funny, when you think about it… both elves I’ve ever had any connection with just kinda took me in.”

Darcy chuckled. “I think you just have good luck when it comes to elves,” she remarked.

Lux smiled, and nodded. She rested her head on Darcy’s shoulder with a light sigh. “Aye, well. Lead me to the two best, and my best friend.” She poked Darcy’s side. “Got all the luck I could need, now.”

3 Likes

Apologies for posting in an old prompt while there’s a new one active, but this was such a great topic that I felt it was a damn shame to leave it in such a grossly underrated state. It deserves at least one more post :wink:

I’ll probably post in the new prompt too at some point.

——————————————————————————

The sun blazed on in the sky unimpeded by any manner of cloud coverage, and yet it did little to cast upon the woods a more welcome visage. Arron was used to dark, confined places, and from time to time he even took comfort from them, but the twisted, mangled, rotten wood of these surroundings bred an unsettling sensation galvanized by familiarity. Arron had been there when these woods were permanently marred. His body, and likely his soul as well, were made unwilling kinfolk upon that day.

Nonetheless, the only path to take was forward, and so he continued. From time to time a fallen tree or a barbed bush would indicate that a divergence was necessary, yet Arron could make such alterations in his trajectory instinctively. Arron kept his gaze fixated downwards, for the less he saw of these damned woods the better. A deathly silence seemed to blanket the surrounding area, and the only sounds Arron could discern were the occasional breaking of a branch or twig, his own footsteps, and those of his companion who trailed some distance behind him.

It was Steamratchet’s request that Arron return to this place. But no, more than that, rather than merely relive the memories locked here he was to serve as their interpreter. The wily little goblin had almost demanded that Arron explain the significance of so personal a place with him, and for days he would not let this sudden preoccupation go. Arron knew very well that it was within Steamratchet’s character to excessively antagonize him at any given opportunity. Perhaps he derived some sick sense of pleasure from it, perhaps he truly believed he was helping in some twisted fashion. Nonetheless, by now the goblin was so well-acquainted with the facets of Arron’s mind that he knew precisely which pressure points hurt the most. Sometimes it disturbed Arron to consider that Steamratchet could, quite possibly, know him even better than he knew himself. What a horrible, fiendish, foe the goblin would make if ever he chose to exploit his personal roadmap of vulnerabilities.

He could not see the expression his companion, or perhaps captor, wore on his face, but Arron could picture the most smug, disgusting, grin stretching from ear to ear. He loathed that image; he loathed that damned goblin. Could he simply whirl around and kill him? Violence tended to solve most of his problems, but no, not this time. There would be far too many questions asked.

“Sooner started, sooner done…” he muttered as he resigned himself to this fate. Before long the woods gave way to a large clearing where the grass, what little there was, was just so lightly kissed by the light of the sun, and the earth was a lumpy, uneven mass such that it emulated the ebbing and flowing of the tumultuous tides. The small patches of still-living grass were scattered across the clearing, with large swaths of barren, lifeless dirt in between. There were a few trees that dotted the clearing, yet they all bore the marks of rot, decay, or had toppled long ago. To the average onlooker there was not much of note to be observed in this clearing, merely a few wooden shards and stray stones found here and there. And yet, to Arron, the debris was an echo of the secrets long-since swallowed by the earth.

“This is the place?” asked the goblin. Arron gave a slight nod, to which Steamratchet allowed himself a short chuckle. “Not bad, but it could definitely use a little TLC.” The goblin thrust his hands into his pockets and made a clicking sound with his tongue. “I bet was really something back in the day, eh?”

At this, the goblin’s presence seemed to fade away. Indeed, much of the surrounding area did. Arron saw only the clearing, and to his great confusion he could swear he heard a parliament of whispers growing in intensity, as if they were rising up from the dirt itself. Almost instinctively, Arron stepped forward. He took the first step, then the next, and from then on it became completely automatic.

Spires of wood and stone erupted from the earth to Arron’s left and right. Lithe, slender tendrils branched out from the tops of these pillars, overlapping and interlocking with each other until they formed the external frames of houses. A substance that behaved much like water flowed from these frames, hardened, and then took on a variety of shapes and hues to form the walls and windows. Beneath Arron’s feet bubbled forth a cobblestone path that cut straight through the center of this resurrected town, snaking around a blobby mist in the middle. Once the mist dispersed, it revealed a stone foundation inlaid with golden ingots and decorated with smooth, cherubic figures. The cobblestone path that encircled the fountain branched off here into multiple directions, most of them leading right up to the doorsteps of the various abodes, and any ground that was not covered by the path was green. So very green.

Then came the smells. A sweet aroma beckoned from the left, and Arron could see a small brunette girl in a pink dress selling flowers. The scent of freshly-baked bread made its presence known to the right, and Arron could see the slightly-chubby town baker selling his morning’s labors at a wooden stand. Somewhere in the distance Arron could detect the unmistakable odor of fish, and a voice cried out “fresh catch of the day, get it right here!”

But Arron was fixated on one sight, a landmark that, in comparison to everything else in this resurrected town, seemed to emit a certain light of its own. At the other end of the town, just where civilization met the woods once more, stood a large tree blessed with a bounty of apples. At the base of the tree stood two young boys, one with blonde hair and a slender build and the other with brown hair and a heavier physique. Though he could not see their faces, Arron recognized them immediately. The blonde child was him. Or, at least, a faint echo of him, of what he once was. But what of the other boy? Arron could swear his name lingered somewhere in the depths of his subconscious, yearning to break out.

Drycen.

Yes, Drycen. That was his name. And this place that constructed itself from the blueprint of sheer memory was where he lived. Arron could remember it all so vividly now, for he would come to visit his dear friend here in the lazy afternoons of the warm seasons.

“Alright, how many do we have so far?” Arron could hear Drycen ask. At this, the echo of Arron’s childhood looked downwards at a basket of apples that lay at his feet. “About twelve,” came the reply.

“Better make it a lucky thirteen, hm?” said Drycen. He pointed at a lone branch just out of reach of both boys. “We’ll just grab that last one and head for home.”

“I dunno, Dryce,” Arron replied sheepishly, “that’s awful high.”

“Come on! Do it for the pies!”

Arron squinted his eyes and clenched his fists with newfound resolve. “For the pies…” he said with an attempted air of valiance, yet looking up at the branch still caused a dizzying sensation and his strength quickly fled.

“I… uh…” he stammered.

Drycen merely rolled his eyes. “Alright, alright, how about I boost you up there?”

“Um… are you sure…?”

“Yeah, it’s fine. Look.” Drycen turned his back to Arron and hunched over. “Just, uh, step on me lightly.”

“How do I step lightly?” asked Arron.

“Just hurry up and do it!”

“Okay, okay!” Arron mustered up what resolve he could and put his right foot squarely on Drycen’s back. He could feel his friend flinch, but still he moved forward. Using the momentum, he swung his left foot upward and positioned it on Drycen’s left shoulder, with his right foot following suit on the right shoulder soon after.

“Ok now…” huffed Drycen as he slowly stood upright, inching Arron closer and closer to the tasty treat mere inches above. Arron’s hand was outstretched, fingers wiggling in anticipation. Soon, soon it would be in his grasp… Drycen wasn’t as close to the tree as he could be. No matter, all Arron had to do was lean forward ever so slightly…

Big mistake. Arron could feel himself losing his balance. He let out a short yelp and flailed his arms, preparing himself for the inevitable crash. But a split second later he could feel something grasp his ankles and pull him backwards a bit, resolving his balance issue.

“It’s alright,” said Drycen, “I’ve got you.” The panic fled in an instant.

That’s what Arron liked best about his childhood friend, for truly he was as trustworthy as he was mischievous. And yet, as it seemed, such a quality was worthy of punishment.

Arron, the true Arron, the weary reanimated corpse, knew what awaited him if he turned around, yet there was no avoiding it. As he turned a very different scene greeted him. Every structure was either charred or reduced to a pile of sticks and stone. The fountain was cleaved in twain, and the ground was littered with orcish weapons, mostly axes of course, and the bodies of those that once called this place home. Among them was the twisted body of Arron’s boyhood friend, his eyes open wide and a dull expression etched on his face.

Arron reached down and grabbed Drycen by the collar of his shirt, and suddenly he was just a boy once again, dragging him slowly, his eyes filled with tears, towards the apple tree that remarkably still stood intact at the end of town. Behind the tree he dug a simple grave, one that only he would ever know about, and solemnly deposited his friend in it before filling it back up. The apple tree would be its only headstone.

Morning flashed to dusk, and dusk gave way to night, over and over again in a matter of seconds. Time raced forward all around Arron, and one by one the corpses in the town disappeared. Arron could remember what happened to them; they would all serve the King of the Dead and, later, their allegiance would shift to that of a queen.

Arron was himself again as he stared down at the dirt beside the apple tree. It was still untouched, left perfectly in the same state in which Arron had last seen it. He had contemplated defiling it, of course. When the angels of death itself joined the ranks of his people and brought with them the means to bestow upon others the same “gift” that Arron had received, he was certainly tempted. He had come here one last time on that day, wracked with indecision. His closest friend was still there, lying cold beneath the earth, but it did not need to be so. Surely there was at least something of him that remained that could be brought back…

And yet he decided against it. Perhaps it was better to leave some things dead and buried.

“… that was the last time I ever saw this place.” Time shifted back to the present, and to Arron’s surprise he realized he had been talking out loud the entire time. He wasn’t even conscious of it. He was still standing beside the apple tree, and now Steamratchet was there too. Surely a snide comment from the goblin would have broken Arron’s trance at any point, and yet he had remained completely silent, simply listening.

What was it that Arron felt now? Relief? Something like that. He felt lighter, just slightly, but definitely noticeable.

Arron bent down and gently brushed the dirt. “It was… good to see this place again,” he admitted.

Steamratchet nodded and let out a slight snicker. “Of course it was. When have I ever steered you wrong, friendo? You really should listen to my magnificent genius more often.”

Arron let out an exasperated sigh. “Yeah, yeah. Thanks anyway.”

“It’s alright,” said the goblin, “I’ve got you.”

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for posting Arron. Now I got to see this prompt and feel inspiration from it too! :star_struck:

A trail of water ran through the streets of Suramar, slowly leaking off the sidewalk to drip into the canals. The source came from two Nightborne, one a tall, proud, and dry man in finely crafted robes. He was pushing another, hunched over Nightborne in a mobile chair. Her clothes were soaked, clinging to her body as if in a vacuum.

“I hate her,” Altielle said, wiping her face as best she could. The water had disrupted her makeup, causing it to run down her face as if she was crying. It wasn’t far from the truth. She had been mercilessly humiliated in public on a day that should have been the best day of her life. Death would have been an improvement.

“You don’t mean that,” Talathar said. He reached over and brushed one hand over her hair, trying to help air it out. Altielle swatted him away.

“I could have died! And you saw that look on her face. There was no regret, only smugness. She’s a sociopath, I swear,” she grumbled.

“You weren’t exactly the pinnacle of civility, either,” he said, pulling her to a stop at the corner of the road. It overlooked Astravar Harbor, where gondolas magically glided across the bay from pier to pier.

“She started it,” Altielle remarked bitterly.

“And you just had to finish it. I keep telling you, Alt. Choose your battles wisely. You can’t just challenge Cylanni all the time,” he said.

“Oh, and she can? What makes her so different from me?” Altielle said letting the implication linger. She was tired of Talathar’s pity. He treated her like a delicate flower because of her condition. It only made her feel pathetic.

“You know I didn’t mean it like that. I’m tired of you two fighting all the time. Cylanni should stop instigating you too.”

They both went silent, taking in the sight of the dome beyond the city. The bright pink semi sphere stood as a reminder of their achievements as a people: Their ability to survive and create beauty. It sparked such imagination from all of them, inspiring abstract paintings and dazzling sculptures.

“Remember when we were kids and we would sneak out to that cave over by the First Arcanist’s abode?” he asked.

“Yeah I do,” she mumbled, still fuming over their colleague’s treatment of her. “We pretended we were outside and camping out in the cave before leaving for our next adventure.”

“Every time you’d ask me what I thought it looked like out there,” he said with a smile on his grey lips. Altielle crossed her arms, shivering. In spite of the cold, she couldn’t help but smirk.

“You had the lamest imagination,” she said, chuckling.

“What are you talking about? I went into depth each time,” he said with a grin.

“You thought it was just a forest. And not even a colorful one at that,” she reprimanded.

“Well what other colors do you think it might be? Trees are night colored. There’s no such thing as an orange tree, Alt,” he said.

“I’m just sick of purple. Everything’s either purple or some shade of blue. At least the sky is breaking the mold by being pink,” she said, pointing to the shield overhead.

“Pink is a shade of purple.”

“Oh, thanks for that!” Altielle punched Talathar playfully on the shoulder. The two of them joined in soft laughter. Their snickering was followed by silence, interrupted only by the water dripping from her wheelchair and the lap of the sea against stone.

The clatter of her teeth rang out and distracted Talathar from whatever thoughts he was having. He looked down, smiling with gentle compassion.

“Are you cold?” he asked.

“No,” she lied. Naturally, he saw right through it, pulling off a vestment layer and applying it around her shoulders.

“Come on, let’s get you back to the academy,” he said, pulling on her chair. He rolled her down towards the Midnight Court. After passing through the enormous gate, Altielle held up a hand.

“Wait.”

“Yeah?” he said, halting in his tracks just in front of a fountain.

“I don’t want our master to see me like this,” she admitted.

“We can’t stand out here. You’ll catch a cold,” he said.

Altielle took a moment to consider her options. What she was about to suggest was a private part of her life that no one had ever heard from her. In spite of this, she knew that if she told anyone, it would be Talathar.

“There was this place,” she began. “Before Master Nalissan found me and took me in. I used to go there for solitude. It was quiet and warm. Great place for a nap.”

“Show me the way,” Talathar said. The fact he did not question her at all gave her comfort. She made the right choice.

“Down the stairs, by the canals. Take a left at the statue of Elisande.”

He followed her directions, taking her to the bottom of the terrace. Her chair’s arcane levitators activated as they descended, keeping her from feeling the hectic bumps of the steps. When they came to face a statue of the Grand Magistrix they took a left. He paused once more beside a bed of violet and red flowers.

“Now?” he asked.

“Into that hole,” she pointed to a dark archway between two towers. Cobwebs sucked in with a constant groan of air from the tunnel entrance.

“Uh, that’s just a drainage system,” he said, giving her a curious look.

“No it isn’t,” she said, smirking at the thought she knew something that he didn’t. Even Cylanni didn’t know about this place.

Shrugging, Talathar climbed in first, then eased Altielle down with him. It was dark inside. The entrance was elevated above the rest of the passage, cutting off what little light could have cascaded inside. They were fully immersed in darkness.

“Now what?” he asked from the shadows, sounding close to her ear.

“Just go forward,” she said cheerily. Her chair moved further, eventually finding a new light source on the other side. It started as a faint, cool glow. Then it brightened into a strong source of radiance.

A blue thread of energy funneled from a hole in the ground up into an arcane device attached to the ceiling. All around, a school of mana wyrms danced playfully through the field. Talathar’s face was agape with awe, which made Altielle giggle.

“What is this place?” he asked with wide eyes.

“No idea. I think it’s one of those old leyline stations from before the Nightwell. It’s warm, isn’t it?” She held out her hands, rubbing them together as she bathed in the heat generated by the arcane power. Talathar reached up and brushed a hand against a mana wyrm. It was surprisingly docile, likely from the ample energy to feed on.

“How did you find it?” he muttered, mesmerized by the raw magic present.

“I enjoyed exploration when I was little. The commoners here bored me, so I found more entertainment in the arcane,” she said.

Altielle wanted to tell him she slept here every night. She wanted to tell him it became her home where she avoided the desperate people of the streets. It was the sanctuary of a girl alone in the city, without family to care for her.

She said none of that, only smiling and nodding at him as he gushed over the mysteries this place held. There was certainly more she’d explored beyond the leyline. It even led into a part of the Arcway.

She told him none of that either. For now, she was content to sit in her chair, listening to her only friend express his excitement over their shared experience. For an instant, it felt like they were just two kids hiding out again, both cross legged on the floor watching the mana wyrms play.

Altielle hung onto that instant for dear life, as if it were the only feeling that could keep her afloat in her sea of doubt.

3 Likes

Great reads, both of you. I certainly don’t mind posting in older prompts. :3

1 Like

Circe, she called the succubus. She had a true name, a name she insisted was too long and complex to be uttered by mortal tongues, that she refused to share with her new mistress. She had only recently bound the sayaad into her service, and the demon had proved extremely effective in battle. She had asked the demon to give her a name to call her by. The demon had disdainfully replied that it mattered not what she called her. She suggested Circe, which prompted her unlikely new ally to ask why she had selected such a name. She told her the old human myth, of an enchantress on an island in the South Seas who seduced men and turned them into her servants, and the sayaad consented to her new epithet.

She still wasn’t entirely sure why she had brought the demon here - her uncharacteristically quixotic notion seemed too fragile a possibility to gamble on.

The crumbling timbers marked the outline of what once was a chapel, slowly being reclaimed by the diseased forest. The land still held something of its old grace, twinges of pain pricking as she stood on the holy ground. She ignored the sensation. In time, it would fade. Blighted as the land was, it didn’t seem likely that anyone would come back to rebuild.

She gestured towards the crumbled old structure.

“Here I stood as a mortal. This is where my husband and I made our vows to each other, in front of the people we loved, in this place of the Light.”

Slanted, fey, fel-green eyes sparkled with amusement. “I would have thought it was… profane, almost, for one such as you to speak of your Light?”

“It’s true, I have abandoned my old ways. I didn’t ask for this curse, but I’ve made a new life with it.” She paused. “However, that doesn’t mean I no longer respect my old traditions. I fight for many reasons. For the Dark Lady, for Lordareon… and for those who will come after me.”

“Such noble sentiments!” While her tone was mocking, she began to pace around the structure, eyeing it curiously.

“My old life is as alien to me as Azeroth is no doubt to you now. But that doesn’t mean it’s no longer a part of me. Special memories, places. They give humans motivation, purpose. Even we undead ones.”

She looked at the fractured, rotting old timbers, and felt a sharp, intense wish that she’d passed on with him. With all of them. She closed her eyes. One day. When I pass beyond the veil, I will find you.

When she raised her face to look at to look at the prowling demon, she was calm. “Come, I have one more place to show you.” She walked over to her skeletal steed, the bony creature regarding her with empty eyes.

Circe claimed to not need a horse, and she kept unflagging, preternatural pace with the Forsaken and her mount. They travelled silently under the dark green canopy, the only sounds the distant howls of a band of darkhounds.

When they came to the former site of the town, she slowed the horse. The steed carefully picked his way through the rubble. They stopped at the ruins of a cottage just outside the former town centre.

“What, pray tell, do you wish me to see here?”

“To tell you about a different place. This is where I became Scourge. I did many terrible things before Sylvanas freed us… But this was the first. Where I consumed that damnable poison, died, and rose a monster.”

The sayaad’s features were arranged in an expression of boredom that looked too contrived to be sincere. She sensed that the demon was listening very carefully.

“After the Forsaken broke free, I came back here. I reclaimed what was mine. What was once a cottage for two living newlyweds became my home, a place where I gained power and control over what I’ve become. I wanted to give in to my dark mindless impulses, to roam and rip and destroy, but that would have been… counterproductive. I’ve no wish to meet the true death yet.”

There was something in Circe’s eyes, a disquieting question. “I sense your tale is just about done, my lady,” she hissed, adding a mocking curtsey. “If you are done, may I take my leave until you summon me next?”

“My point is this - I had no more choice in being reborn into the Scourge than you did in serving the Legion. But now I am no longer mortal, nor Scourge. The world - my world - is larger, infinite paths beckon, and your world can be larger, too.”

The sayaad said nothing. The mocking cast had left her eyes, and she had ceased pacing. She merely stood, watchful and so still, tendrils of evening mist threading around her feet.

“Join me, as an ally, not a slave, and this will be our bargain. Together we’ll make our own paths. We will protect what we can, and seek power and knowledge.

Your past shapes you, too, influences you, but it doesn’t have to be who you are today.

If you don’t want this bargain, I’ll take you to Outland. The barrier between the nether and the mortal plane is thin, there. I’ll leave you, free to do as you will.”

“And what of your Warchief?”

“The Dark Lady offers freedom to her subjects. I serve her. She is my queen above all.”

She seemed to ponder the warlock’s words. Moments turned into minutes, and she thought that Circe would refuse.

“Perhaps for a while I will journey with you, for a while, and see what your Azeroth holds.”

I’ve made a deal with a literal devil, Arinnatheir thought, not without a glimmer of dark amusement. Here’s hoping it doesn’t end with me in a pile of fel ash.

2 Likes