[Prompt] Relaxation

ah

Crap wrong toon.

It has been a long day doing whatever it is that you do. Starting tomorrow, you have a few days with nothing planned. What do you do to spend your time? What hobbies do you partake in? Do you go on a sort of trip? Do you relax at home and read? Do you camp outside? Spend the time with family and/or friends? Visit a loved one? What do you do on this downtime? Or is no time down time to you?

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules. I ask that posts be limited to two or three, as much longer is more like a short tale probably befitting it’s own thread.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfect match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in here as well. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

lol

Since I made the thread on the wrong toon, I’ll reply on the wrong toon. Two wrongs make a right… right?

Mortre let out a long sigh as she entered the cavern that was her home. Her venture had finally ended and she was determined to spend some time recovering. Sterixia came charging in right behind her, in her netherdrake form. She wiggled and skipped through the room, and then settled down on the opposite side of the lava pool in the center.

Mortre smiled as she watched Sterixia settle in for a nap. She yawned and stretched as she considered one herself. First, some well earned bath time. Mortre shed her mortal guise in favor for her long, lithe black dragon frame. She stepped into the lava pool and slowly sank in, with just her head sticking out. It was deep enough that she could relax on the bottom and just let the viscocity of the lava hold her head above. She shut her eyes and let the warmth of the liquid melt away her aches and pains. Her mind wandered to think of nothingness. Just absent bliss and peace.

Mortre decided to take her nap that way. She awoke warm and refreshed hours later as a familiar voice echoed down the tunnels of her home.

“Moooorty?” Tolbyas’s sing song tone reverberated in the earth.

Mortre felt her heart warm like the lava around her. She climbed out of her lava bath and her form shifted back to her humanoid visage. She straightened her robes and started making her way to the tunnel entrance.

“Sterixiaaa. I brought a friend!” Tolbyas laughed, still down the passage. Shadowwing’s coo was heard.

Sterixia bolted up, her body wiggling in excitement. She hopped where she sat as her eyes remained on the tunnel exit.

Finally, Tolbyas atop Shadowwing exited the tunnel into the cavern. Tolbyas waved at Mortre as he slid off Shadowwing’s back. As soon as Tolbyas was off, Shadowwing hopped playfully. He darted back down the tunnel and Sterixia gave chase after him.

“Hey!” Tolbyas smiled at Mortre. “Hope you weren’t planning something important.”

Mortre chuckled as she embraced the elf. “Just a bath. Otherwise… My week is free.”

1 Like

With light footsteps Asana wandered among the silent narrow aisles of the great library of Dalaran. The public one that is, she was of course not allowed in the Kirin Tor’s secret archives where the truly valuable things were kept. The massive shelves towered above her to a ceiling that was barely visible and far out of reach. Each one packed to every inch with dusty books and scrolls of so many varieties that she couldn’t begin to guess where they had found them all.

She turned a corner and finally found who she looking for. A small grotto was tucked away in the heart of it, lined with desks and comfortable blue chairs, as well as two large couches facing each other. A young human woman wearing dark pants and a plain white blouse sat at one of the desks scribbling something down. Asana noted her blonde hair still left in a perpetually messy state just as usual.

She smiled mischievously and crept over behind her. “Hi, Shannon!” she said right in her ear.

Shannon jumped so violently that it almost upended the desk. “Wha…Asana!” Her shock switching to surprise at recognition. “Can’t you ever just say ‘hello’ like a normal person? Every time!”

Asana chuckled and collapsed on a couch, rolling over on her stomach to face her. “Oh where’s the fun in that? I’m trying to teach you better listening skills.”

“And you need better social skills!” Shannon retorted playfully while rearranging her papers. Asana just raised an eyebrow at the hypocrisy of that statement, causing Shannon to blush faintly. “Oh hush. So what brings you here? It’s been awhile! You don’t visit as often as you used to.”

She shrugged. “I found myself with some free time and wanted to be somewhere quiet to relax. Then I remembered I have this wonderful friend who lives in just such a place! You know, if you wanted to see me you could always try leaving the library once in awhile.”

Shannon looked mildly perplexed. “Why would I do that? All of the books are here! My superiors keep nagging me though. They keep telling me the same thing. ‘Get outside, Shannon. Stop reorganizing the books every other day!’ It’s just so bothersome you know, but I don’t really mind. I do go out for food at least every so often. There’s a wonderful place just down the street that makes the best desserts!”

Asana just watched her rattle on in amusement. This woman never did change. Much of the time she was so silent that she could be mistaken for a ghost, but get her going and she chattered on endlessly. It was pleasant conversation though. After all of the stress of recent months she somewhat understood how Shannon felt. Sometimes you just wanted to hide away for awhile and take a breath.

“Sounds fun, we should go together while I’m here! So what are you working on?” she asked, nodding to the papers on the desk that looked full of very dense complicated writing.

“Hmm? Oh!” Shannon clapped her hands and stood up. “It’s a new spell I’ve been inventing. I’m still experimenting with it, but here I’ll show you! I’m curious to see what you think of it.”

Asana sat up and nodded enthusiastically. “Let’s do it! Are you sure you should do it here in the library…?”

“It’s just an illusion is all. Completely harmless, don’t you worry. Now give me a moment.” Shannon held out her arms and crooked her fingers in a spell casting pose. She closed her eyes and began muttering some mysterious incantation under her breath. Asana waited patiently, interested to see what was going to happen.

After about half a minute Shannon held her palms to her lips and blew into them. From seemingly nowhere a torrent of bubbles erupted from her hands and filled the open space rising above. There were dozens of them, some as small as an apricot and others as large as a cannonball. They all glowed with luminescent rainbow colored light that seemed to shift and change with every passing second. Refracting off each other in a spectacular light show.

Asana looked on in wonder as they lazily floated around them and down some of the aisles. “That’s incredible, Shannon! They’re beautiful.”

Shannon grinned in unashamed pride. “Right? It’s more just a simple parlor trick, but still interesting to see. I’m actually pretty surprised too. This is the first time it came out so well!”

“Perhaps I’m your good luck charm then.” She watched one rainbow bubble in particular float just a foot in front of her face. Curious, she reached out with her finger and touched it. Instantly the bubble burst in a loud thunder-like boom, followed by a shock wave of air that slammed her with so much force she was blown backwards over the couch.

She landed hard on the floor behind it. “Ow…what the hell was that?!” Her gaze looked up at the bubbles above them. The detonation didn’t just hit her, it also scattered the rest directly towards each other. As if time slowed down her instincts kicked in and she saw what was about to happen. “Shannon, get down!” She vaulted over the couch and without hesitation tackled her stunned friend to the ground.

A split second later a chorus of more deafening booms ripped through the space above. She felt each blast of wind reverberate through her body like a bell. It was over within seconds. Carefully, she let Shannon go and looked around to make certain it was over. “I think your spell might need more work…” she said jokingly.

Shannon was about to respond, but was cut off by a loud groan coming from the bookshelf near them. In horrified fascination they sat there and watched as it tipped forward and slammed into the one in front of it. A cascade of books tumbled off the shelves to the ground below. Yet to her amazement it didn’t stop there. Like a chain of titanic dominoes the second one fell as well…then the third, and the fourth. The fifth shelf thankfully seemed to end it when it defiantly didn’t budge. Huge clouds of dust erupted from the sheer volume of the collapse and coated both of them in choking grey powder.

Asana coughed heavily and grabbed Shannon, pulling them both farther back out of the danger zone. When it was over they gaped at the devastation of this once well organized wing of the Kirin Tor’s library. Almost everything had landed in great heaping piles on the floor beneath the fallen shelves. Without quite knowing why, she just started laughing and couldn’t stop. “Oh my, that was amazing! I mean we almost died and we might get banished for this, but that was worth it!” she stammered between breaths.

Shannon picked up a book and smiled sheepishly, her face glowing red with embarrassment. “So…um…would you like to be a wonderful person and help me put these back?”

She waited until she calmed down, her sides aching painfully now, then sighed regretfully. Well so much for relaxing in a quiet place with good company. Fixing this already looked like it would be a royal pain, but she was partially responsible for it… “Alright I suppose. But you should brace yourself, I think I hear them coming for us already.”

1 Like

:3 poor girls. So many books to fix, so little time lol

2 Likes

No more papers to grade, no students coming in to beg for a grade change, and no pointless staff meetings. Could it be that Winterveil break had actually come to Stormwind University? Ralph smiled as he walked up the stairs to his apartment in the mage quarter. As soon as he was past the door he set his bag down and yelled out " Honnneeeyyyy, Im home." to no one at all. With a snap of his fingers he was in a purple robe and grey sheep slippers that baah’d with each step he took to his small kitchen to make some jasmine tea- a pandaren friend of his got him hooked on the stuff. The Professor then baah stepped back to a comfortable lounge chair and picked up a tome and settled in for a long read of " Principles of Arcane Robotics" Ralph had a whole lot of nothing planned for himself. A bit atypical for this a-type personality. Perhaps he’d spend some time working on that masseuse robot that’s been collecting dust in his workshop, or crack that labyrinth box that he got as a gift last Winterveil from his boss. He mused over these options as his eyelids became heavier and heavier. So when he drifted off into a deep sleep in his chair, he didn’t notice the Rendorei peering at him from behind the curtains, knife glistening in the light of the setting sun…

2 Likes