[Prompt] Public Argument

Arguments are as they are, arguments. You and a friend, a loved one, a companion, are out for a meal at your favorite restaurant on Azeroth. Perhaps you are inebriated, or they are, but something strikes a chord. An off comment, drudged up pasts, something sparks the fire. Do you argue boisterously in the public eye of the restaurant, or are you trying to be hushed and quenching the fire? Are you embarrassed or do you care not? Do you wait to settle in a private setting?

Info

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfectly match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in the archive thread. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

Disclaimer: I cannot take full credit for every prompt. Some of these I create on my own, some are prompts I’ve seen that I’ve taken a WoW spin to, and some I’ve seen and used in the past, some are ideas spoken in passing between me and coworkers, or guildmates, or some are offered directly from folks on the forums. If I’ve been directly given a prompt from another person, I will credit them unless they do not want to. Otherwise, know some of these are gained through many means.

Archive: Kersia's Prompt Archive and Discussion

1 Like

Ravasha and her Mother are in a fancy restaurant in Silvermoon. They are seated and eating and drinking. They had been talking about the young woman’s childhood.

“… and the paths you and your sister have taken, shames our family. You should have been a mage like your other sisters. Those two are leading House Witchhawk now.” Viviaria said while cutting her lynx steak.

“Mommy, how could you say that? I want nothing more than to bring our family honor. Make us better and rising from our ashes.” Ravasha said tearful.

Viviaria looks annoyed. The woman puts down her utensils.

“Then how could you practice such a horrible profession? Why can’t you be a mage, you were so good at fire?” Viviaria asks.

“Because fire didn’t save me when the invader came and decimated us. I almost died.” Ravasha sips her alcoholic drink, she’d need it for this.

“Your magic is dangerous. Look at your complexion. You’re sick, dearest.” Viviaria looks concerned.

“You can’t be young and beautiful forever. You need to give up your dark path. Before the fel kills you.” Her Mother is pleading.

“Way to go. I want everyone to hear that.” Ravasha quips sarcastically.

“And it’s only a matter of time before they do. Your magic will only make you ugly. No man would want you.” Viviaria said.

“What if I wanna date a girl?” Ravasha smiled sweetly.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Dearest.” Viviaria scoffed and took a sip of water.

Ravasha sits in silence as they ate and drank. She knew the line about lesbianism would distract her conservative parent. She smiled a little. Ravasha went to take a sip from her alcoholic drink and Viviaria stopped her.

“Careful now. If you get drunk, you’ll cause a scene.” Her Mother warns.

Ravasha stood dramatically and threw down her utensils softly, but hard enough to make a clatter, and stared down Viviaria. She had enough. Her hands were balled up and she looked a little disturbed.

“First it’s my craft, then it’s my promiscuity, now it’s getting sloppy drunk? Mother please. I am your daughter and I love you but I will not be subject to abuse!” Ravasha said loudly.

The other patrons of the restaurant were looking at them and whispering. Ravasha looked around and blushed but stood her ground. If Mommy wanted drama, she would get it.

“I am sorry. Dearest, I only want what is best for you. Your path is dangerous and I can’t follow you. You’ll–” Viviaria starts.

“What? DIE? I’m not afraid. I’m more afraid of you. Mother, sometimes you make me feel… unwanted.” Ravasha confessed.

And then she left some gold on the table and walked out. She was polite when stating that she would only pay for her meal.

Viviaria was left alone at the table. She ate and drank in silence.

2 Likes