[Prompt] Mentor

“Hello?” A stranger approaches you. Do you respond?

If you do:

“Sorry to bother you, but you’re [NAME], right? I heard about you and I was kinda hoping you could mentor me! Will you take me under your wing? You don’t have to provide for me or anything, just teach me what you know!”

Do you do it?

Info

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfectly match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in the archive thread. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

Disclaimer: I cannot take full credit for every prompt. Some of these I create on my own, some are prompts I’ve seen that I’ve taken a WoW spin to, and some I’ve seen and used in the past, some are ideas spoken in passing between me and coworkers, or guildmates, or some are offered directly from folks on the forums. If I’ve been directly given a prompt from another person, I will credit them unless they do not want to. Otherwise, know some of these are gained through many means.

Archive: Kersia's Prompt Archive and Discussion

3 Likes

My character would be puzzled by this enthusiasm to be a monster. I think out of curiosity my character would lead this idiot to acherus via death gate and ask Highlord Darion Mograin to teach him.

We are looking for new recruits after all but as a deathlord i cant give special treatment and i got pet battles to do, gnomes to punt, pandaren to hug…
cant spend time on whelps.

1 Like

“Hello?”

A stranger, a young human man looking barely out of his teens, approached the old Gnome. The Gnome in question sat atop a short tombstone in the Stormwind Cemetery. His head bowed in contemplation. A black wide brimmed hat dipped low obscuring the old Gnome’s face, though did little to mask his ample gray beard. The old figure clutched a pipe bowl in one hand, the long stem of which disappeared behind the dipped wide brim of his hat. The old Gnome’s other arm tucked closely to his chest, bracing the arm that held his pipe. Though darkly robed, the old Gnome’s form appeared rather translucent to the young man as he timidly made his approach.

The old Gnome raised his head just enough to spot the stranger. The young man clasped a book with both hands as one might hold an improvised shield. A thing that amused the old Gnome, though he did not betray the fact. His steady cold gaze firmly held the young man who in turn halted his advance.

“Sorry to bother," The young man swallowed hard and cleared his throat. Ineffectively hiding his nerves. “…but yo-you’re Doctor Cailean Mahlr’D. Am I right?”

The old Gnome moved not a muscle for a long moment. Just as the young man began to squirm with unease and doubt about the wisdom of his approach, the rather translucent old Gnome offered a smile and pulled his pipe from his mouth to offer an answer. “I am indeed, lad.” His response hung for an awkward moment until the young man mustered the courage to continue.

“I’ve heard of you. About you.” He corrected himself quickly. “I-I saw you sitting here…” The young man nervously glanced down at Cailean’s tombstone seat, then quick back up at Cailean. “And-and I was, uhm, kinda hoping you could help me. Men-mentor me!” The young man hid nervously behind his book while he gathered his composure.

“You’ve heard of me?” Cailean questioned the young man. He spoke slowly with a soft tone. The young man answered with a firm nod of his head. “Strange. I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of you.” The old gnome reached his pipe down by the stem and lightly tapped the bowl against the heel of his shoe. A smoldering ember dropped from the bowl.

The nervous young man shook his head. “No-no… I can’t believe that you would.” The young man breathed deeply, calming himself. “I’m pretty well nobody.”

“Are you?” Cailean stated. The young man nodded hard. “Yes, I mean no, I’m not; but you’re not nobody.” Cailean squinted at the young man. He stumbled over himself, eager to explain. “Look at this.” He thrust the book he clasped toward Cailean. “They’re all of my notes, fro-from your reading. I mean, my reading. Your books. I’ve been reading your books.”

“My books.” Cailean stated flatly.

“Yes. I’ve been studying them. The ones you’ve written.”

“The ones I’ve written.” Cailean said.

The young man looked perplexed and awkward as he held aloft his own book that Cailean made no gesture to accept. “Yes.” He answered slowly, nodding his head.

Cailean pointed at the young man with his pipe stem. “The very books that were never published, and are currently being held within the secured vaults of the Conclave.”

The young man stammered. Cailean watched as he struggled to find an acceptable explanation. There wasn’t one to give. Those books had been locked away within the secured vaults, within a tiny barred room where many other heretical texts about the Shadow and the Void were kept. He had no business being there. He knew it, and he knew Cailean knew as much. So the young man did the only thing he could think to do. He meekly nodded. “Yes. Those would be the books.”

Cailean grunted, biting the pipe stem hard in his teeth. The old Gnome took the book the young man offered. Holding the tome flat on one hand, he pressed the palm of his other hand flat upon the cover, pressing the book between both hands. A glimmer of purple energy surged between Cailean’s palms. It coursed through the young man’s book. The tendrils of energy seemed to pull the light from around them, leaving them in a kind of dim bubble. As if a thick storm cloud had passed across the sun, though it was a clear afternoon. When Cailean was finished, he handed the book back to the young man. “Your theorems are preposterous. The basis for your conjectures are incorrect, rendering them nonsense. The core of your arguments are a rambling mess, boy. Absolutely incoherent. It seems you’ve completely missed the point of the exercise.”

The young man’s mouth worked, searching for where to begin with some kind of reply. “What… what exercise?”

“Every exercise!” The old Gnome hopped down from his perch atop the tombstone. His rather translucent form seemed to briefly become weightless before it fell to the ground. The young man marveled at the distraction. He didn’t recall hearing his feet hit the ground. “It’s as if you’d ignored the whole premise of the volume of my work.” Cailean marched past the young man toward the stone walkway. Baffled, the young man called out to him. A final desperate plea as the old Gnome walked away.

“Please! Will you take me under your wing?” The young man scrambled behind the old Gnome, the likes of which was now using a short walking stick despite quite obviously not needing the use of one. The young man’s mind hesitated. He wanted to ask where that walking stick had come from. He clearly didn’t have it before. What dose Cailean even need a walking stick? What happened to the sound of his foot steps!? The urgency of the situation ignited a deep panic that made him push all of this aside. He called out to Cailean. "You don’t have to provide for me or anything, just teach me what you know!”

The old Gnome paused at the stone path. “My dear lad, of course I will teach you.” Cailean leaned on his short walking stick. “Open your book and take note of your first lesson.”

The young man scrambled to search his book pouch for the ink pen he carried with him at all times. Finding it he quickly opened his notebook to find a blank page… only to find that they were all blank. Every single page was a pristine white. The young man’s mouth hung open. He stammered. “Not a single…” ink stroke was upon them. He looked up at Cailean with a mixture of alarm and confusion.

Cailean firmly declared. “Lesson one. Never approach a strange specter in any graveyard, for any reason, unless you are quite certain that the spirit is who you think them to be. Otherwise your mind may end up as your book. Wiped clean of all knowledge and knowing. Your precious secrets, your memories, your wisdom, everything that defines you as a person. Gone forever. Be always wary and suspicious of everyone. Question everything. If you don’t, you’ll become as lost as all the other gibbering fools to eldritch madness.”

The young man glanced again down at the blank pages of his book. A book he had painstakingly filled with notes, diagrams and sigils for the better part of the past year. How did it…? Where…? He glanced up at Cailean and found that the old Gnome had vanished. Running to where Cailean had been standing, he suddenly felt an overwhelming chill in the air despite standing in the sunlight. He glanced around the tombstones and searched up and down the stone path. He was gone. Vanished.

Exasperated, the young man stumbled to a tree and lowered himself to a stone bench beneath it. He stared wide eyed into some vague distance for a time before he finally blinked his eyes back to reality. He looked down at his book. He gently opened the cover and found scrawled upon the first page were the very words Cailean had spoken to him. In the space near the bottom of the page were the added words: No one ever succeeds. Not even I. The madness will eventually consume you. The best hope, the only hope, anyone who seeks The Shadow has is to stave off their impending doom for as long as they draw breath. Then pray to whatever gods you choose that the Void doesn’t claim you at the end, for it most assuredly will. It is inescapable, as surely as death. But perhaps, as I have, you will find a modicum of solace for yourself when you at last slough this mortal coil. Ponder your wish carefully, Edward. If this is truly your desire… you will know how to find me.

Edward. “But I never…” told him my name. As Edward held the book open Cailean’s signature scrawled itself upon the foot of the page as surely as the old Gnome were standing there signing it himself, but with an unseen hand.

The book fell from Edwards hands and landed open, face down upon the cemetery grass. There it remained, while Edward fled.

3 Likes

Ravasha was used to being approached by people who wanted to hurt her. She was in Zuldazar at the Great Seal and headed to the Terrace of Crafters. On the way there, a young woman of the Goblin persuasion approached her. She instinctively flinched but the stranger was already within range.

“Sorry to bother ya, but you’re Iridessa, right? I heard about ya and I was kinda hoping you could mentor me. Will ya take me under your wing? You don’t have to provide for me or anything, just teach me what ya know! Do we got a deal, Miss Iridessa?” The Goblin woman asked.

It would be rather entertaining to see what lessons this young woman learns from me. If she has any attunement to Fire or Shadow magics this becomes infinitely more fun. But first, I should remind her what we’re dealing with.

“We have to go to the forest outside.” And then they went safely out of the city to the forest surrounding it.

“First, I wanna remind you, that I don’t play around. Do you know Fire Magic and/or Shadow Magic?” Ravasha asked.

Her pupil nodded. The Goblin girl was dressed in a black and gold set of robes and had skull hair clips in her hair. She first shot a Shadow Bolt at a tree, which impacted with a blunt force, shattering rings in the bark. And then she followed up with an explosion of fire where she just struck, which cracked the tree more.

“I’m a Warlock in training. Moxie Rocketblast, at your service Lady.” Moxie curtsied after introducing herself.

Okay, this is gonna be easy, teaching another Warlock. I guess I’ll start with a particularly more challenging lesson. Ravasha thought.

“Cast a curse on one of the dinosaurs that roam nearby. Kill it and return to me.” Ravasha said.

“Wait a second! Ain’t you comin’ too?” Moxie asked.

“Yes, I suppose I’ll assist you.” Ravasha looked for a target.

She found an ankylodon and pointed towards it. Her student got closer and cast a Curse of Weakness and then the dinosaur crashed its tail into her and knocked her down. Ravasha took the time to channel a Chaos Bolt at the creature, which caused the beast to stumble, but it wasn’t down yet. Ravasha’s student pummeled the ankylodon with Shadow Bolts while running away every time it got too close.

Eventually, the beast was dead.

“What was I supposed to learn from all of that?” Ravasha’s student asked.

“That tomorrow we’re going to have a special skull that will fetch a high price from my employer. From there I can buy reagents for our next lesson.” Ravasha said mysteriously.

She was only going to summon a demon and have her student duel it.

The next morning Ravasha created the summoning circle. She crushed Soul Shards and let the dust fall on the summoning circle. A portal opened and a succubus emerged. She was dressed in little more than a bikini-style outfit with armor on her shoulders and legs. Her shoulder pads had skulls set in gaping expressions.

“Now, fight this succubus, by yourself.” Ravasha said.

Moxie wasted no time. She cast a Curse of Agony on the succubus and then started blasting her with Shadow Bolts. The succubus dodged and weaved through some of them, but some of the bolts of Shadow energy struck her. She suddenly burst into flames as Immolate was cast on her.

The succubus got close enough and kicked at the little Goblin woman. Her kick was filled with unholy strength. The Goblin woman was knocked back and got up slowly. The succubus had already started running towards her and whipped her several times with a shadowy whip, then went invisible.

The Curse of Agony caused her concentration to break and she reappeared soon enough. Moxie was quick as she could back to her feet. She fired a rocket at the succubus. It struck her and she could take no more as the smoke from the explosion cleared.

“What should I have learned outta that?” Moxie asked Ravasha.

“That you’re worthy to fight strong opponents and have my favor 1 more day.” Ravasha said haughtily.

The last day Ravasha had Moxie sneak into a rival’s camp and stab her to death with her dagger. The dagger took her soul. Ravasha’s lesson for this was that if she wished to be a permanent student, she should decide now. She handed over a powerful robe that would enhance Moxie’s abilities with the sealed soul of a demon of flames and agony. Moxie opted to remain in Ravasha’s tutelage.

“Then next we’re going for a walk. That has no special lesson. It’s just… walking.” She said deadpan.

3 Likes

With another day finished, Raya sat as she always did at her desk. Mulling over the days papers, she sat idly twirling a lock of her hair and humming a familiar tune while she graded the reams of tests she always gave out. Her students who had filled the tiered seats of the classroom had departed an hour ago and even the background din of people milling about the halls outside had dissipated to a residual echo.

She was pulled form her thoughts by a soft knocking upon the ancient oak door; thunderclaps in contrast to the near total silence of the still room. With a casual gesture from a bandaged hand the door opened as she turned to regard the intruder to her peace and quiet.

The human that stood framed in the door looked to be in his early twenties wearing clothes that were clearly of noble stature. Short, trimmed, black hair and a small goatee framed a face that probably made him attractive among other humans, but his face wore a nervous smile that seemed out of place, as though he had never been nervous in his life before this moment.

“Profes…” he started before she cut him off, “Shut the door, you are letting the cold air in.” He wasn’t; this was Dalaran, where even the seasons were controlled by magic. Seizing every opportunity to keep people off-guard was an old survival reflex that reared its head periodically. It was mean she knew, but it told her he was nervous enough to not be thinking critically as he quickly shut the door stammering a volley of apologies, then stood there looking embarrassed.

As he stood wordlessly for a moment that seemed to stretch on, Raya strummed her fingers on her desk impatiently. “You were saying?” Panic briefly crossed his face as he tried to recall what he had actually come here for.

“Ahh, err, yes. Right. Sorry… My name is Bren Orden, I am a student here, though not in your classes…” “I am Aware” she interrupted, inwardly chiding herself for old habits.

He took a few cautious steps towards her “Yes, of-course… I, I came to ask, to see if you would be willing to mentor me…” Raya let out an exasperated sigh and was about to refuse when he continued “In the Fel…” This time it was her turn to be caught off guard, “The Fel?!” “I wouldn’t need lodging, and money is no object!” he said hurriedly “And I already know some fel magic!”

She had been about to flatly refuse when his second declaration made her narrow her eyes suspiciously. “Someone I know told me you were a powerful warlock and that you had taught him about the fel”, he continued.

“Someone told you, I tutor in the fel. And that you, should speak to me .” Her tone held an edge suggesting he should choose his next words carefully, but if he noticed, he didn’t seem to heed the warning as he continued. “Well… actually, when he found out about my dabbling he referenced your classes for why it was stupid and dangerous.”

Raya visibly relaxed, although with his lack of attention to detail, she doubted he picked up on it. “Let me see if I have this right. Someone tells you that I teach that the fel is dangerous, and you decide that must mean I am secretly a powerful warlock looking for a pupil. Am I correct?”

“Not uh, exactly… The methods he said you used to hammer home your point, made me suspect that you might be more than just someone who survived their dabbling.” he said hopefully. She looked him over critically trying to decide on a course of action “You say you have some skill already?” His nervousness melted away and he exclaimed “That’s right!” as though he had passed some secret initiation ritual.

Raya rose from her chair and moved around her desk, “Show me.” she said stepping toward the large empty area of the classroom. “Umm now? He said concerned. “Yes” She paused, raising an eyebrow questioningly, “Did your ideal vision of how this encounter would go really have me not test you, or at-least request a demonstration?” she said with a hint of amusement.

“I guess I assumed you would be impressed with my bravado?” he tried with a nervous chuckle. “So… how do you want me to demonstrate what I can do?” “I will summon a demon and you deal with it”, she stated bluntly. “And if I defeat it, you will take me as a student?” The nervous smile returning to his face. She responded only by indicating a spot on the other side of the room for him to stand.

As he took his place, Raya raised her arm above her head, her hand formed like a rigid talon towards the sky above. Near the ceiling a small hole in space appeared. With a twist of her wrist, the hole was wrenched wide open. “I would hope that being a student here, you know what this is.” she said flatly as a green and black meteor streaked out of the portal and crashed into the floor before her as she stared into his eyes unflinchingly.

From the crater a golem standing twelve feet tall, made of black obsidian and green fire ponderously clawed its way out to stand between the two. “Tha…that’s an inf… inf…” “An Infernal” she finished for him “A construct, resistant to magic and all but the most potent weapons. The person who taught me likened controlling one to stopping a boulder rolling down a mountain with your mind alone.”

“But, but, I was expecting an imp or something…” he stammered all coyness and shy bravado disappearing from him instantly. She was glad to see he was smart enough to be afraid

“Are you expecting me to try to control it?” She was so caught off-guard by the absurdity of the notion that she actually laughed. “Now that would be impressive” she said with a chuckle before the familiar mask of sternness returned. “But no, I expect you to try and prevent it from killing you.”

His eyes widened in horror, but to his credit he didn’t waste time trying to argue or beg as the towering golem immediately charged him. Both his hands pulled back into fists that glowed with a dark purple light before letting loose a pair of shadowbolts. She watched on casually, hand on her hip as the bolts flew true and hit the construct in the chest… then bounced off ineffectually.

She found herself slightly impressed that he had not stood waiting to see his spells land. Instead of being pummeled to paste like so many aspiring warlocks she had seen, he was already leaping aside as the Infernal’s fist plunged into the floor where he had been standing. Shadow proving ineffective, he tried taking advantage of its arm being stuck in the floor by loosing a spear of ice. But was caught by surprise when the Infernal simply batted the spear away with its free arm while plowing its fist through the floor like it wasn’t there to send him flying backwards into the wall.

The infernal wasted no time chasing him across the room, unflinching in its resolve to carry out her orders. Battered, bruised, and unable to get to his feet in time, he screamed in impotent rage while trying in a last ditch effort to stop its downward strike with telekinesis.

She watched knowing that the minor cantrip had as much effect as a slight breeze on slowing the deadly blow. Despite his bumbling initial request, she found her opinion of him growing from his display of quick wits, adaptability, and determination.

She snapped her fingers and the Infernal froze, its fist less than a foot from his face. “This is one of two lessons I teach on the fel” she said sternly. The very beings you will entreat for knowledge and power are all powerful beings in their own right. Many more powerful than the Infernal you “fought”. Many are ancient beyond even the comprehension of my people, but all of them from the lowly Imp, to the most powerful masters of the legion left the concept of normal mortal intelligence in the dust ages ago.”

She stared at his cowering form prone against the wall, while slowly unwinding the bandage from her right hand “Every. Single. One. Even those demons that are not a part of the legion have their own desires, ambitions, and plans, and your survival when dealing with them depends on you being more prepared than them.”

“You almost killed me!” he whined interrupting her as his terror subsided. All the positive ground he made in her opinion of him disappeared instantly. “EVERYTHING WITH THE FEL IS DO OR DIE.” she yelled without thinking, her hands balling into fists, as they shook with rage. Disappointed in herself for losing her composure, she dismissed the magic holding the infernal together. As he dodged the boulders of obsidian crashing down around him, she walked towards him letting the bandage from her hand fall to the ground.

When all was still, he uncovered his face to see her standing over him, silhouetted from behind by the fading light from the windows, her eyes glowing a vibrant emerald green. Before he could say anything she reached down with her left hand and hauled him up by his tunic and held him off the ground against the wall.

“Second lesson” she almost growled. “Mistakes with the fel are death, the stupid die, the really stupid take others with them, and the lucky ones die quickly.” She held her right hand up, balled tightly into a fist, in front of his face. He could only stare at it, her skin blackened and cracked as though it had burned in a fire, and undulating within the cracks a green glow the same color as her eyes. “The powerful ones merely forestall their deaths” she spat before dropping him and turning to pick the bandage up from the floor.

He sat on the floor afraid to move, thinking about what had just transpired while she carefully wound the bandage around her trembling hand once more. When he could stand the silence no longer he stood “Why go through all this trouble if you didn’t plan to mentor me?” She turned her head to glare at him. “Your path is your own to forge, nothing I could do save killing you would prevent you from pursuing this path. I just choose to make sure you don’t walk it blindly. Now, please leave, I have work to finish.”

Needing no more prompting he all but ran for the door, but stopped in the doorway, a question burning in his mind. “Professor?” he asked quietly, trying to ignore the intensity of her glare. “Which one were you?” She watched him wilt as her gaze intensified, “All of them” she said with a heavy sigh.

(edit, looks like my account finally caught up with the fact that im not subbed so this is prob my last for a bit!)

3 Likes