[Prompt] Guests

Guests. They come to your abode invited or not. Sometimes planned, sometimes random. How do you receive guests? Whether at your home or at your camp, what do you do when you have visitors of a friendly nature? Planned versus unplanned? Do you treat them to tea and biscuits and chat with them? Do you spar or train? Do you never entertain others at all?

Info

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfectly match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in the archive thread. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

Disclaimer: I cannot take full credit for every prompt. Some of these I create on my own, some are prompts I’ve seen that I’ve taken a WoW spin to, and some I’ve seen and used in the past, some are ideas spoken in passing between me and coworkers, or guildmates, or some are offered directly from folks on the forums. If I’ve been directly given a prompt from another person, I will credit them unless they do not want to. Otherwise, know some of these are gained through many means.

Archive: Kersia's Prompt Archive and Discussion

I would think that she would be somewhat surprised to see anyone while she was camped out, because if she was camped out whether it be because daylight was burning and she couldn’t make it to a nearby inn or if she was actually in a bed settling in for the night. It would seem strange to receive any “guest” at that point. A stranger, she would predict that it was some kind of urgent message, a call for some sort of group gathering, or an important task. If a stranger that is in her neck of the wood just by coincidence, it would cause her to be suspicious. Mainly because she’s a woman traveling alone in the wilderness, how would anyone know that she was there?

When she camps out it would be in a sleeping bag covered in some sort of sheets that is the same colors as the ground she’s laying on. Wearing a plated helmet that covers her whole face that still keeps her neck and spine straight, but also to hide her gender. Also, several traps might be surrounding her sleeping area for several reasons. One of those being any animals that are caught at night could be eaten for breakfast depending on what it was, people are less likely to step on her even though they might not know she’s there, and of course, a warning for enemies. She does sleep with her sword in her sleeping bag and only wears her small clothes inside it. So not really ready to receive a guest.

However, if it was someone, she knew she might let her guard down. Try to cook something a little hotter like fish, meat, or charred vegetables. If the guest was a male she might talk about adventures, quest, and monsters she might have killed, if female she might talk about rumors, relationships, or history. If night were about to fall and she and her guest grew tired, she might agree to take a 4-hour fire watch so her guest could sleep peacefully and then switch shifts.

In an inn things might go different, even with a stranger. She will still tell some tells of past events or make-believe stories but there might be alcohol and a hearty meal not cooked by her. There also might be some belligerent behavior on her part, some embarrassing confessions, and even some sloppy crying that she may or may not remember.

She wouldn’t consider herself an alcoholic because her father is an alcoholic that drinks everyday but in all actuality, she is, because she uses alcohol as a social crutch. So, a guest would be a reason to drink if she was in a city or town.

3 Likes

Ravasha was camping in the forest of Tirisfal Glades. A dreary place by her reckoning. She walked through the somber forest with her demon Selrida the succubus beside her.

“Mistress, I hear footsteps behind us. We may be being followed.” Selrida looked behind them, her glowing blue eyes seeking the owner of the footsteps and finding only the gloomy shadows.

Ravasha kept walking. Her appearance remained unchanged. She faked confidence so that whoever was following her would think they’re getting the drop on her. The footsteps grew closer and closer until a dagger was suddenly piercing the shadows and at her neck.

“Miss Blackdawn I presume?” A raspy voice said.

“Would you please put down that dagger? You’re going to cut yourself.” Ravasha admonished her attacker.

The Forsaken assassin laughed. She was dressed in black from head to toe, and a black veil came over her face. She carried two daggers in scabbards at her hips. She had skin as pale as death and her visible bones were charred and blackened.

The Forsaken woman brought her dagger closer to Ravasha’s neck. She drew a little blood and the Sin’dorei winced. Selrida didn’t dare act because her Mistress maybe killed. But she was looking for an opening, and since the assassin would have difficulties with the both of them, she struck at the assassin with her whip while her attention was on Ravasha.

The assassin was unfazed at the blow and continued to hold Miss Blackdawn at knife point.

“We’ve got some business to discuss. You said that Goblin bomb would have no difficulties or malfunctions. It prematurely detonated and I lost my arm.” The Forsaken woman frowned and momentarily looked at her missing left arm.

While she was distracted, Ravasha struck her with her staff, and Selrida whipped her multiple times. The succubus then tried to entangle the Forsaken woman with her whip! Restrained and seemingly helpless, the assassin keeps her cool, even smiling.

“What are you smiling about, my dearest unexpected guest? Your visit was a pleasure but I think I’m going to be rid of you.” Ravasha said.

“I’m smiling because we all need friends in this bleak and doomed world.” The assassin said mysteriously.

Suddenly a pistol shot rang out and Selrida went to block it from hitting her Mistress. The succubus sustained a wound on her right shoulder. She gasped and held her shoulder.

The second assassin lowered her gun and then charged at Selrida, knocking her down, and standing over her with her pistol aimed square at the demoness’s forehead. Ravasha looked back and saw the assassin standing over her pet. Momentarily distracted, the first assassin jammed her dagger towards Ravasha’s midsection, and Ravasha barely got out of the way in time!

“Tell me why you’re here or I’ll rain fire on us all. You won’t survive when I truly unleash my powers and you know it.” Ravasha threatened, flexing her slender fingers in preparation to crush her Soul Shards and begin her Rain of Fire spell.

“Go ahead and do what you want! I’ve come here to kill you today because of your defective product. And you call yourself a businesswoman.” The Forsaken assassin scoffed.

“And I’m gonna make sure your friend goes down with you. And we’re gonna crush your Soul Stone so you can never come back.” The second Forsaken assassin said.

Ravasha quickly backed up and stood in front of Selrida. The succubus was dripping blood and grinned evilly. She cracked her whip on the ground.

Ravasha raised her hands to the sky and a vortex of flames opened above them. Fire began raining down onto the Tirisfal Glades. Lighting up the night and blackening the grass below. The assassins dodge and weave nimbly, but they cannot escape burns, and they come out worse for wear yet seemingly unaffected beyond some damage to their equipment and skin.

“These Forsaken are resistant to damage. I’m going to have to retreat.” Ravasha said, motioning to Selrida to get moving.

The Sin’dorei and succubus take off away from the two assassins. They are pursued for a while before their huntresses give up and abandon tracking them for the night. Ravasha makes her way to Brill.

She is greeted on the way into town by her associate Lizitte. Lizitte is a Forsaken woman with long reddish hair and works as a healer. She greets Ravasha on her way to enter the town.

“Miss Witchhawk, what ha-happened to you? You look disturbed.” The Undead woman queries with concern.

“I met some people who weren’t too happy with the product my supplier gave me. Gonna have to have a word with Tizzia about her boss screwing me over again.” The Sin’dorei huffed.

“Do you need any hel-help with anything? I’m h-here for you while you’re in Brill!” Lizitte enthused.

“Yes, please. I need your help locating a wayward experiment of mine. If it’s not terribly inconvenient for you?” Ravasha asked.

“No, not at all. I-I just hope whatever your experiment is isn’t huge with sharp tee-teeth.” Lizitte stuttered with fear.

“You have one part correct.” Ravasha confirmed half of Lizitte’s fears.

1 Like