[Prompt] Friendly Confessions

Something is locked in your heart. A close friend visits you and you decide to confess this secret. Is it a dark and hidden bit of your past or something only you feel is a big deal? A crime you got away with or a secret crush you could never confess to? Is this friend going to truly keep your secret?

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules. I ask that posts be limited to two or three, as much longer is more like a short tale probably befitting its own thread.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfectly match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in here as well. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

“Kersia sighed as she unhooked Vynianyx from the helmet she had made. The helm was enchanted to place the wearer in a dream-like state to test a simulation of their life. To test theories of how things may have been could have been. Kersia had hoped the druidess would provide valuable data on the project to see what details needed to be fine-tuned and severity of her spell weaving. She knew now as she pulled the piece from the trembling, tear-soaked woman, that she had miscalculated something.

Vyn pulled her knees to her chest and cupped her face into her hands as Kersia enchanted a blanket to be a calming warm temperature and wrapped it around her. Kersia didn’t much care for this part of her experiments going wrong, but Vynianyx was a valuable subject. She didn’t want to lose that between them.

“What…” Kersia paused as she tried to stifle the glimmering curiosity in her mind and seem objectively concerned. “What happened?”

Vynianyx regarded her for a moment, the once brilliant amber of her eyes a dull orange blue. “I can’t change anything.” She sputtered after a few moments.

Now Kersia was curious. Her spell was meant to create an environment to see how life would play out with those what-ifs. How could she not change something? Had Kersia miscalculated a part of the spell? “What do you mean, couldn’t change anything?”

“I choked.” Vyn buried her face again. “Kersia…” Vynianyx shook.

“Vyn…” Kersia tried to rub the druidess’s back, unsure what was appropriate to do. Choked? Was she attacked in there?

“I just can’t…” She heaved a heavy breath. “Nordaria turns, and I just freeze. I can’t tell her how I feel. I can’t change a damn thing!”

Kersia realized then, to her relief, that her spell wasn’t the issue here. Her test subject was. She needed a younger subject. Someone with less baggage or emotion perhaps. Maybe Xinaria would be a better choice?

Without prompting, Vynianyx just continued to speak. “I… I loved her, Kersia. I never told her. I never said how much she meant. And it was too late when I realized I should have. Now… Now looking at her smiling, I just feel… sadness. I can’t get the words out. I just choke.”

“There there.” Kersia scowled as she spoke, but she did so outside of Vyn’s peripheral vision. “You know how her tale plays out. So it gets in the way.” Perhaps she should install a spell to adjust the wearer’s memory? That way the wearer won’t falter at knowing how the present is, and just lives in that past. But then, how would they know what to alter? A peculiar conundrum.

“I just wish I could… hold her again for real, you know? I wish I told her how much she meant. I wish I never…” Vynianyx buried her face once more. “I wish I never killed her… I wish we could have reasoned.”

Kersia mentally rolled her eyes as she helped Vynianyx stand finally. “Go. Take a good, real nap and clear your head. It was a trying experiment.” Kersia guided her to the cot she kept for those staying over and made her lay down. “Try not to let it get to you. We are done, for now, I think I’ll fine tune it some more and ask another to test.”

Vynianyx looked up at her, her expression more resolute. “Please! Let me try again when you tune it. I have to finally tell her how I felt!”

Kersia pulled away, surprised by the sudden shift. “It’s just a simulation in your mind. It changes nothing.”

“But…” Vynianyx paused for a moment. “It at least… at least I get to see it.” She turned towards the wall. “Kersia.” She nearly whispered as she pulled the blankets close. “Don’t tell anyone about this.”

Kersia chuckled. “I won’t.” She smirked as she looked down on the elf moping in the bed. “At least, I’ll keep your name out of the papers when I submit my research,” Vynianyx growled at that comment. “I kid, I kid.” Kersia shook her head. “Kinda.” She teleported out before Vyn could say another word.

2 Likes

((On mobile so there may be some format errors or grammatical mistakes, but I wanted to write a more cheerful story over break))

The moons hung bright in the sky over Greywatch–the Stormheim weather surprisingly clear for a change, though carrying a chill. Not many were stirring at this late hour, save for the guards posted for the second watch.

Yet there was one in camp that was defying sleep–a quel’dorei sorceress dressed in simple fur-lined mage robes, with her silvery-blue tresses pulled back in an elegant braid. She seemed to be intently studying one of the books on the desk inside her makeshift study, which was little more than a tastefully decorated tent near one of the compound’s walls. Unlike the other books in her study, this book appeared to be a simple prayer tome that a paladin would carry, judging by the more ornate protective case accompanying it.

Khynareth leafed through the pages, eventually closing the book and locking it back in the case, her fingertips lightly brushing the name engraved into a small plaque on the spine. She tilted her head to the side, studying the libram case for a fww more moments, then casting a curious look towards the doorway. Very likely, the owner of the book was out there on guard duty, and would likely appreciate it having back, although why such a one as him would have this, she wasn’t entirely sure. Perhaps she might have attributed it to the man’s near-death experience with the local pirates…if she hadn’t seen him carrying it upon his first arrival at Greywatch. There was more to this one than met the eye, that much was certain, though some things were more easily observed than others. She glanced back at the name, a small smile tugging at the corner of her mouth as she fastened a warm cloak about her shoulders. Carefully, she tucked the case underneath an arm and stepped outside.

It didn’t take long to locate the book’s owner, though it was a bit of a walk to reach him given his position atop a small rise overlooking the outpost. He was clad in heavy plate, as one might expect from a paladin, but the large runeblade sheathed on his back told otherwise. Khynareth remained quiet for a few moments, studying the death knight before slipping up behind and giving him a soft tap on the shoulder. “Pardon me, but I believe this belongs to you, does it not? Morician T. Blackborne?”

The death knight yelped in surprise, nearly falling out off the rock he was sitting on as he stumbled to his feet, turning to face his visitor. “What in the…how…what…where did you…” He cleared his throat, kicking a nearby pebble as he focused on the libram case, doing his best to avoid eye contact. “You shouldn’t be here–you’re supposed to be asleep.”

Khynareth merely tilted her head to the side in amusement as she offered the libram case. “Perhaps,” she replied, nudging him with the case a couple times to prompt him to reluctantly take it. “But I couldn’t sleep, and remembered that I’d run across this while you were away. It seemed important, so I kept it safe.”

Morician remained silent, his frosty blue gaze locked on the libram case as he inspected it for damage before sheepishly hooking it back onto his belt. “T-thank you…” he finally managed to whisper, briefly meeting her eyes for a moment, before quickly looking away. He turned back to resume his post, though he remained standing this time.

Khynareth allowed herself a slight grin as she continued studying the knight, making no effort to leave. Very interesting, this one. Certainly entertaining to watch, and quite an enigma to puzzle over. At the least, studying him would help keep the dullness of Greywatch at bay, for a time.

“You never mentioned a middle name,” she ventured, picking her way over to stand at his side. Morician shifted uncomfortably, scooting over to leave a larger gap between them.

“Not…really somethin’ I go tellin’ people, ma’am…” he replied, before hastily adding, “Not that you’re not people, because you are…but…uh…”

“Is it Thomas?” She arced a feathery eyebrow, leaning over to meet his eyes with an inquisitive look. “Or perhaps Todd or Timothy? Those are common human names, are they not?”

Morician swiftly looked down, shaking his head as he intently began studying the armored toes of his boots. “Tiberius…” he mumbled, embarrassment evident in his tone. “Doesn’t fit, I know.”

Khynareth tilted her head to the side once more, smiling for a moment at the reply. “I think it’s a fine name, and seems to suit you well.”

“It’s a hero’s name–belongs on a hero, not on me,” he replied quietly.

Khynareth frowned, several moments of uncomfortable silence passing as she debated a response. “I’m sorry if I offended,” she offered gently. “But…I did hear about your little foray against the pirates. I would say my previous comment still stands, even by your own logic.”

The apology was met with silence–the death knight continuing his vigil and staring straight ahead over the sleeping outpost. There was, however, a heaviness to his shoulders and a reluctance to his tone that betrayed the otherwise stony facade.

“I wasn’t lying when I said I couldn’t sleep,” she remarked softly, looking up towards the stars. “Though I suppose I wasn’t being entirely honest about my reason for venturing out tonight. In truth, you seemed lonely, so I thought I’d offer you some company after returning your book. It seemed to mean a lot to you, and I’m curious how you came about it, though if you prefer solitude I underst–”

“No…it’s…it’s fine…” Morician countered, finally managing to look the sorceress in the eye this time, if a bit nervously. “The extra pair of eyes would probably help…if you really want to help keep watch anyway. Um…I ain’t very interestin’ to talk to though, so you’ll probably just fall asleep anyway.”

“Well perhaps I should do the talking then, hmm?” Khynareth responded with a light chuckle, settling herself down on the nearby rock. “After all, I don’t believe I’ve yet introduced myself. I am Khynareth Skyshatter…”

1 Like