[PROMPT] Dragon Isles

((Let’s start again with an easy one))

The dragons of Azeroth have called for the brave and adventurous to venture to the Dragon Isles. Weave us a tale on your character’s thoughts, feelings, reasons for heeding or refusing the call. If they refuse to go, what are they doing instead?

Once, I used to post little character development and writing exercise prompts on a weekly basis. At some point, I was getting burned out. Between school and the game’s decline, I had lost my drive to write. Now I see the forumscape of the World’s End Tavern has changed a lot. No casual tavern threads. No lounge. No large RP story threads. Will we ever regain that? I don’t know.

What I do know is that most of those who visit here are writers and creators. So I thought I would revitalize my writing prompts. I am not going to promise a set timeline. I don’t want to get burned out again. Instead, I plan on posting at least one prompt a month or so. Maybe more.

These are meant to help exercise our creative writing muscles, develop our characters, and showcase some of our story telling. I do intend to read each and every one, though I may not always comment on all.

Finally, if you are interested in writing any of the prior prompts feel free to post which prompt and your story in this thread. Don’t want to anger the necrolords.

Archive: Kersia's Prompt Archive and Discussion

5 Likes

Kersia awoke with a start deep within her home in Stormwind. Arcane power flourished within her eyes as she took in her surroundings.

Was that a dream?

Kersia mentally grasped at the fading whisps of the dream she thought she had, but the whatever was there slipped away. She let out a long exhale as she roused herself fully from her sleep. With a wave of her hand, the books around her floated off to their proper places within her library. With another pulse of her arcane power, she blinked out of her library and back to her study.

Kersia stretched and opened her senses to the arcane power that wove the pocket dimension that was her home. Nothing seemed amiss within her various wards. So what roused her with such a force?

That is when a power pulsed through Azeroth’s leylines. Awakened. Home. A storm. The words flowed instinctively into her mind as she reached for the leyline. Kersia felt a throng of energy forming to the north west.

Unable to discern what was going on within her home, Kersia resolved to investigate outside around the city. She stepped through the doorway that connected to her arcane shop, and then out into the streets of Stormwind.

It was early morning, and yet the city was abuzz with activity. Which meant something was going on. Kersia made her way towards the trade district, a good place to see what was going on within the city. And that is when she saw it. The reason for the air of excitement.

“What is that?” Kersia’s eyes were on a strange, dragon like creature. Bipedal with wings and long tails.

A merchant heard her. “Dracthyr.” The man scoffed. “Some creature from a place called the Dragon Isles. Showed up suddenly.”

“Curious.” Kersia looked over the creature before her. It had a strange energy about it. “Wait. Dragon Isles?” She looked back at the merchant.

He shrugged. “Apparently there is an island that was hidden, calls have gone out to form up expeditions to it, and various military branches are forming to head there as well.”

“Even more curious.” Kersia made her way towards the harbor. The Dragon Isles… Tiana was born there.

“There you are.” A familiar voice called out behind Kersia.

Kersia turned to see a druidic friend. “Vyn! I didn’t know you were back in Stormwind.”

“I would assume you know the big news? The world is full of activity as the horde and alliance rally together to venture to the Dragon Isles.” The night elf smiled.

Kersia returned her smile, relieved that the past misgivings were now in the past. “Am I the last to know?”

“Well, the dracthyr arrived in Stormwind a few days ago with news about the isles.” Vynianyx shrugged. “I went to your shop but you never answered.”

“Mmm, I was deep in some research and fell asleep.”

“Are you going to go to the isles?”

Kersia frowned. “I am curious about these dracthyr and the isles, but I would rather wait for the mortals to satiate their exploration first and the flights to deal with whatever .”

Vynianyx’s eyes widened briefly in surprise. “I thought you would want to go support Kalec-”

“We gave up our connections as a flight years ago, I owe no support to any aspect.” Kersia scowled.

“Well, I am going. The explorer’s league needs all hands on deck and Illesta is eager to go to a new land.” Vynianyx put a hand on the fire cat at her side. The cat meowed in response, her fur burning brighter for a moment.

“Are any of the others going?”

Vynianyx thought for a moment. “Xinaria is already there, she went when Alexstraza called. Sylstyx is going as a healer for the field crews so she is waiting for me at the docks.”

“And Mortre?”

“I don’t know. I think she is still in Outland with her daughter and Tolbyas.”

Kersia’s brow furrowed as she thought. “Perhaps… mmm… Yes. Perhaps I can come as your assistant? I really am not interested in whatever Malygos left behind there, but maybe if I go with the explorer’s league I can still fill my curiosity.”

Vynianyx smiled. “We can be our own small exploration force. As long as you don’t run off and abandon us.”

“Ha! I would never!” Kersia put a paw over her heart. “You wound me.”

Vyn put a hand on Kersia’s shoulder. “You mean you wont again?” She cackled. “Anyway, when can you be ready?”

“I am always ready to depart.” A mischievous glint sparkled in Keria’s eyes. Vynianyx chuckle, glad to have talked the blue into going.

3 Likes

Oh I have not seen one of these in such a long time. This is going to be fun…

Bowen was enjoying some welcomed time off from the War and returning from the Shadowlands; an experience he hoped not to have to repeat until it was his actual time. As he sat at the dinner table with his daughter Nimue and buddy Draco his thoughts lingered on his late wife. He wondered which of the different afterlives she was granted. He knew she passed some time before the “machine of death” had broken so he took some solace in that she was happy in her afterlife and not trapped in the Maw. He did wish he’d had time to search her out.

Bowen snapped out of his thoughts when he felt something strange tug at him from deep inside. Looking across the table at Draco the two shared a glance of understanding. The Dwarf disguised Black Dragon was feeling something pulling at him. Something they hadn’t felt in some time.

"You felt it too?" Draco asked of the Dwarven knight. “I’m not sure how to explain it, but something has happened. a shift of sorts.” Draco was being pulled almost instinctively North but didn’t quite understand why. Only that his instincts were demanding he leave.

"Very well." Bowen responded between sips of his ale, “I feel it too. First, we need to head to Stormwind and report to Turalyon. With King Anduin still missing he is acting Monarch of the Alliance.” Draco was going to object, wanting instead to leave immediately but was silenced when Bowen lifted his hand. "I understand old friend, but as a member of the former Sons of Lothar he was also my commanding officer during the Draenor Campaign. As a Knight of Stormwind, I-- We have our duty."

Draco reluctantly agreed though he wanted it known it was under great protest. The three dwarves finished their dinner as Nimue cleaned up. Bowen couldn’t stand how much his little one had grown. She reminded him so much of her mother Raedra. "We’ll leave tomorrow at first light."

As the Morning sun shined over the Peaks of Aerie Bowen and Draco were finishing up packing for the long trip South to Stormwind. The pair had no idea what had awaited them on their trip, but Bowen packed his armor and weapons and prepared to mount up. Draco looked over at Bowen knowing it would take several days even on his great wings. "Alright, I think that is enough. You are not the one who’s going to have to carry all that. I am."

Sir Bowen simply laughed. “Come now, you act like this is your true form. You are much stronger than even I. Not to mention many hundreds of times bigger.” Bowen watched as Draco sighed and with a puff of smoke and magic he achieved his true Dracon form. The Dragon Draconyxion now looked down on Sir Bowen and Nimue where once a fellow Dwarf once stood.

Sir Bowen looked down at his daughter with a smile. “We knew it wouldn’t last. A Knights job is never done Lass.” Gripping the reigns Bowen gave a final farewell before taking to the sky. "We’ll send word once we know more."

The Trip was long and fraught with troubles at it seemed like the sky itself was trying to attack them. Draconyxion had somehow made it as far as the Badlands before he was forced from the sky by a massive storm. “What’s going on here!?” The dragon cried as he and Bowen tumbled to the ground.

Bowen had been thrown from Draconyxion’s back and landed with a massive crash as a shockwave rippled out from him across the desolate landscape. Draconyxion had changed back into his dwarven visage form just before landing near Bowen. The pair of disoriented dwarves could hear the faint uproar of battle off in the distance. It almost seemed as if it were coming from the eye of the storm. Knowing they wouldn’t be able to fly in this weather two pair rushed towards the sound.

Sir Bowen couldn’t believe what is eyes witnessed. It seemed like the very Azeroth herself was waging war as what had to be hundreds, if not thousands of individuals were fighting off Elementals of Wind, Fire, Water and Earth all at once. It was unheard of. Bowen and Draco both looked at each other in disbelief. Could this have anything to do with what they had felt just days before?

Bowen removed his shield from his back and fastened it to his arm as he gripped the handle of his axe with the other. Looking over at Draco he watched as his once dwarven hands formed into his draconic claws boiling with magmatic fire.
(Sir Bowen & Draco’s Appearances.)

The two Dwarves charged into battle with little regard for their own safety. It wasn’t til they had gotten closer did they realize that not all of the people on the field of battle were “normal”. Well as normal as anyone from Azeroth can be considered. Some looked to be Draconian in nature. It was as if a Dragon and an Elf had a baby. It also was apparent that not everyone was against the Elementals but were somehow empowered by them.

The Battle had raged on seemingly without end for hours until the sky finally parted and the storm calmed. Bowen, his armor cracked and in need of repair had fought alongside every race on Azeroth. It was rare for this to happen and even more so with the War having ended not but a few years prior. He expected some hostility from the Horde races but they fought and bled like brothers.

Bodies from both sides littered the ground, not all surviving the battle that had transpired and giving everything for the victory. Bowen bowed in silence for those lost this day. he then looked over at Draco whom he could tell was extremely troubled. “Something’s going on here! We have to get to Stormwind.” Draconyxion quickly changed back and opened his wings as he took to the sky with Bowen on his back. Several others including the strange Draconids had in turn also taken to the air and followed behind the pair.

It still took several hours but the familiar and welcoming stone of Stormwind City came into view. Draconyxion shifted his course ever so slightly as they made way for Stormwind Keep. Moments later the two dwarves were walking down the stone floors only to be directed to the gardens once entering the throne room.

It was in the garden that Bowen found Turalyon speaking with another of those Draconids he’d noticed not only in the Badlands, but seemingly invading Stormwind. The pair were not alone however as there was a Dwarf Lass and none other than the Dark Prince himself Wrathion. Bowen walked up to Turalyon and saluted as Draco and Wrathion exchanged what Bowen hoped were pleasantries in Draconic.

The small group discussed current events as Sir Bowen learned of the Dragon Isles the Dractyr and the upcoming expedition there. In turn Bowen shared his information of the events in the Badlands. These were troubling times it seemed as the aspect of Piece was shattered once again. Bowen gave a final salute as he took his leave. His armor was in great disrepair, and he would need to remedy that before heading to the home of the dragons.

Bowen and Draco left Stormwind Keep and turned towards the Dwarven District. Bowen knew while not as good as the great forge in Ironforge there was a place there he could repair his armor with little trouble.

2 Likes

:smiley: nice to see someone familiar, yeah I was itching to write and these are nice ways to get that writing exercise.

Fun little story, it will be interesting to see how our characters progress in this story.

Yeah I’ve been lingering here on one character or another after getting my new gaming rig. It wasn’t so fun for Bowen and Draco. They were actually late getting to the Isles IRL. Didn’t quite get him to 60 in time and missed out on launch day due to work.

I think I told you this already but I tried to run it at 55 and got torn to pieces by a pair of Proto drakes just off the shore. So had to run Shadow Lands til 60 and tried again.

1 Like

Something was stirring. Halandor had felt it. Three years of relative peace with the occasional battle between Argent and Scourge were now coming to an end. Three years where he’d raised his adopted son and he and his husband had added another son to their home and arms. Where morning was filled with peaceful farm chores, evenings spent between his loves; his husband; their girlfriend, the mother of their child; and the Blue Dragon to whom he swore his love, loyalty, devotion, and protection.

He was sworn by oath, and had a couple of small boons; the Blue was most adept at Frost; and the boon given augmented Halandor’s abilities in both Runic Frost, but also he had mastered some from the Mage school as well, giving him more ranged offense than most Ebon Knights. He also bore a small patch of scale behind his left ear and along his inner right thigh, though these were naught more than the symbol of his oath.

But there was one thig he did not expect.

The pull. the sudden desire to go some place he’d never been, never seen. One that he’d only heard of in legends. A place his love, his Patron, hadn’t even been to. He felt it keenly and deeply. He had to answer the call. Whether it was because he was Oathsworn or if he was feeling his Patron’s feelings at that moment, he did not know; but it was all the same- he would go as soon as he could make the arrangements.

Something was afoot. A new cult seemed to have taken root in Kalimdor, and in the Badlands; elementals seemingly gone rogue and those who seemed to venerate them. Then too was the arrival of the Dracthyr, who claimed to have come from the Dragon Isles. And those Primalists were also on the Dragon Isles.

Finally, a legitimate reason to give into that pull. He and his husband Elric entered his Commander’s office one day, explaining the situation on the Dragon Isles as he understood it. They offered to scout on behalf of the Argent Crusade and identify specific areas that could use their unit’s help for an official deployment. Their scouting mission was approved, and so after making arrangements for their animals and for their children, they joined with one of the early zeppelins to the Isles.

Fulfilling his Oath to his Patron-
And his Oath to Azeroth, her people, and the Crusade.

(Guild deployment currently being planned!)

2 Likes

The day was hot, but that was any and every day in Durotar. Miles of sand all around, weather so hot and dry it could weather the bones of a fresh husk. Few things could live here, even fewer who could thrive. But for Bhemarg, he was one of those few.

He spotted his quarry from a mild distance away, a lone boar twice the size of an adult one with tusks that would make even a troll envious. It hadn’t noticed him, not yet; its attention solely focused on a patch of grass that miraculously still lived despite the environment, retaining a vibrant color that one would expect to find in the forests of Ashenvale. He approached slowly and cautiously, his steps firm but steady. The boar still had its back turned to him, already beginning to dig into the sparse vegetation. It had failed to notice him, or the trap laid carefully beneath until…

SNAP

The grass was snatched away, replaced by a crude but effective vice made of wood and iron. The boar squealed loudly, metal teeth digging into its skin; but not deep enough. A regular boar’s hide was thicker than than most animals, and this one’s was even thicker than that. With a firm hoof it stomped on the trap. Once, twice. On the third it finally snapped, half of it falling to the ground with a dull clang. The boar turned around wildly, scanning the area for any sort of threat. That threat was soon spotted, and was charging at it with a speed that with a wounded leg was too slow to react. The last thing the boar saw was the shadow of an axe, and the wild look of the orc that wielded it.

The boar laid limp on the ground; the axe buried into its skull right between the eyes. Bhemarg took a step back, admiring his work.

“This will be a good meal.” He smiled to himself, already beginning to heave it over his shoulder before he heard the sound of hooves. His axe was already raised, ready for a fight, but he halted when he also heard the clinking of iron.

“I see you’re still terrible at the art of patience.” A voice boomed out like thunder, yet somehow it had a mote of gentleness to it. He recognized such a voice, and knew it well.

“About as terrible as you are at sneaking.” The orc retorted, already lowering his axe. He turned casually to meet the gaze of the figure in front of him, one with massive hooves, broad horns, plate armor that shone like a dusk sun, and a thick beard wrapped at the bottom with a leather knot. He walked over brusquely, looking up at them like they were a tall oak, but he was not threatened; on the contrary, he smiled.

“That is neither here nor there.” The bull bellowed, a stern expression on his face. One however, that didn’t last long, immediately giving way to a chuckle. “It’s good to see you Bhemarg.” He took the orc’s hand in his own, a firm shake and clasp on the shoulder.

“Gaalek, you wily bull.” Bhemarg returned the gesture, more fervently with a laugh of his own. “How the hell are you? How long has it been? A year, a year and a half?”

“Try two.” The tauren corrected with two fat furry fingers outstretched “Have you gotten bad at keeping time as well?”

“Time flies when you’re keeping busy.” The orc shrugged “Even more so when it’s muddled with blood and battle.”

“Which I’m sure you’ve found in abundance.” Gaalek teased roughly with another bellow “As have I.”

“You? I thought you Sun Walkers practiced pacifism and wisdom before violence?”

“The path of the sun does not always shine brightly.” The tauren regarded, nodding sagely “There are always spots of shade that need a forceful glare of the light now and again. I doubt An’she will mind.”

“Ha! I hope not. You’re a damn good fighter Gaalek, damn near better than me.”

“Near? I may have to challenge that in the future little brother, but right now…” Gaalek trailed off, his furry fingers combing through his furrier beard, the dark brown hairs bristling. He turned his eyes up, brown orbs that had the look of seriousness and stoicism that the Tauren were known for. “I’m afraid my visit isn’t accidental, nor its purpose to solely catch up.”

Bhemarg looked back, his single red eye poring into their own. A single look was all it took. He nodded, hoisting the boar on his back more comfortably before gesturing with his head. “Come on then. My hut isn’t far.”

The hut in question was small for an orc like Bhemarg, much more so for a tauren. For the both of them, it was beyond a tight fit, like clutter in a wardrobe on the brim of bursting. Although somehow, it worked. Bhemarg sat on one end of the hut, Gaalek on the other. The former was in the process of skinning the carcass, his arms wrist deep in blood and guts.

“The Primalists.” He regarded, a thoughtful yet nonchalant look on his face “Aye, I know of them. Have had a few run ins with them across Kalimdor, near the Barrens.”

“As have I.” Gaalek said, his hooves clasped together while sitting cross legged. His horns threatened to breach the roof of the hut, but he tucked his head enough to where they just skirted the surface. “I was escorting a caravan through the Stonetalon Mountains when I saw the sky. Thunder roared, but the ether was clear. The earth quaked, yet the ground was calm. A strange phenomenon; one I felt I had to investigate. Fortunately, I did not have to go far. Nor did I have to search for long to find the culprits.” He took a drink from the cup offered by the orc. It was fermented milk, sour to the taste, yet nourishing to the body, or so he was told. He could only hope so by the taste. “These Primalists… what do you know about them?”

“About as much as anyone else that’s come across them. They’re shamans, have to be, the way they can bend the elements to their use.”

“Bend.” The tauren repeated thoughtfully “A poor choice of words little brother, as that would imply that they are forcing the elements to submit. On the contrary, I believe the power is given to them, willingly.”

“Bah! Impossible. I am no shaman Gaalek, but even I know the elements can’t be demanded with, only bargained, not unless it’s by force.”

“And yet the elementals are calm and unperturbed.” He countered “At the least from the expert opinion of a shaman associate of mine. No, something else is at work I fear. Something that somehow allows these Primalists to use the elements with great power, without forcing the elementals themselves. It’s almost as if…”

“…They are borrowing that power from another entity.”

“Exactly.” Gaalek nodded approvingly “It seems you can be clever when you make the effort.”

“Quiet.” The orc growled, rummaging through the boar’s stomach, heaving out a pile of guts and intestines. He sat them on the floor with a loud flop before continuing “So, if not the elementals, then what? What is giving these Primalists such power?”

“A good question. One whose answer I imagine lies with the dragons, and their home.”

Bhemarg paused, his gaze turning up to Gaalek with a realization; one that soon after annoyed him “So that’s why you’ve come.” He surmised, unamused. He took a nearby knife, beginning to slice the boar’s hide. “The answer is no.”

The tauren sighed, half-expecting the answer to be such, but undeterred, he continued on. “Bhemarg, I know you are against it, but there is peace now. There is no reason we can’t-“

“I said, no.” The orc repeated, his tone dangerously close to a growl “I don’t care about the peace. I don’t care about the armistice, however temporary it is. I will not work with Alliance scum.”

“Even with everything going on? With all that is happening to the land? This isn’t about the Horde and Alliance. This concerns the world as a whole. It concerns all of Azeroth!”

“It concerns a group of fanatics who have happened to start a few forest fires and thunderstorms.”

“You are understating the matter.”

“Even so, the matter is in hand. And in the hands of scholars no less. This is a problem for learned fellows, not warriors. Not yet. And even if it were, I would not work with the Alliance, not again. Not for all the gold and accolades in the world.”

“It’s not the Alliance! Not truly. It is just the Explorer’s League. A neutral party of scholars who-“

“A branch is still part of the same tree, no matter how far it is from the trunk.” With a firm tug, Bhemarg pulled the hide clean off, leaving the carcass as bare and pink as a flayed limb. The blood dripped from his hands as he hung the hide on the back of the lining, as did the words from his mouth, laced in barely hidden rage. “Mark me Gaalek. I will not work with Alliance, or any group affiliated with them. I will not shed my blood- mine or anyone else’s, for a faction that would sooner discriminate and betray than honor and protect those at their side. They are hypocrites and backstabbers, waiting like snakes in the grass to poison us with false promises and deceive us. Not I, big brother. Not I.”

Gaalek listened silently, his breath like that of an ox: slow, steady, and all too patiently taken. And with the patience of a tree, he continued. “You say you don’t wish to work with deceivers or cowards. Then what of the Broken Shore? The Fourth War? Did you forget what the Horde did?”

A crack rang throughout the air. It was sudden and short-lived, but audible, very much so. The ground lay beneath Bhemarg’s hand, dented and cracked from his fist and seeped in red from the blood that pooled, turning the orange earth a deeper shade of crimson. The orc turned to Gaalek, a wild and angered look in his eye that could only be described as a rabid animal.

“I never forget.” He said slowly “Especially the Broken Shore. And the Horde did not do that. That undead harlot did. She-”

“She sounded the retreat,” Gaalek finished for him “and we followed through with it, leaving the Alliance to fend for itself. She ordered the attack on Teldrassil, ordered the tree and its inhabitants to burn. And we carried the torches.”

“I did not.” He barked back immediately “Nor did you.”

“The Horde did, and we are a part of the Horde.” He regarded the orc with a calm countenance, like a parent easing the tantrum of a child. “She was warchief. Whatever her choices, the Horde followed. Maybe not as a whole, but it followed. That blood, those bodies, the actions and repercussions from her command, that is our responsibility, our sin to bear. Our legacy to move past. I thought you of all people, little brother, would understand the necessity of moving past one’s tarnished legacy to forge a better one.”

He had moved his mouth to shout, to protest, but nothing came. Nothing but the open air and a silent scream as he glared back at the Tauren. And even that, after a moment, faded away. He looked to his fist as he brought it up, the blood dry and the knuckles sore, but it bothered him far less than the turmoil in his breast. Inside he felt rage; rage and wrath that he couldn’t swing an axe at but could nonetheless reel from its blow. And through that rage and wrath, shame. Shame that Gaalek was right, about the Horde and its own sins.

“A branch is still part of the same tree, no matter how far it is from the trunk.” Gaalek repeated the words “And you and I, little brother, are a part of that tree. A part of how it flourishes, and how it rots.” He walked up, placing a firm hand on the orc’s shoulder and looking at him with a stern but meaningful glare. “We are all moving past our sins and mistakes. No matter the group or the person. But this threat, if left unchecked, won’t allow us to do that. The Primalists are a threat Bhemarg, and if they aren’t stopped, they will bring Azeroth to its knees. How can the Horde forge a place for itself in a world about to be destroyed? How can you build a legacy on a pile of ruin? You may hate the words little brother, but you know I am right.”

Bhemarg was still silent, his eyes turned to his fist, then at the boar and its hide. Already flies began to gather round its carcass, the buzzing the only audible sound throughout the hut. Then there came a sigh, a heavy and defeated one.

“I hate when you’re right you damn bull.” Bhemarg huffed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

Gaalek laughed at that “I’m sure you are. As I’m sure others are who feel the same when they know they are wrong and the other party is right.”

The orc walked forward, shooing the flies away with a fat hand before grabbing his axe. He brought it to his face, the iron sheening dully “I won’t work with the Alliance.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem, since the Alliance won’t officially be there.”

“I see one soldier there Gaalek, if a single one breaks the peace…”

“They won’t. As with the Legion, we have bigger problems to deal with no?”

“That remains to be seen. But you’re right about one thing. This is a threat, one that needs tending to like an executioner. Fine. I’ll come along. But I’ll help in my own way. Leave the scholars to their books, the researchers to their experiments, I’ll handle the Primalists and their machinations the way I’m best at. With blood and thunder.”

Gaalek smiled at that “Few are better than you at it, me included; when I’ve the blessing of An’she at least.”

“A challenge I’ll have to take you up on in the future.” He reminded with a drawl before shrugging “But for now, tell me more about these Primalists and this homeland of the dragons. The more I know, the better I’m prepared. And the better I’m prepared, the greater the work I can put into the saga.”

The tauren regarded the orc thoughtfully “And what saga pray tell would that be? That of Bhemarg the Manic?”

The axe, brought overhead, slammed into the carcass with a wet slice and a firm crunch. He looked up to Gaalek, a splash of blood on his face that matched his hair and left eye, and complimented the wicked grin on his face all too well. “Who else?”

3 Likes

“You trying to polish a hole in it, Zhan?”

The Night Elf’s voice dragged the warrior out of her reverie with all the shock of yanking her through a portal. Zhanxie looked down at what she was doing, the single spot on her shield that she had absentmindedly polished to an absurd mirror shine, and then across the table at the blue haired Night Elf. She wore the smile of someone concerned, but trying not to show it. “What? Oh. I’m sorry Lynore. Head in the Nether, I guess.”

“I noticed. Everything okay?”

Zhanxie looked down at her shield, “Oh? Oh yeah. Everything’s alright.”

Awkward silence for a few seconds, the Night Elf knowing that the pandaren was lying, the pandaren not wanting to open up. “Nice to see you pick up the sword and board again though,” Lynore finally said. “Feels like it’s been a while since I’ve seen you with it. What made you give up the two-handers?”

Zhanxie stared at the spot on her shield, a thousand responses coming to mind, bouncing off the inside of her skull. Some answers facetious - excuses - others true.

I missed them. My arms were getting tired from those swords hahaha fake laughter. I pulled a muscle in my shoulder wince to make it convincing. Someone’s gotta keep you rogues from getting killed. I’m tired of being so angry all the time. I’m not angry all the time anymore - just tired. I miss my family - I haven’t talked to them in years. I’m afraid that if I open up and reach out again they’ll see how angry I’ve become and I’ll scare them off. I’m scared of who I am when I’m in a berserker rage. I miss the rest of our unit, but I’m not angry about their deaths anymore just sad I’m tired of meaningless fightingI’mscaredofmyself

She just sighed, shaking the thoughts away. She licked the back of her thumb and rubbed it on the overly polished spot, hoping to smudge it some so it looked as polished as the rest of her shield.

“I think I just want to feel like I’m protecting something again.”

1 Like

Seems to be several Warriors in here. Where are all the other classes? Are none of them going to the Isles?

((I’ve abandoned retail for classic because tbh the game has just changed so much it is no longer recognizable to me as Warcraft. I want to like DF but for some reason I just find it insufferable atm.))

Silence.

For the first time in what felt like eternity, Tanthelara could actually hear silence. The rustle of leaves as the wind blew through the treetops of Eversong… the waves of Lake Elrendar gently lapping at the shore… the sounds of wildlife, all unadulterated by the Void’s corrupting whispers. The shadowy presence lingered still at the furthest recesses of her psyche, compelled to abandon the territory it had spent years in claiming.

It was good to be home. To feel the sun. To hear the wind. To smell the flowers bloom. To touch the grass in the field. After years within the realms of the dead, to experience life again was a blessing that would never get taken for granted again.

A golden sunbeam from the bright skies above bore down on the headstone in front of her. The years of her absence had not been kind to her beloved’s grave site-- the clearing, overgrown; the marker was crumbling at its base, and lichen had all but taken over the engraving. She dropped her backpack with a heavy thud and, after taking a seat on it, withdrew her dagger from its sheath in the small of her back.

Despite all these years, it still glimmered with the same unrivaled brilliance as it did when it was whole. When it was his weapon. She placed her thumb on its point and quickly raked it down its edge, rending the flesh of her digit and drawing blood.

“Life, for life” she whispered, the words manifesting themselves under her breath.

She smeared a crimson streak across the dagger’s side and watched as it slowly absorbed into the blade. She could feel a mystical presence begin to siphon energy from her-- not unlike a spell, but not akin to a feat of summoning, either. Her mouth became dry as if she had been hiking in the Barrens desert for days on end, her eyelids heavy as though she had absconded sleep for weeks. The ritual was working. The agreement was being honored. They were keeping their word.

A chill swept over Tanthelara, manifesting itself into a powerful wind that flattened the overgrown weeds flanking her. Moments later, a powerful but gentle hand gripped her shoulder.

“…Tan? Is that you?” the familiar voice called out.

The priestess wiped the tears welling up in her eyes on her sleeve.

“Fahr?” she choked out.

The manifestation of her beloved smiled and knelt next to her. His presence chilled the air around her and his countenance appeared washed out, but it was indeed him. He smiled at her, holding her chin up to bring her gaze towards his.

“Hey now… there’s no need for this” he said, motioning towards the new tears beginning to form in her eyes.

She wiped her eyes again, trying to compose herself.

“I just… I never thought I’d see you again once I got back. It feels like its been an eternity enough as-is…”

“What do you mean? Everything feels like it just happened yesterday.”

“Its been nearly a year. I’ve come here many times but never had the courage to perform the ritual… if it failed, I don’t know if I could…”

Fahr sat down on the ground next to her, his presence causing the baubles of her backpack to shimmer in his ghostly light.

“So what makes this time different?”

“There’s so much going on in the world. Your brother is missing. The dragonflights are returning. The Horde has reached out to me for an expedition to the Dragon Isles, and I… I don’t know if I have it in me to do it anymore.”

“But you have come this far, haven’t you? You’ve endured so much-- the Burning Legion. Arthas. War and strife and all sorts of unease. Why do you falter now?”

Tanthelara placed her hand on Fahr’s gauntlet.

“Because I have no need to endure any longer. Because I’ve finally been freed of the accursed Void that fell on me the same day you fell to the Scourge…” she paused for a moment to bring his hand to her cheek, “because I have you now. Whenever I need you, wherever I need you, I can call you.”

Fahr sighed heavily.

“My love, yes, but at what cost? The price you pay to bring me forth is high already. You know what the agreement states. It’ll get higher and higher each time. The realm of the dead does not readily relinquish that which it claims, and greedily accepts those who seek to join it. You know what the eventual price will be.”

The paladin pulled away from his betrothed and stood upright, almost as if called to attention.

“My time here is almost gone. What happened to the priestess who wanted to make a difference? What happened to the woman who wanted to ease the suffering in this world, who wanted to travel far and wide helping innocents senselessly caught up in conflict… the one who refused to idly sit by, whose faith in the Light was stronger than anyone else I knew? What happened, Tan?”

Tanthelara stood and moved to embrace him.

“I am no longer that person. I’ve suffered so much. Felt so much pain. So much sorrow. The Light within me is all but an ember now.”

Fahr wrapped his arms around her as his presence began to fade.

“No… its still there. Buried deep. I still see it within you. Within your soul. I cannot tell you what path to take, but I can tell you this – your journey is far from over.”

Another strong gust of wind filled the clearing, surrounding the two as they stood in their embrace. When it settled, despite her best effort, she found herself standing alone in the forest once more, his final words echoing in her mind.

((Its been a while since I wrote anything, hopefully it wasn’t too bad. Never saying never as far as DF is concerned, but for now I’m focusing on an alt timeline due to playing classic. It may or may not get posted here, we’ll see))

2 Likes

My goodness. I checked this for a few days with no posts, then come back on the forums to several posts :smiley: I enjoyed reading them all! Will probably have another lil prompt in the coming week baring my ADHD causing motivation problems XD

4 Likes