[Prompt] Desert Adventure

(Prompt idea from Morician, adapted to fit prompt style) (Story Prompt)

Whether you joined the fight in Uldum or just happen through, you find yourself amongst the dunes. A sparkle in the sand catches your eye. Upon investigation, you find the fragment of an amulet. Best guess estimated that four fragments of that size would make a whole trinket. On the back you see

“In wh
Your w”

As you stare at this piece, the ground rumbles. Someone is coming back.

Do you flee, or stay and fight? Do you take the fragment? Do you venture to find the other pieces?

Info

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfectly match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in the archive thread. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

Disclaimer: I cannot take full credit for every prompt. Some of these I create on my own, some are prompts I’ve seen that I’ve taken a WoW spin to, and some I’ve seen and used in the past, some are ideas spoken in passing between me and coworkers, or guildmates, or some are offered directly from folks on the forums. If I’ve been directly given a prompt from another person, I will credit them unless they do not want to. Otherwise, know some of these are gained through many means.

Archive: Kersia's Prompt Archive and Discussion

i stay and presume its a friendly walking up. If they want a battle i got zero problem replenishing my soul gems.
I believe my character would ask his demons if they know anything, the likelyhood they would know anything is close to impossible so id likely just drop it off at home base in uldum.

Scavenging is past time for vulpera… but these dunes shift with lashing tentacles and gnashing maws. Id rather stay clear of the twisted old god appendages

1 Like

The rider’s black, flowing robes billowed in the wind as his steed galloped through the sea of shifting dunes. Any man this far out from a settlement on his own would best be en route to a resupply caravan lest his final lesson be one on the cruelty of the sun and scorching sands.

But concerns of heat stroke or thirst were a non issue to the rider and especially his horse who was little more than bleached bone underneath the ebon armor and black caparison. The rider’s undead nature was also somewhat concealed under the raven shaped helm of a battle apothecary - though partly for vanity’s sake. Even in life Benedikt’s fair Alteraci complexion would’ve likely been seared by the merciless rays so he had little interest in testing it’s effects on his now porcelain undead flesh.

There was however the practical matter of the helm’s utility. Like most Forsaken technology his helmet had been reversed engineered from Scourgetek. Initially designed to seek out heartbeats - vital for finding Kaldorei marksmen in Darkshore - Benedikt had improved it’s capacities with the aid of Mechagnome technology.

Benedikt clicked Zorn with his heels to inform the bonesteed to halt as they topped a sturdy dune. His view of the sands and sky was colored with a dim orchid as his he initaited a scan. The first pass noted the biomatter of unremarkable desert critters. The second one reported no interesting plant physiology. Then came the third and fourth without any pertinent data. Benedikt had already moved on to thinking how he was ever going to get the sand out of Zorn’s caparison when his visor chimed. His eyes flicked to the data scrawling across the screen. A small metallic object of unknown alchemical composition was buried several yards away in the dunes.

Curious, Benedikt dismounted and levitated over to the object. He dug it out and was immediately inundated with a flood of data which made the object difficult to simply view. He removed his helmet to get a proper look at the thing while muttering harshly about Mechagnome eccentricities.

‘In wh’, he turned it over, ‘Your W’. Benedikt cocked an eyebrow and twiddled the metal between his claws. There had to be more pieces to this object nearby. He turned his attention back to his helmet that he’d assumed had been chiming with metallurgical metrics.

His eyes widened when he closed the helmet and saw it had been detecting an alarming number of organisms converging on his location. He turned to see a mound of sand rising up near Zorn. It reached about three feet in height before it’s top popped like a pimple, erupting with a throng of Aqir scarabs that spilled over eachother in a plum plume of skittering hatred. Benedikt reached for his weapon as he noted other mounds begining to form around him.

To be continued

2 Likes

Imbrei grumbled as the last of the Centaur bandits fell, reaching down to pick the amulet back up. In her opinion it was a gaudy thing, the gem clearly large and a fine cut to show off the owner’s wealth, surrounded by tiny diamonds and a setting of gold.

She tossed into her bag, where is probably fell to the bottom among the rest of the junk. Morgane would like it, she was sure. Big, Gold, Shiny and magical where the mage’s favorite things, and she was always digging stuff up to find more shiny things. She’d put it together and do whatever with it.

1 Like