[Prompt] Change and Adaptation

It’s been a long period of time since you last visited where you are visiting today. You have many memories of the place, and find comfort in that familiarity. However, upon arrival, you find everything is different. Whether you are visiting a friend and find they have completely changed their home layout, or perhaps your troop barracks have moved and shifted. Routines you used to know are now in the dust and you have to adapt to new protocols, new routines, new almost everything. The people themselves are unchanged, only the environment.

How does your character react when the norm has been changed dramatically? Do they excel at adaptation on the fly or do they feel left behind? Do they care that the familiar is now unfamiliar, or do they just go with the flow? Do they find camaraderie in the changes with their fellows, or do they join the choir of antagonizing changes?

Info

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfectly match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in the archive thread. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

Disclaimer: I cannot take full credit for every prompt. Some of these I create on my own, some are prompts I’ve seen that I’ve taken a WoW spin to, and some I’ve seen and used in the past, some are ideas spoken in passing between me and coworkers, or guildmates, or some are offered directly from folks on the forums. If I’ve been directly given a prompt from another person, I will credit them unless they do not want to. Otherwise, know some of these are gained through many means.

Archive: Kersia's Prompt Archive and Discussion

Difficult prompt to work with, especially with the cliched amnesia backstory, but after thinking about it for some time I think I got something.

He stood still in front of the two unnamed graves. He always found himself coming here; though, he wasn’t sure why. Whenever he had time to stop and be comfortable he would make his way here. To a small graveyard in the remains of Pyrewood, and he would always come here to these two graves with no names.

He would stand frozen in place, like a glacier, for hours before finally carving a rune into a stone, setting it down, and leaving. He didn’t know why, he could hardly remember this place, but it helped him stay connected to his humanity. However little remained.

This time was different. He stood in front of these graves, and he stared at the flowers that had been planted. Two roses, one in each grave, had been planted onto the dirt mounds. This disturbed him. He wasn’t a creature of habit, but this one habit helped him connect to the world. Forget what he had become.

“Who are you” he finally spoke “why do you call to me?” The gravestone offered no reply.

The Worgen snarled. He was angered. This small habit had been comforting to him, not that he remembered much what comfort was, but it bothered him nonetheless.

After some time his expression softened. “Maybe you’re right” he said to the tombstones “maybe it is time for change.”

2 Likes

The Worgen looked out from the railing of the boat as he approached the towering tree that housed Darnassus. He smiled softly, and he felt the wolf retreat. He blinked slowly, and when he opened his eyes there was a Man standing where the Worgen once was.

It had been years since that fateful day where he almost died; poisoned coursed through his veins as he lay clutching the small Elven child. Doing everything he could to protect her as she muttered prayers to Elune. She had saved his life, so as had become tradition he would return at the beginning of every month.

He always brought a small pouch of coins, some candy or food from the far off lands, and stories from his adventures. He looked forward to these moments; they seemed to be the only moments of peace he had in this neverending war. He riffled through his bags ensuring everything was there, and when the boat docked he payed his fare and bid farewell to the captain.

The Man had become known in Darnassus. Everyone had gotten used to seeing him walk towards the orphanage. Stories travel fast, and the tale of the orphan girl was an interesting one. He walked into the small house, more of a hollow tree, and greeted the matron, but she only shook her head.

“She is gone” she said “the Sisters of Elune saw fit to make her a priestess. Make your way to the temple.” The Man thanked the Matron and left, but as he walked to the temple he scowled a bit. Perhaps it was selfish. He knew she would grow at some point, but having his monthly routine of peace disrupted bothered him. He couldn’t quite shake the feeling something was wrong.

He walked into the temple, careful to respect the customs of his host, and inquired about the small girl. “You might see her as a small girl I am sure, but she has been a woman for plenty of time now” the priestess he spoke to began “she took up the call of Elune, and she chose to take her teachings to the world. To bring light to the dark corners, and to make adventures of her own.” The Man thanked the priestess and left.

The Worgen sat on the docks of Rutheran village. He had given the Matron his gifts, and now he sat in contemplation. He was in turmoil. He knew these days would not last forever, but he had dreaded their arrival. He felt responsible, for if he hadn’t brought his stories perhaps she wouldn’t have left Darnassus. The world was dangerous, and she was out there. In a way he also felt abandoned. Had she forgotten him perhaps? Night Elves saw the world so much different than he did.

It was long after the sun had set that the Worgen got up and shook off his gloom. If she was out there he would find her, and he would hear her stories. Change was difficult to deal with, but he knew change was vital. To adapt is to live. If he could adapt on the battlefield; he could adapt off the battlefield. He set off back to Stormwind; opting for a portal instead of his usual boat ride.

The Worgen had dreaded change, but he would soon learn that was the only thing that saved the girl he cared so much for.

2 Likes

The Durotar sun blazed brightly overhead, its heat bearing down upon the priestess as she departed the Zandalari vessel that had been her home for far more days than she had hoped for. Orgrimmar, while not as impressive as the Great Pyramid of Dazar’Alor nor as resplendent as her own home of Silvermoon, was certainly a welcome sight -if naught for the markedly lower humidity. Wiping the sweat from her brow, she began the walk to the gates of the Horde capital. As she traveled, a certain uneasiness settled upon her. Something had changed. Granted, she had expected such after hearing about what happened between Varok and the Warchief, but as is often the case, hearing and experiencing are very different.

As she neared the great iron portcullis bearing the emblem of the Horde, the landscape around her felt more and more strange, foreign. Along the walls prisoners - members of the Horde - were rounded up and processed for their loyalty to the Banshee Queen. Though a vast majority were Forsaken, the outlying faces disturbed her the most - orcs, trolls, and other elves - all being shackled together and led by accompaniments of Liadrin’s Blood Knights to imprisonment in places she dared not imagine, given the knowledge she had of the Matriarch’s profane rituals in years gone by.

Even the Blood Knights looked different. She was well-accustomed to their crimson-on-ebony platemail, however gone were the gilded steel and scarlet crystal polearms, now replaced with similar black-iron steel ones. Many of the Knights themselves did not bear the characteristic mark of fel as she and numerous other sin’dorei did. The differences were minor, but tangible for her, causing fears in the back of her mind to swell. It felt like her people were being replaced.

One of the Blood Knights stopped her at the gates as he finished binding the wrists of a Forsaken, and requested she identify herself as well as explain what business she had in the capital. She informed him that she was Tanthelara Rosecrown, one of the Horde’s champions returning from Zandalar and that she was to be in Orgrimmar for a day’s rest before restocking on supplies and setting out for Uldum to assist in the fight against the growing qiraji threat.

Seemingly satisfied, the elf waved her in before abruptly blocking her path again with his polearm.

“I’m sorry, but there is one final question. Do you hold any loyalty for the traitor, Sylvanas Windrunner?” he inquired, shifting his gaze to meet hers, the paladin’s eyes burning with the golden might of the Sunwell.

“Well,” she began, wiping the sweat from her brow, “I hold -er, held her in high regard obviously for her defense against Arthas’s Scourge, of course, and for helping our people cement a place in the Horde. I mean, without her there’s no telling how soon those forest trolls would-”

“Do you harbor any loyalty to the Banshee Queen?” demanded the Blood Knight, cutting her sentence short.

Tanthelara took a deep breath and matched his gaze with her own, fel-tinged one. “No, I do not. Whatever person she is now is not the same Sylvanas as who served Silvermoon years ago.”

The paladin stood motionless, examining her with gaze every bit as oppressive as the midday sun. She held her ground, looking straight ahead and doing her best to show no emotion. Then, as if the conflict had never happened, he gave the signal for the portcullis to open and welcomed her to the capital city.

Inside, Orgrimmar was alive with activity. More peacekeeping troops patrolled the streets, with small detachments carrying prisoners in tow. She strolled casually along the Drag, taking refuge from the scorching heat in the massive banners lining the chasm walls and soaking in the ambiance and conversations of townsfolk, merchants, and peons alike all discussing the Horde’s fate in the wake of Sylvanas’s betrayal.

The sun had began to set by the time she made her way to the cooling waters of the Valley of Wisdom. Finding an empty, clear spot out of the way of the main stretch of road she dropped her traveler’s pack and knelt at the water’s edge, splashing herself on the face to wash away the sweat and dust that had caked on it. Then, after taking a swig of the coconut water she had brought with her from Zandalar, she kicked her shoes off and sat on the edge of the stone, plunging her legs into the water up to her knees.

“Too bad I’m not a mage,” she thought to herself, "otherwise an invisibility spell would be all I need for a bath, which sounds rather nice right now."

A bony hand on her shoulder snapped her from her reverie. It was a Forsaken, one in a rather good and complete state compared to some of the more desiccated and decayed ones she had seen over the years, and remarkably devoid of the characteristic stench she had come to associate with the undead.

“I saw you at the gates,” the woman spoke in a creaky voice, “all things considered, I guess we should be thankful that Sylvanas’ true colors showed themselves when they did…”

Tanthelara nodded, gazing at her reflection in the water and the minnows nipping at her toes beneath the surface.

“There’s no telling what would have happened to us if she was allowed to continue any longer,” continued the Forsaken, with a slight chuckle in her weary voice, “I’ll be honest with you - it was rather relieving to see Liadrin’s guards showing a distrust of even their own kind. Reassuring, even.”

The priestess glanced at the undead. Judging by the subtlety with which she had approached her and the gruesome daggers she carried, likely a rogue.

“Yeah, if you say so. There’s something about this current crop of Blood Knights that unsettles me, though. Maybe its the eyes,” she said, turning to the rogue, “they don’t bear the mark of fel like so many of us once did. They probably don’t know about the struggles we went through, about having to choose whether to risk surrendering your will to demons or losing your mind to the hunger. Surely you can relate— I’m sorry, who are you again?”

The Forsaken took a seat besides Tanthelara and kicked her boots off, revealing the bare, bleached bones of her feet and sticking them in the water. Nearly instantly, the minnows dispersed.

“I am Soliena, and I know all about you, Tanthelara Rosecrown.”

Soliena’s bluntness with her words and sudden shift in tone raised alarms in the priestess’s mind. All she could do was smile at the rogue and hope she hadn’t been found out. Roused by her unease, the void reached out to her in whispers all demanding that she crush this imbecile’s rotting brain where she sat and dispose of the body in the pond. Instead, with her hand that was obscured from the rogue’s view, she started to subtly trace in the dirt an incantation for a shield. Whatever this rogue had planned, she needed to be prepared for. The shield wouldn’t hold forever, but could buy her enough time to get a more debilitating spell off and then find a guard.

“I know about your support for the Banshee Queen.” the rogue said in a nonchalant fashion that made Tanthelara’s chest tighten. “The game has changed, young priestess. Saurfang’s rebellion forced the Dark Lady’s hand, necessitating her exit from the Horde.”

The elf sat motionless, in shock. After a moment to collect herself, she decided to call the Forsaken’s bluff.

“Sylvanas betrayed the Horde! I only supported her as I would have supported any Warchief. Whatever allegiance I had to her, from either her days as Silvermoon’s Ranger-General, or as the Banshee Queen who helped my people solidify their place in the Horde, vanished when she killed Varok.” She pleaded, silently hoping that the Light would lend its authority to her voice, and that the Void would sweeten her words in the undead’s ears.

“The Dark Lady continues to watch over us. She knows the Void is not so easily defeated, and has united us all in preparation for a much larger threat. I am not your enemy, Tanthelara, and if we are to see the day our true battle is at hand, I need you to trust me.” the rogue explained, her words echoing the sentiment felt by the priestess the numerous times she questioned the Warchief’s orders.

Everything happens for a reason.” Tanthelara thought to herself before speaking. “Why should I trust you?” she meekly asked, unsure exactly of how to react to the Soliena’s words.

The Forsaken simply grinned, the skin around her lips and on her cheeks cracking, revealing the teeth underneath.

((this one was rather difficult to work with, and more so with the ending/reveal I had in mind. Oh well, hope you all enjoyed!))

2 Likes